DIY/Crafts

DIY Pet Food Canister & Pedigree Dog Food

Knock-off Ballard Dog Food Tin

Pet Food Canister

One of the best ways to store your pet’s food is not in the floppy bag, but rather in more sturdy plastic containers or large tin.

You know those popcorn tins you get at Christmas that seem like they will last forever……well, when forever is over you can wash them out, paint them and decorate with some vinyl and fill with your dog or cat food!

dog food tin makeover

I found a Christmas tin at a garage sale for 50¢, picked up a can of yellow spray paint, cut some fun vinyl with my Silhouette Craft cutter, hot glued cute ribbon around the lid and in no time I had a cute storage container for Cullen’s favorite Pedigree Dog Food, all for only a few dollars.

ballard dog foodA lot cheaper than the $50 Ballard Designs wants.

I LOVE the way my  designer pet food canister turned out!………and Ballard Designs doesn’t offer yellow! {wink}

pet food canister

Because I know I will get asked……

DOG – font; Cambria, size 300

food – font; Edwardian Script ITC, size 275

Paw Print – I purchased in the Silhouette Library store for 99¢, size 4 inches

Silhouette Craft cutter on Amazon

Improvements Made in Pedigree Dog Food

pedigree dog foodPedigree dog food has recently been improved to meet and exceed the four universal needs of dogs; Skin & Coat, Oral Care, Digestion and Immunity.

• It keeps their skin and coat healthy.
  • Promotes healthy oral care, by reducing tartar (clean chompers!)
  • Provides Healthy Digestion (super poop!)
  • Enhanced levels of antioxidants—like vitamins E and C—to help keep your dog strong

You better believe we plan to continue feeding our dogs Pedigree Dog food and treats for years to come!  If you have a special furball in your life, if you haven’t already, I would recommend you gradually make the switch to Pedigree dog food.

You Can Help

Every time you buy PEDIGREE® Food For Dogs, Pedigree will make a donation to The PEDIGREE Foundation.* So you’re not just doing something good for your own dog, you’re also helping deserving dogs in shelters around the country. Be sure to get your coupons and save a few dollars!

Pedigree is also on Facebook and Twitter!  Throughout the month of June, dog lovers can help dogs by logging onto Facebook and Twitter (#everydogdeserves) to say why they think “Every Dog Deserves” the very best.  For each Like, comment, @reply, re-tweet, photo upload, etc. directed at Pedigree, they’ll donate one pound of food (up to 100,000 pounds total). Every single engagement with Pedigree on Facebook and Twitter helps feed dogs!

Peanutbutter and Bacon Homemade Dog treatsMake your favorite furball Homemade Peanut Butter and Bacon Dog Treats

I wrote this review while participating in an Ambassador campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Pedigree and received dog food to facilitate my reviews and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.  All opinions and love of Pedigree are my own.

123 Responses to “DIY Pet Food Canister & Pedigree Dog Food”

1. bridget {bake at 350} posted on May 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm (#

I love that tin, Cheryl! I think I need a kitty version! (and you know I LOVE the yellow!)

2. Paula posted on May 25, 2011 at 1:18 pm (#

Love the tin and that food scoop is just to cute!

3. Paula posted on May 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm (#

Sorry, looks like a dropped an *O* in my earlier comment. I’m assuming that the dogs were in another room when you shot these pics LOL

4. Joyce posted on May 25, 2011 at 3:39 pm (#

Love this, thanks for the great idea!

5. Heidi posted on May 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm (#

I’m on the hunt for a tin as we speak, going to make a Kitty version for my new kitten Hank! Thanks for sharing :)

6. Jamie | My Baking Addiction posted on May 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm (#

Such a great idea! I need to pull my Silhouette out of the garage and make one of these for the pups!

7. Ihilani posted on May 25, 2011 at 4:53 pm (#

I kid you not I was JUST thinking about this. We’re babysitting my brother in law’s dog and her giant bags of dog food are so ugly. I thought to myself “how nice it would be if we had a stylish container to put her food in!” If I had my own dog I’d definitely do this.

8. sweetsugarbelle posted on May 25, 2011 at 7:00 pm (#

ADORE! I LOVE CRAFTS almost as much as I love cookies, and I love Ballard stuff at non Ballard prices even more!

9. Amanda posted on May 25, 2011 at 8:30 pm (#

GENIUS!!! Seriously gorgeous Cheryl!!

10. Robyn | Add a Pinch posted on May 25, 2011 at 9:01 pm (#

Oh I absolutely love this! Such a great idea!!!

11. Kristen posted on May 25, 2011 at 9:09 pm (#

OK that is the cutest thing ever (and so much cuter than the Christmas tin!)

12. jenna posted on May 26, 2011 at 10:06 am (#

i LOVE this idea!!! brilliant. i always wonder what people so with those tins!! ;)

13. Cookbook Queen posted on May 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm (#

Such a genius idea!! We always have those tins left over from Christmas and I LOVE them, but never know what to use them for.

14. jamie slay posted on May 26, 2011 at 9:51 pm (#

I always HATE to throw those cans away, but I can never think of a great idea like this one. I can’t wait til Christmas, cause you’re right-I always get one!

• Cheryl replied on August 8th, 2012 at 7:37 am

I was like you and wasn’t sure either what people did with those cans. A co-worker gave me the idea of using them as trashcans during the Christmas season.. Just a little idea I thought I would share!!

15. Mary Beth @ Nothing But Country posted on May 26, 2011 at 9:58 pm (#

This is awesome!!!!!! Now I gotta wait for Christmas to get me a tin can– I am definitely going to save it to make this for my dogs food. :) Or maybe get lucky to find some tins too. :) LOVE IT.

16. Carol@easytobeglutenfree posted on May 27, 2011 at 9:26 am (#

I LOVE THIS! I actually got a plastic dog food storage bin at a yard sale dirt cheap but this is even better! Thanks for the inspiration!

17. Jennifer posted on May 27, 2011 at 9:49 am (#

Too stinken cute! Now I know what to do with all those xmas tins. Thanks for the idea:)

18. HandkerchiefGal posted on May 27, 2011 at 4:15 pm (#

Thanks so much for this! It is soooo cute!

19. Jennifer McAliley posted on May 27, 2011 at 9:22 pm (#

This is so cute! Way better than the Ballard version! I love that color yellow! I’m going to feature this on my blog next week for my Friday features. If you want you can grab a button. Thanks for hosting another party!
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

20. Vanessa posted on May 28, 2011 at 7:18 pm (#

What an awesome idea for repurposing. We usually have one of those huge popcorn tins left after Christmas. I never know what to do with them so I toss them out. Now I wish I had one.

21. Amy {The Idea Room} posted on May 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm (#

I love how bright and cheerful yours turned out! Love the price tag too! I think I will do this for our cat food. So much cuter than the bag and will stop or cat from ripping into it too.

22. RecycleCindy posted on May 30, 2011 at 1:13 pm (#

Cute idea and I love the repurposing theme of your project. I’m also thinking you could use those plastic 5 gallon buckets too for the pet food. Thanks for the great idea and I’m going to have to try this project out soon.

23. LV posted on May 31, 2011 at 8:06 am (#

super great fantabulous idea!!!

24. amy peca posted on June 7, 2011 at 9:06 pm (#

I recently did this to a tin can for bird seed. Did you clear seal it with anything?…I’m noticing mine is starting to chip?

25. Lauren @ Crafty in the Concrete Jungle posted on June 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm (#

This is such a great idea! I’m definitely going to have to make one of those for my mom’s yellow lab… she’ll love it!

26. Martha posted on June 10, 2011 at 11:10 pm (#

Fabulous idea!! Love it!

27. jackie posted on July 21, 2011 at 9:10 am (#

I love this idea! currently my bags are in an ugly plastic bin.

28. Leanne posted on November 13, 2011 at 11:51 pm (#

You know, I’m feeling like a bit of a dummy… I’ve been scouring thrift stores for the perfect bin to do what you did… until I read this post just now, I had forgotten I have a cupboard full of these popcorn tins, that I had forgotten about because I didn’t know what to do with them! Well, now I know! I even have a can of yellow spray paint (perfect for my kitchen) waiting for this project that I now can’t wait to do! Thanks!!
    Leanne @ Because (I think) I Can

29. Ruthie posted on November 26, 2011 at 12:00 am (#

Found you via Pinterest–very cute idea!! Just wondering, how much dog food can you fit in your can?

• TidyMom replied on January 8th, 2012 at 9:28 am

I’m not really sure, you’d have to check the size of your tin…..we just buy the really large bag of dog food and fill it up

30. Anna Cooper posted on December 3, 2011 at 6:13 am (#

found you on Pinterest and love this idea. I don’t have a dog or cat, but was just given a bunch of these tins. I think I’ll use chalkboard paint and use one to store puppy chow in. And make a few for my brothers who have dogs.

Thanks for the ideas.

• TidyMom replied on January 8th, 2012 at 9:27 am

oh I love that idea too!!

31. Chelsea posted on December 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm (#

I absolutely love this idea! I started on mine already but was wondering where you got the lettering. I cannot find it anywhere. Also, I was wondering what size ribbon you used. Thanks for your help :o)

• TidyMom replied on January 8th, 2012 at 9:27 am

cut some fun vinyl with my Silhouette SD.

I just measured my lid and use a ribbon that was a little narrower

32. michelle posted on December 5, 2011 at 9:34 pm (#

Love this idea but I don’t have sillohette :(

• TidyMom replied on January 8th, 2012 at 9:26 am

check etsy for shops that sell custom vinyl

33. Jenny posted on December 30, 2011 at 8:13 pm (#

Not only is it cheaper than Ballard’s it is prettier too! You did a great job! I would love if you linked it up to my party going on!

34. Lori posted on December 30, 2011 at 9:17 pm (#

I love this idea! So much nicer than seeing your bag of dog food sitting on the floor!

35. amy peca posted on January 3, 2012 at 7:33 pm (#

I made something like this last year for bird seed outside…The tin is covered from the elements (under a patio) but still does getblowing snow and rain on it. It has held up well. I painted mine black and then google imaged a bird silhouette. I traced and painted the bird on the lid and wrote bird seed on the side with a white paint marker. This gives the kids and I something to pass the time while we are waiting for the school bus in the am.

• TidyMom replied on January 8th, 2012 at 9:25 am

cute idea!

36. Nicole Reese posted on January 7, 2012 at 6:24 pm (#

How did you place lettering on the tin?

• TidyMom replied on January 8th, 2012 at 9:25 am

cut some fun vinyl with my Silhouette SD

37. Kim posted on February 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm (#

I saw the tins on a website, but wasn’t about to spend all that money. Then I was hunting around & saw your version & thought that’s a great idea for a fraction of the price. Thanks for the pics of it too, really helpful. Just got my 2 tins thru eBay yesterday for $5.00 each. Picked up all of the stuff to get the job done, just waiting for a nice warmer day to do it. By the way, where did you get the dog food scoop? I’d like to get this as well. Thanks.

• Kim replied on February 12th, 2012 at 5:35 pm

O.k, thanks so much for letting me know. I’ll have to look around for one like it then, since I don’t use that food. I’m so excited, can’t wait to see the way they turn out, woohoo!!

38. Kristin posted on February 15, 2012 at 10:31 pm (#

How tall was the popcorn tin you used? I’m just trying to figure out what size I need to get the capacity I want. Ebay sellers only seem to list heights. haha

• TidyMom replied on February 16th, 2012 at 7:06 am

My tin is almost 12″ but you can use any size

39. Jessica posted on April 3, 2012 at 3:52 pm (#

This is absolutely darling! Did you have to prime it first? How is it holding up with the spray paint? Thanks so much for sharing such a fun and cost effective storage idea!

• TidyMom replied on April 10th, 2012 at 9:26 am

nope , no primer used

40. Taryn posted on April 7, 2012 at 8:11 am (#

Alas, another project I pinned for when I get that Sillhouette. If those kids would quit growing and need new clothes and shoes I could complete it. :) For now, I shared the idea

41. Peggy posted on April 10, 2012 at 9:15 am (#

I love this idea! I think I have 3 tins in my garage! However, I have the same question as Jessica, #47. Did you use a primer first?

42. Lindsey posted on May 15, 2012 at 4:44 pm (#

I just love this idea and I tried this on a smaller scale but where the top of the canister slide into place over the bottom, the paint chipped. Did you have any trouble with this? Do you have any suggestions on paint to use or how you avoided this?
    Thanks!

43. Beth posted on June 1, 2012 at 8:57 am (#

I love this idea! I sell uppercase living, which is vinyl & I am going to try this out! Design ur own with bethohrum.uppercaseliving.net. I hate seeing my dog food bags & this gave me some great inspiration!

44. Christina posted on July 6, 2012 at 10:38 pm (#

OMG, I am so doing this! Thanks for sharing!

45. Suzanne posted on July 9, 2012 at 3:19 am (#

I’ve used an old popcorn tin for years as a wastebasket by my computer desk. It has a halloween design on it but think I’ll paint it to go with the room colors now after seeing how nice this looks. thanks for the idea! I’m always amazed at how many creative people there are in the world, and how nice it is to be able to share now with Pinterest.

46. April posted on July 17, 2012 at 1:22 pm (#

I wish you would make these to sale! I don’t have the items to make one :(

47. Kayleigh posted on August 2, 2012 at 12:19 pm (#

I soo want one of these!! I love the large cans!!

48. Stephanie posted on November 17, 2012 at 7:04 pm (#

If you want the fonts to watch the store bought inspiration even more the word food is the font P22 Cezanne Regular

49. Ashlee posted on November 20, 2012 at 11:25 am (#

I just made a pink one for my dog. The only problem I found was that with the extra paint on it, it is a pain to open and shut. Did you have this problem?

50. Kayla posted on December 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm (#

This is so cute! I am definitely making one for my cat’s food if I come across a tin this Christmas. Much better than an unsightly bag that often gets ripped open by the cats.

But I just have to say… Pedigree is a pretty terrible brand of dog food. You should really look at the ingredients before feeding it to your dogs… Its main ingredients are corn gluten meal and meat by-products (chicken beaks, feet, feathers, etc). So bad for them :( I recommend you switch to raw food… you will never want to go back.

• TidyMom replied on December 11th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Thanks so much…………and for the dog food – we have 4 dogs (and in our 26 years of marriage have always had several dogs) and have fed our dogs Pedigree for many many years and have always had very healthy happy dogs that have lived long lives.

1. Pingback: Fun Pet Finds, Edition 2 |

2. Pingback: Handmade Gift Ideas: For Pets | Talk Crafty To Me

3. Pingback: Whimsydog | D.I.Y Dog Food Tin

4. Pingback: Dog Food Container « Following Friends

5. Pingback: Fun Pet Finds, Edition 2 | Pet Sitting Services PA - Pennsylvania Pet Sitting - Pet Sitter PA

6. Pingback: Indie Craft Parade

7. Pingback: 25 DIY Gifts for Pet Lovers

8. Pingback: Popcorn Tins | ChristaToTheMax

9. Pingback: 25 Craft Projects for $1 or less from The ReStore - 2 Little Supeheroes

10. Pingback: Silhouette in your kitchen! | Real Cheap Housewives of Texas

11. Pingback: Crafting a Green World | Recycle a Popcorn Tin into a Trash Can! | Page: 1 | Crafting a Green World

12. Pingback: 25 Pet Solutions You Never Knew You Needed « My Home Life | Decor, Design and DIY

13. Pingback: Holiday Gift Giving Guide—DIY Edition | CladeHealth Tracker Blog

14. Pingback: PinLaVie... Make your pins come true – DIY Pet Food Canister

15. Pingback: Week 5: Friday Favorites | The Cookin' Chemist

16. Pingback: 24 Pet Gift  | Random Tuesdays

17. Pingback: DIY Roundup: DIY Small Storage Solutions | The Writing on the Wall

18. Pingback: Kids Craft: DIY Holiday Gifts for Pets | Two Kids Cooking and More

19. Pingback: 5 Irresistible Pet Food Storage Ideas

20. Pingback: Upcycled Dog Food Tin — Totally Green Crafts

21. Pingback: 12 Easy DIY Pet Essentials | TidyMom

22. Pingback: 9 vinyl craft ideas + Silhouette Portrait giveaway! I Heart Nap Time | I Heart Nap Time - How to Crafts, Tutorials, DIY, Homemaker

23. Pingback: Dog Treat Tin {DIY} - Todays Creative Blog

24. Pingback: DIY Cute Dog Food Storage Bins - Pooch and Claws | Dog Lovers Cat Lovers

25. Pingback: 10 Creative DIY dog bowl ideas for your pet

26. Pingback: AnimalShak » Popcorn Tin into Dog Food Container

27. Pingback: Keeping the Dog of the House Stylish and Organized

28. Pingback: Chalkboard Paint Pet Food Canister from Repurposed Popcorn Tin |

29. Pingback: Ideas para Roy: diy y patrones para perros | mifuku

30. Pingback: DIY Dog Treat Canisters - livelaughrowe.com

31. Pingback: 16 DIY Gift Ideas For Your Pets

32. Pingback: 15 Homemade Gift Ideas For Pets

33. Pingback: My CMS | DIY Dog food container

34. Pingback: Holiday Gift Guide for Pets - ediTORIal by Tori Spelling

35. Pingback: cool dog food containerLovely Photos | Lovely Photos

36. Pingback: Crafting a Green World | The home for green crafts and tutorials!

37. Pingback: DIY Pet Projects: 35 DIY Projects Your Pets Will Love | hometips.co.za

38. Pingback: 15 Fantastic DIY Pet Projects for Your Felines and Fidos

39. Pingback: Container Gardening Ideas Upcycle Pinterest Christmas Cookies

40. Pingback: 11 Practical DIY Pet Food Containers - GleamItUp

41. Pingback: Container Gardening Ideas Upcycle Pinterest Crafts Diy

42. Pingback: Puppy Tales A spring cleaning checklist for your dog | Dog organisation tips

43. Pingback: Pet food canister will keep food way fresher than the bag. | Useful Tricks To learn in 10 minutes

44. Pingback: Handmade Pet Gifts | The Neat Nook