Black Raspberry & Lemon Crush Ice Cream Cupcakes
Black Raspberry Lemon Crush Ice Cream Cupcakes are the ideal summer treat! Use your favorite flavors to layer cake and ice cream in a cup for ice cream cupcakes!
Cupcakes gone wild! That’s what I’m calling it when you layer your favorite cupcake with your favorite ice cream and top it with a mouthwatering marshmallow cream frosting all in a perfect little cup!
I’m not one to shy away from a challenge, especially one that involved cupcakes!! My friend Stef over at Cupcake Project, along with Scoopalicious is holding the 5th annual Ice Cream Cupcake Challenge.
I quickly started coming up with ideas, but just couldn’t narrow down the flavor combination, so I took it to facebook. I asked for help choosing a flavor for the ice cream cupcake contest and the overwhelming response was Lemon & Raspberry – perfect summertime flavors!
So, I made Black Raspberry & Lemon Crush Ice Cream Cupcakes for Father’s Day and they were a huge hit, even got a big thumbs up from my husband who will usually only eat a white or yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
They’re pretty simple to make, you just need to plan ahead, because, of course since there is ice cream involved, there will be freezing involved. So make these cupcakes a day ahead if you can!
What’s really fun is, you can use this technique with any flavor cupcakes and ice cream you desire – the frosting will work with any flavor and freezes wonderfully!
Let’s get started………….
What you will need to make ice cream cupcakes:
(click links to see where to buy) This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
30 cupcakes wrappers to bake cupcakes (these will be removed and discarded, so no need to be fancy)
30 2″ nut cups for ice cream cupcake (use white or pretty decorated ones here, but they must be the nut cups)
favorite cupcake batter (lemon crush cupcake recipe below)
marshmallow ice cream frosting (recipe below)
fruit and sprinkles to garnish
How to Make Ice Cream Cup Cakes
Fill cupcake wrappers or cups 1/2 full and bake cupcakes 15-20 minutes. Cool completely.
Then remove cupcakes from the wrapper.
Cut cupcakes in half and place bottom half of cupcakes into a nut cup (you can NOT use cupcake wrappers on this part, I tried a few just to see if it would work, and it doesn’t, you need the stability of the nut cups)
Remove ice cream from freezer to soften, about 20 minutes (you can do this while cutting cupcakes in half)
Working quickly, spread ice cream over cupcakes, then place top half of cupcake over ice cream
Place ice cream cupcakes in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
Remove cupcakes from the freezer and quickly frost and garnish (you may want to remove only a few at a time while working).
Store in the freezer until ready to serve (freeze at least 4 hours before serving) *I just left them on the pan, we at them pretty quickly, but if you are making a day or two ahead of time, you will want to store in a plastic container in the freezer)
Serve ice cream cupcakes frozen, and have the lucky recipients remove from nut cup wrapper (or you can eat right out of the cup – I just think it’s pretty to look at out of the cup)
See what I mean?
I made some with Strawberry Ice Cream too – they were delicious too, but I liked the Black Raspberry better *wink*
So there you have it! My entry for the Ice Cream Cupcake Challenge!……..go check out the other entries, and the previous years’ entries too! – there’s a WHOLE lot of cake and ice cream going on over there……… and for all my pregnant buddies, you may want to check out Stef’s Pickle’s and Ice Cream Cupcake! It was even featured in People Magazine!
What’s your favorite cake and ice cream combination?
Black Raspberry & Lemon Crush Ice Cream Cupcakes
- 1 box French Vanilla Cake Mix (I use Duncan Hines)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup water
- rind from 1 large lemon, grated
- juice from 1 large lemon
- Black Raspberry Ice Cream, slightly softened (just as yummy with Strawberry too)
- 3 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1-1/2 cups Marshmallow Cream
- raspberries, lemon slices and sprinkles to garnish
- 30 cupcake wrappers
- 30 nut cups
- Preheat Oven to 350° and line cupcake pans with cupcake papers.
- Melt butter in the microwave.
- Using large blow, add cake mix, eggs butter, water, lemon rind and lemon juice; using an electric mixer, mix on low for 1 minute, then on high for one minute.
- Fill cupcake papers 1/2 full (a little smaller than you normally fill for cupcakes)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely
- Using an electric mixer and large bowl, whisk whipping cream and marshmallow cream on low and gradually move up to high as it thickens - mix until stiff peaks form.
- Remove cupcakes from wrappers and slice in half.
- Place bottom half of cupcake in new nut cup.
- Working quickly, spread ice cream over cupcakes, then place cupcake tops over ice cream
- Place ice cream cupcakes on a pan and freeze for about 2 hours.
- Working quickly and with a few cupcakes at a time, pipe frosting on cupcakes and garnish, place back in the freezer.
- Freeze a minimum of four hours before serving.
- Store in freezer in a plastic container. Will keep for 1 week.
- Serve frozen and enjoy!
Making this recipe? Share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #TidyMom so we can see what you're creating in the kitchen!
Want more great recipes like this? Follow my TidyMom Easy Recipes Pinterest Board
Like this Ice Cream Cupcake Recipe? Pin It!