How to Make the Best Rice Krispie Treats
Did you know there is a little secret on how to make the best rice krispie treats at home!! They are sweet, sticky, buttery, and perfect.
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
If you’ve ever made Rice Krispie Treats, you know how easy they are. Let’s face it, Rice Krispie Treats are simply marshmallows, butter, and Rice Krispies cereal. But if you’ve ever EATEN a homemade Rice Krispies Treat you’ve probably had some that melt in your mouth, sticky gooey good….and you’ve probably had some that were dry, hard (or fall apart soft), or just plain bland.
Today I’m going to share the secret and a few tips for getting the BEST Rice Krispie Treats every time —-they are soft and gooey with just a hint of butter.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
If you want to win the bake sale, and really blow their mind, mix in your favorite M&M’s.
What you need to make the Best Rice Krispie Treats
For specific amounts, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
I RECOMMEND FOR THIS RECIPE
- Rice Krispies cereal
- miniature marshmallows
- Mix-ins (optional) like Peanut Butter M&Ms (my favorite)
- 9×13 pan
- aluminum foil
- cooking spray
- large mixing bowl
- rubber spatula
- serrated knife (for serving)
- air-tight container (for storing)
The Secret To Making The Best Rice Krispie Treats
When you are making these treats, you’ll want to use the full recipe at the bottom of the page.
Besides the perfect ratio of marshmallows to cereal, the real secret lies in melting the butter and marshmallows together in the microwave! Don’t ask me why the results are so much better than when you melt them on the stovetop
1. Melt butter and 3/4 of your marshmallows in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring with a spatula in between. (full recipe below)
2. Once the mixture is melted and smooth, add a little salt and remaining marshmallows and stir to incorporate. Marshmallows will begin to melt but will remain a little lumpy — leaving little bits of marshmallow for the most awesome treats.
3. Add Rice Krispies to the marshmallow mixture and gently fold until the cereal is evenly coated. Then fold in M&Ms
4. Spread and press the mixture into a foil-lined and greased pan.
TIP #1: grease a rubber spatula (or hands) to pat down rice krispie treats in pan, then use another 13×9 pan to press everything down.
TIP #2: Don’t press too firm – the more you press them down, the more solid they’ll will be, and making the rice krispie treats hard.
5. Let them cool 1-2 hours before serving.
6. Once the Rice Krispy Treats are completely cool, remove them from the pan to cut them into squares. For best results, spray a long serrated knife with cooking spray to keep the knife from sticking while you cut.
And there you have it! The Secrets to the BEST Rice Krispie Treats!
The best Rise Krispie Treats are best served the same day, but they will keep for about 5 days if you store them in an air-tight container or wrap in cellophane bags and add them to a boo basket for your neighbors for a Halloween surprise!
Like These Tips For The Best Rice Krispie Treats? Pin It!
Best Rice Krispie Treats
The BEST Rice Krispie Treats every time ----they are soft and gooey with just a hint of butter.
- 2 (10 ounce ) bags mini marshmallows (divided)
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 10 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces M&M's (I prefer Peanut Butter M&Ms)
- Line a 13x9 baking pan with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
- Measure 1 ½ cups of marshmallow and set aside.
- Place remaining marshmallows in a large glass mixing bowl. Cut butter into 1 tablespoon pats, and place in bowl with marshmallows.
- Melt the butter and marshmallows in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring with spatula in between.
- Once mixture is melted and smooth, add salt and remaining marshmallows and stir to incorporate. Marshmallows will begin to melt but will remain a little lumpy -- leaving little bits of marshmallow for the most awesome treats.
- Add Rice Krispies to the marshmallow mixture and gently fold until cereal is evenly coated.
- Fold M&Ms into Rice Krispie mixture.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan and press in evenly. -- I spray a rubber spatula (or hands) with cooking spray and use it to get them pretty level then use another 13x9 pan to press everything down nice and firm (but not too firm - the more you press them down, the more solid they’ll will be, and you don't want them too hard) Cool 1-2 hours before serving.
- Once the Rice Krispy Treats are completely cool, remove them from the pan (by lifting the foil) and cut them into squares. For best results, spray a long serrated knife with cooking spray to keep the knife from sticking while you cut. Best served the same day, but they will keep for about 5 days if you store them in an air-tight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin, and freshness of ingredients used and are just estimates. We encourage, especially if these numbers are important to you, to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.
Tidymom is a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Please respect my work, recipes and photographs. If you do use a recipe in your own writing, please give proper credit and link back to the original post.
Both of my kids love Rice Krispie treats. I will give this a try – I have never added salt, but could see how that would work!
The secret to my rice krispy treats is to use 1 stick of parkay. Other margerine have more water and will make your Krispy treats soggy they taste stale. I’m not saying your recipe is not all you say it is. I just wanted to share this tip it does make a big difference. Happy Baking from Pam at SelphMade.
awesome! thanks for the tip!!
Great candies for upcoming Halloween. My kids will be happy 🙂
Gosh I needed this! My treats either turn out too sticky or too dry!
Great recipe for rice krispy squares but the m&ms just made it too sweet. This will be my go to recipe but without the candy. What can I say? I’m a dessert purist that dislikes all the candy additions.
It’s been awhile since I made Rice Krispie treats. I know they get stale easily, will they be hard if I make them the day before serving?
if stored in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to a week if you use salted butter.