Baking Soda: The multi-purpose cleaner for your home
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You might know that ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda is a staple in our house and I always have a box or bag on hand. Besides using it in recipes, to keep odors out of my refrigerator, and as an air freshener around the house, baking soda is a multi-purpose cleaner and can be used in a variety of ways around your home.
Table of Contents
Favorite Ways to Use Baking Soda to Clean My Home
Unclog and freshen drains
- read how I clean my drains and keep them fresh with baking soda and vinegar.
Tip: When it’s time to replace the box of baking soda in your refrigerator, dump it down your drain to freshen your drain instead of throwing it in the trash.
How to Clean burned on food off a pot:
- cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of baking soda, and then add warm water to create a very wet paste and let it sit for a few hours or even over night, if it’s bad (like I did when my daughter burnt the stir fry)
- wipe out the pot with a damp sponge. Many times the burned on food will wipe right out.
- If food it still burnt on, add more baking soda and water and boil the mixture in the pot for a few minutes
- let cool, then wipe clean
Tip: Use this method to clean a crock pot as well; Soak in warm water and baking soda before scrubbing.
Remove Coffee/Tea Mug Stains:
- Wet mug with water then using a wet cloth rub the inside of the mug with baking soda. For stubborn stains, soak overnight in hot water and baking soda, wipe clean with damp cloth or sponge.
Clean Stainless Steal Sink:
- First clean sink with hot soapy water to remove debris.
- Sprinkle baking soda over entire surface of sink, then scrub gently with wet sponge
- rinse away baking soda and dry with clean soft cloth or paper towel
- Make shine by rubbing in baby oil, or olive oil, or spray with window cleaner and buff dry with a soft cloth
Tip: use same method to clean bathroom sink
- Sprinkle baking soda on sponge and wipe down shower walls and tub, rinse with water.
Tip: Add a few drops of essential oils to the baking soda and store in a jar, this will help make the bathroom smell wonderful when you clean the shower.
How to Clean a Dishwasher
- read step by step on how to clean a dishwasher with baking soda and vinegar
How to Remove Crayon from Walls:
- Make a paste with baking soda and water
- Gently scrub the crayon marks with the paste
Tip: you could also just sprinkle a damp sponge with baking soda and scrub.
Clean the BBQ Grill:
I love that ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda is safe, natural and effective. There is no other one product that does as much around your home!
You may also enjoy my Count Down to Clean Series and free printable.
WIN $1,000 (12 winners)
The maker of ARM & HAMMER® products challenged me to switch to ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda and this summer, they are giving away $12,000 in the ARM & HAMMER Switch & Save Challenge Sweepstakes. To be entered to win one (1) of twelve (12) $1,000 prizes, simply reply to the question below!
Remember to join other ARM & HAMMER Switch & Save conversations for even more chances to win!
Hi there, I'm Cheryl!
As a wife, mom, and caffeine enthusiast, my journey has taken me from bustling mornings with my family to sharing delicious recipes, home care tips, and heartfelt decorating insights with wonderful readers like you. My love for baking, photography, and tidiness shines through every post I craft. Dive into my world and discover the art of homemaking, one tidy moment at a time. Read more...
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.