How to Make the Best Rice Krispie Treats
sharing the secret!
Did you know there is a little secret on how to make the best rice krispie treats at home!! They are sweet, sticky, buttery and perfect.
Be sure to sign up for my email… to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
If you’ve ever made Rice Krispie Treats, you know how easy they are. Let’s face it, Rice Krispie Treats are simply marshmallows, butter, and Rice Krispies cereal. But if you’ve ever EATEN a homemade Rice Krispies Treat you’ve probably had some that are melt in your mouth, sticky gooey good….and you’ve probably had some that were dry, hard (or fall apart soft) or just plain bland.
Today I’m going to share the secret and a few tips to getting the BEST Rice Krispie Treats every time —-they are soft and gooey with just a hint of butter.
If you want to win the bake sale, and really blow their mind, mix in your favorite M&M’s.
What you need to make the Best Rice Krispie Treats
- Rice Krispies cereal
- miniature marshmallows
- Mix-ins (optional) like Peanut Butter M&Ms (my favorite)
- 9×13 pan
- aluminum foil
- cooking spray
- large mixing bowl
- rubber spatula
- serrated knife (for serving)
- air-tight container (for storing)
I RECOMMEND FOR THIS RECIPE
The Secret To Making The Best Rice Krispie Treats
Besides the perfect ratio of marshmallows to cereal, the real secret lies in melting the butter and marshmallows together in the microwave! Don’t ask me why the results are so much better than when you melt them on the stove top
Melt butter and 3/4 of your marshmallows in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring with a spatula in between. (full recipe below)
Once the mixture is melted and smooth, add a little salt and remaining marshmallows and stir to incorporate. Marshmallows will begin to melt but will remain a little lumpy — leaving little bits of marshmallow for the most awesome treats.
Add Rice Krispies to the marshmallow mixture and gently fold until cereal is evenly coated. Then fold in M&Ms
Spread and press mixture into foil lined and greased pan.
TIP #1: grease rubber spatula (or hands) to pat down rice krispie treats in pan, then use another 13×9 pan to press everything down.
TIP #2: Don’t press too firm – the more you press them down, the more solid they’ll will be, and making the rice krispie treats hard.
Let them cool 1-2 hours before serving.
Once the Rice Krispy Treats are completely cool, remove them from the pan to cut them into squares. For best results, spray a long serrated knife with cooking spray to keep the knife from sticking while you cut.
And there you have it! The Secrets to the BEST Rice Krispie Treats!
The best Rise Krispie Treats are best served the same day, but they will keep for about 5 days if you store them in an air-tight container or wrap in cellophane bags and add them to a boo basket for your neighbors for a Halloween surprise!
Like These Tips For The Best Rice Krispie Treats? Pin It!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, home tips, creative ideas and ask questions and see what’s new with TidyMom! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #tidymom so I can see all the wonderful TidyMom recipes YOU make and tips YOU use!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
- 2 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows (divided)
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 10 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces M&M's (I prefer Peanut Butter M&Ms)
- Line a 13x9 baking pan with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
- Measure 1 ½ cups of marshmallow and set aside.
- Place remaining marshmallows in a large glass mixing bowl. Cut butter into 1 tablespoon pats, and place in bowl with marshmallows.
- Melt the butter and marshmallows in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring with spatula in between.
- Once mixture is melted and smooth, add salt and remaining marshmallows and stir to incorporate. Marshmallows will begin to melt but will remain a little lumpy -- leaving little bits of marshmallow for the most awesome treats.
- Add Rice Krispies to the marshmallow mixture and gently fold until cereal is evenly coated.
- Fold M&Ms into Rice Krispie mixture.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan and press in evenly. -- I spray a rubber spatula (or hands) with cooking spray and use it to get them pretty level then use another 13x9 pan to press everything down nice and firm (but not too firm - the more you press them down, the more solid they’ll will be, and you don't want them too hard) Cool 1-2 hours before serving.
- Once the Rice Krispy Treats are completely cool, remove them from the pan (by lifting the foil) and cut them into squares. For best results, spray a long serrated knife with cooking spray to keep the knife from sticking while you cut. Best served the same day, but they will keep for about 5 days if you store them in an air-tight container.