Earth Day is about celebrating the planet that we live on, it’s a time to focus on building a clean, healthy, diverse world for today and future generations.
Our planet does a lot for us, we should take it out for lunch.
So grab a blanket, a basket of food and head to your favorite park or outdoor spot and help the Nature Conservancy set a world record with the largest picnic celebration!
I made Earth Day cookies! Heather is a stylist at an Aveda salon, and they are celebrating Earth Month as well, so she asked if I could make some cookies for the salon.
To make these Earth Day Cookies you will need
- 4″ round cookie cutter (I also used a scalloped square cookie cutter)
- Vanilla Almond Butter Cookie Dough
- Royal Icing tinted with AmeriColor Sky Blue, Leaf Green, and Bright White
- disposable icing bags
- couplers and tips: #1.5 (for writing) #5 (for smiley face)
- squeeze bottles
To make the globe Cookies:
- using 4″ round cookies
- blue icing (using Callye’s 20-second rule for the consistency) in squeeze bottle
- green icing (consistency 20-second rule) in squeeze bottle
- white icing, piping consistency, in decorator bag with coupler and #1.5 tip
Flood entire cookie with blue icing, then use green to make continents (no need to be exact, you just want the effect)
If you want to write on the cookies, let them dry a few hours before writing “Earth Day”
To make Smiley Face Cookies
- blue and green icing (using Callye’s 20-second rule for the consistency) in squeeze bottle
- blue and green icing, piping consistency, in icing bags with coupler and #5 tip
Flood entire cookie in either blue or green. Let dry about an hour, then pipe opposite color for eyes and mouth.
To make square cookies
Follow same instructions as above, using square cookies.
On and around April 22, The Nature Conservancy will encourage people all around the world to celebrate the planet we live on by stepping outside and enjoying good food with great company.
In 2011, the inaugural Picnic for the Planet was a great success with thousands of people joining more than 600 picnics in 61 countries on all seven continents. We even held our own virtual picnic on many of our blogs.
2012: Bigger and Better!
For Earth Day 2012 (April 22), The Nature Conservancy will once again ask people to get outside and join the world’s largest picnic celebration. And this year we are going to make it official: we will attempt to set the world record for the most people picnicking in a 24-hour period. Web visitors can either browse the Conservancy-sponsored picnic events around the world, including in cities like Seattle, Boston and Melbourne, Australia, or sign up to host a picnic with family and friends. Anyone who holds a Picnic for the Planet with at least 25 people can download the materials to be officially included in the record-breaking attempt.
Please join me and a group of friends and fellow bloggers in celebrating Earth Day this year by having a picnic for the planet. What better way to celebrate the Earth Day than with a picnic?
To make you picnic planning easier, and help spread the word, we are each giving away a filled picnic basket! (total value approximately $75 USD)
- Coleman Collapsible canvas basket lined with gingham fabric
- Official Picnic for the Planet merchandise (water bottle, tee, blanket, temporary tattoo)
- Reusable bamboo utensil set by To-Go Ware
- Peeled Snacks organic dried fruit
- Green and Black chocolate bar
- Back to Nature crackers and cookies
- Burt’s Bees chapstick
Simply leave a comment on this post telling me what what changes you have made or plan to make to help care for our planet. That’s it! (if you are reading this post via email, please note that you must enter on the blog post, NOT by replying to the email)
- Let me know if you Like The Nature Conservancy and TidyMom on Facebook
- Follow TidyMom on Twitter and Tweet: Celebrate #EarthDay w/ a Picnic & #Win a Filled Picnic Basket Worth $75 from @nature_org & @TidyMom http://ow.ly/aiSJd #picnic12
- Follow TidyMom on Pinterest
For additional chances to win this picnic basket and for some fantastic picnic ideas for Earth Day, be sure to visit these other sites this week:
- All Day I Dream About Food
- A Spicy Perspective
- Cookin Canuck
- Created By Diane
- Dine & Dish
- Food for My Family
- Gourmande in the Kitchen
- I am Baker
- Jeanette’s Healthy Living
- The Little Kitchen
- Tidy Mom
Official Rules: No purchase necessary. Open to US residents only. Void where prohibited . Must be over 18. Giveaway will end on April 22 2012 at 11:59 pm CST. One winner with a valid entry will be selected at random using random.org. Winner will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to claim their prize or another winner will be selected. TidyMom, and The Nature Conservancy are not responsible for lost or undelivered emails.
Disclaimer:The Nature Conservancy provided the baskets for this giveaway.