Gooey Upside Down German Chocolate Cake!
Hold on to your seats, I’m about to blow your mind with this Gooey Upside Down German Chocolate Cake. This dessert is gooey, oh so moist, and super simple to throw together.
click to see more of my recipe videos
We’ve been making this twist on the traditional German Chocolate Cake for 20+ years. It’s a combination of a Gooey Butter cake and German chocolate cake….but upside down! The coconut pecan frosting is on the bottom, with gooey butter filling spooned over the top of the cake before it goes in the oven. As the cake bakes, it creates a filling. leaving a moist, gooey, and delicious dessert.
This cake isn’t pretty, but where it lacks in good looks, it more than makes it up in the yummy department! Trust me, no one will cake what it looks like 😉
Gooey Upside Down German Chocolate Cake uses a box cake mix, so it couldn’t be easier to make! But you can certainly use your favorite German Chocolate Cake recipe, if you prefer. Either way it’s absolutely delicious.
All you do is sprinkle coconut and pecans on the bottom of a greased pan and pour the cake mix over top. Then beat cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar to spoon over top and put it in the oven and wait for the magic to happen!
My mom and sister-in-law request this cake for their birthday every year! It’s a great cake to take to potlucks, but be prepared to give out the recipe…..everyone will ask for it!
If you know someone who likes German Chocolate Cake (and even those who don’t), make them a Gooey Upside Down German Chocolate Cake and watch their eyes roll back as they scarf down a piece….or two! You may never make a traditional German Chocolate Cake again. You do know, everything tastes better upside down don’t you?
Like this Gooey Upside Down German Chocolate Cake recipe? PIN IT!
Gooey Upside Down German Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 box German Chocolate Cake mix, *prepared
- eggs, water, and oil as directed on cake mix package
- 4 cups (or 1 pound box) powdered sugar
- 1 (8ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 9×13 cake pan.
- Sprinkle coconut and pecans over bottom of the cake pan.
- Prepare cake mix per package instructions on box (or you can use your favorite German Chocolate Cake recipe)
- Pour cake batter over coconut and pecans.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in medium bowl until well blended, slowly add powdered sugar and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture over cake batter - do NOT mix in.
- Bake on middle rack in oven for 50-55 minutes.
- Cool completely in the pan before serving To serve, cut into serving-size pieces and, using a spatula, remove from the pan and turn upside-down on plates and enjoy!
- feel free to double up the coconut and pecans for even more deliciousness!
- there is no need to invert the whole cake before serving. Leave the cake in the pan; cut into individual pieces and serve with coconut and pecans on bottom, or invert each piece as you plate it.
- store left over cake on the counter or in refrigerator.
Making this recipe? Share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #TidyMom so we can see what you're creating in the kitchen!
Want more great recipes like this? Follow my TidyMom Easy Recipes Pinterest Board