DIY/Crafts

How to Etch a Glass Vase with Chevron Stripes

DIY Chevron Etched Glass Vase at TidyMom.net

Something is in the air this summer.  It seems everyone we know is getting married.  So with all the weddings and showers, I’ve been trying to come up with a few unique gift ideas.

Have you ever etched glass at home, with etching cream? A few years ago I made an etched “Enjoy” trifle bowl, and this time I thought I could try something fun with a flower vase.   It’s a great DIY that will turn a generic glass vases into something that ends up looking elegant and chic.

I decided to see if I could make chevron stripes on my round glass vase.  My OCD had me a little nervous about getting everything lined up just right.  But you know what? I basically eyeballed most of it, and it turn out just as I hoped!

Here’s what you will need to Etch a glass vase with Chevron

Supplies to etch glass vase

Pin It
How to etch glass .  tutorial at TidyMom.net I really did a lot of eyeballing with this project, and it all worked out.  Here’s what I did.

• be sure to cut the tape with scissors so you have a clean end to work with.

• work your way up the vase, again trying to eyeball as you go (just be patient, this part took the longest, trying to line everything up)

• Using the sponge brush, coat the exposed glass with a thin to medium layer of etching cream ( large areas can be tricky) be sure to wear a glove on the hand that you are handling the vase with, you don’t want to get the etching cream on your skin.

• Leave the etching cream to sit on the glass for at least ten minutes.

• With a gloved hand, carry the vase to a sink, to rinse to remove etching cream (do NOT do this in a ceramic sink)

• remove tape and dry to reveal your beautifully etched chevron striped vase!

DIY Chevron Etched Vase at TidyMom.net This glass vase is a great DIY gift idea not only for weddings and showers, but Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Christmas, birthdays…or just because!

Have you made any gifts lately?

DIY:  How to Etch Glass at TidyMom.net

Craving more? Sign up for the TidyMom newsletter to stay on top of what’s new right to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest for all of the latest updates

This post is a collaboration with ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape , whose dedication to recognizing and rewarding creativity led to this post.  Get started and visit ScotchBlue Ribbons on Facebook to learn how to win some cool prizes.

32 Responses to “How to Etch a Glass Vase with Chevron Stripes”

1. MichelleH posted on July 11, 2012 at 7:57 am (#

That is very cool!

2. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective posted on July 11, 2012 at 8:25 am (#

Cheryl, I’m SO impressed! I’m not very crafty, but I think I could do this. :)

3. Maria posted on July 11, 2012 at 8:28 am (#

Love this! I need to make one so Josh can bring me some fresh flowers:)

4. Kristen posted on July 11, 2012 at 8:37 am (#

This is really pretty, Cheryl!

5. Megan Pence posted on July 11, 2012 at 8:39 am (#

With my wedding in t-minus 38 days – I was going to artificially antique all my old milk bottles and some mason jars – now I’m changing my game plan and etching them instead! BEAUTIFUL!!

6. Colleen posted on July 11, 2012 at 9:15 am (#

What a beautiful vase, I have some plain jars I’m going to try this on. Thanks for sharing this idea!!

7. Becca from It's Yummilicious posted on July 11, 2012 at 9:21 am (#

coolest. idea. ever.

Who knew something so pretty could be SO easy to make?! Thanks for the great idea, Cheryl!

8. kim-todays creative blog posted on July 11, 2012 at 10:12 am (#

Great idea! I love it! It sure adds a bit more personality than just a plain ole vase!

9. Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] posted on July 11, 2012 at 10:34 am (#

Wow! That is so pretty. I just love that. I look forward to other crafts you have in the queue!

10. Deliciously Organic posted on July 11, 2012 at 10:59 am (#

What a fantastic idea! Thank you for the instructions!

11. Lucy Lean posted on July 11, 2012 at 12:54 pm (#

Anything ‘homemade’ but looks like you found it at a Tiffany estate sale is good with me! Perfect gift. Do you think you could use etch cream on jam jars? I’m obsessed!

12. Tickled Red posted on July 11, 2012 at 2:13 pm (#

Great job love! It looks gorgeous :D

13. aida mollenkamp posted on July 11, 2012 at 3:38 pm (#

Love this project – thanks for sharing!

14. Julie posted on July 11, 2012 at 6:33 pm (#

So pretty! It would make an awesome gift! Thanks for sharing the step-by-step tutorial!

15. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted on July 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm (#

I’ve been waiting for this one! I love the look of the vase, and this is one craft project I think I can tackle!

16. nest of posies posted on July 11, 2012 at 10:57 pm (#

cheryl!!!

you’re on a roll! this is beautiful! love the styling too!

xo
    kellie

17. Alica Froster posted on July 12, 2012 at 5:27 am (#

How fantastic!! That’s look really attractive. I will try for it now. Just watching and reading its making instruction carefully. Will come back soon after get success. Thanks

18. marla posted on July 12, 2012 at 8:25 am (#

Such a fun design project Cheryl!

19. Brian @ A Thought For Food posted on July 12, 2012 at 12:22 pm (#

Super clever, Cheryl!

20. Kirstina Vanni posted on July 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm (#

Such simple elegance! I love this idea-thanks for sharing!

21. Melissa posted on July 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm (#

Super cute!!! I’m pretty sure I have one of these vases floating around:0)

22. Molly Jo posted on July 12, 2012 at 8:15 pm (#

I love this! What a great craft for so many different ideas. I’m going to Pin this for future gifting ideas. Thank you!

23. Karen posted on July 13, 2012 at 10:13 am (#

Oh, I love, love , love that. I have etched with the same product. It is really amazing…..never used painters tape. So smart. I think this is simple, and beautiful!!! I’ll be searching for a vase like that now at every thrift store!! lol New follower!

24. Jeanette posted on July 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm (#

What a neat idea Cheryl – I’d never know how to do this!

25. kiki comin posted on July 13, 2012 at 7:08 pm (#

I LOVE THIS! so fresh and modern..and clean. amazing.:)

26. MaryBeth posted on July 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm (#

That is UH-Mazing! I love it. They lines look so straight and neat also. :)

27. HeatherChristo posted on July 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm (#

this is a seriously cool project!

28. SweetSugarbelle posted on January 29, 2013 at 10:33 am (#

This is SOOOOOOOOO neato, Cheryl!

1. Pingback: Feature Friday: Chevron Etched Glass Vase | Crafts Unleashed