DIY/Crafts

Fabric Covered Switch-plate Tutorial

You may remember last week I showed you how I made some easy fabric covered wall artfor my bathroom.

After I hung them, I decided to make a fabric covered switch-plate match!

How to make a Fabric Covered Switch Plate cover tutorial at TidyMom.net

How to make a fabric covered switch plate

It’s super easy, but I took a few pictures along the way to show you!

Fabric Covered Switch plate

Supplies:

How to make a Fabric Covered Switch Plate cover tutorial at TidyMom.net

1. Start with your average outdated switch plate cover.
2. Cut fabric just a little bigger than your switch plate.
3. Cover the switch plate with Mod Podge.
4. Lay your piece of fabric on top of the Mod Podge, and press down all surfaces. Be sure to smooth out any creases or bubbles.

How to make a Fabric Covered Switch Plate cover tutorial at TidyMom.net

5. After the fabric and Mod Podge sit and dry a bit, trim the excess fabric around the edge of the switchplate.
6. Use an X-acto knife to cut out the slots where your switch thingies will go(I left one side attached- see next step)! – you can also use the X-acto knife to punch a whole where the screw holes are.

7. Flip switchplate over and use a little Mod Podge to glue down the pieces you cut for the opening.

8. Turn the switchplate back over and cover with 2 coats of Mod Podge.

Hang your beautiful new switchplate!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’m Grilling Pizza’s today over at Living Locurto!! come check it out
~ I’m linking this up to the following parties ~

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

Photobucket

71 Responses to “Fabric Covered Switch-plate Tutorial”

1. Bre posted on February 11, 2012 at 5:10 pm (#

Do you think this would work with a burlap? Or would it.be too rough/texturized?

Thanks!

Bre

2. Shannon posted on May 9, 2012 at 8:31 am (#

Found you on Pinterest! I did this yesterday for two plates and today I am doing it for 4 rooms! I love it!

3. Kelly posted on August 14, 2012 at 9:05 pm (#

What a gerat job! Saw these on Pinterest and just had to say ‘hello!’ I am going to give these a try!

4. carolyn posted on August 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm (#

Love this idea…was wondering where you got the turquois and brown material…it would look great in my living room. Thanks!!

5. PEG'S posted on September 1, 2012 at 7:23 pm (#

what a great idea…hats off to you for being so thrifty !!!!!!!!

6. Aaliyah posted on September 14, 2012 at 11:16 pm (#

If I ever wanted to remove the fabric, how would I go about it…would it require purchasing a new cover?

7. Chrissy Sparks (Brush Dance) posted on September 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm (#

I’ve wanted to do something with our switch plates… this is SUCH a great idea!

8. Julie posted on August 8, 2013 at 12:58 pm (#

What a great idea!! Love this – I’m going to do this for my daughters’ rooms!

9. shirley pennington posted on October 5, 2013 at 11:33 am (#

10. shirley pennington posted on October 5, 2013 at 11:36 am (#

Tidymom, thank you so much for shareing this with us. The plates is just awesome! I’m retired and I’m looking for some thing to do and maybe sale. What do you think! PS, Do you cover the back also?

11. Corinne Sechrist posted on August 16, 2014 at 4:05 pm (#

I have been doing this with my switchplates in my kitchen using craft book paper. I have been using rubber cement to glue the paper on and then spraying with lacquer so they are washable and can be cleaned. However I am having trouble getting thank you paper to stick to the sides of the switchplate. Do you have any suggestions on how to get the paper to stick to the sides?