Family

New York City with my daughters: I’m Lovin’ It

I’m currently in New York City at the big BlogHer 2012 conference, thanks to Rug Doctor!

But, just 2 weeks ago I was invited to the Big Apple for the House Beautiful Kitchen of the Year Event with Whirlpool.  This year Whirlpool’s White Ice Collection was featured throughout the kitchen, and it was simply stunning!!  I’ll be filling you in a little more on that in the coming weeks!! I was able to bring my daughters along with me, who have never been to New York City.  We made it a girls weekend and they had a blast!

We did lots of NYC touristy things.

NYC July 2012

We walked 5th Avenue, took the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, visited Ground Zero (couldn’t believe the overwhelming emotions we felt when we were there), had cupcakes at Sprinkles Cupcakes, walked thru Central Park, dinner at Max Brenner Chocolate by the Bald Man with Amber, lunch at Chelsea Market, saw the sunset at the Top of the Rock and the girls saw Zarkana by Cirque du Soleil at Radio City Music Hall.

We had such a great time ,other than the heat! We are having record breaking heat here in St. Louis, so you’d think I’d be used to the sweltering weather.  But at home, I just stay inside.  New York was like being in a frying pan.

I got a little obsessed with checking the weather on my Nokia Lumia 900 Windows Phone.

Weather on my Windows Phone

I was seriously shocked on the ferry ride when I looked and it said it was only 90 and feels like 92……I’m pretty sure that was a typo and should have said Feels like 192° …….because it did!!

My Windows Phone came in super handy for finding our way around the city too thanks to the Local Scout feature that is pinned right to the front of my phone.

Using Local Scout on Windows Phone

Local Scout  uses the phones navigation to locate your position and brings everything you may need in that location. Not just restaurants but entertainment, shopping and more!  Fabulous tool when traveling.

With all the heat and walking, I didn’t always feel like carrying my big camera with me and I have to tell you about the cool feature I used on my phone, that I don’t have on my Nikon D7000!

I downloaded Camera Extras from the Market Place and I was able to take panorama pictures!  And what better place for a panorama picture than from Top of the Rock just after sunset?!

NYC skyline Top of the Rock Panorama at TidyMom.net ( click picture to see larger)

It’s really easy to take a panorama, the camera tells yo how far to move and where to stop to click. When you are done, it takes a few seconds to compile all of the shots into a panorama. You can see that it doesn’t work quite as well when you are on a boat lol. I took this one on the ferry as we left Liberty Island………I don’t think the New York Harbor really dips down like that! lol…..but still a cool picture.

Panorama Statue of Liberty at TidyMom.net(click picture to see larger)

So, now that I’m back in New York city again this week, sans the kids and with oh, 4,000+ other bloggers, I’m confident I’ll have no trouble finding my way around and documenting it along the way!

I’d love to hear what apps you’ve found that makes exploring a new city easier .

If you want to see how life looks on a Windows Phone, use their Facebook app to get a preview of the interface.

I'm Lovin It Party at TidyMom.net every week!

I’m Lovin’…….New York City and my Windows Phone

Now it’s your turn! Please remember to link back to http://TidyMom.net

Let us know what you’re lovin’ this week!

*Don’t forget to come back over the weekend for the I’m Lovin’ It Wrap Up post……where I feature a few of the great links!!

What is I’m Lovin’ It Fridays? get all the info, how to’s trouble shoot and button here

Disclosure: Microsoft gave me the the new Nokia Lumia 900 Windows Phone to test drive. I am being compensated for this review, however all opinions are all my own!

38 Responses to “New York City with my daughters: I’m Lovin’ It”

1. Cranberry Morning posted on August 2, 2012 at 8:38 pm (#

Ah, that sounds like a fantastic time! I was in NYC years ago and it seemed like a foreign country to me. I’d love to go again and spend a little more time there. So glad you’re getting this special time with your daughters!

• TidyMom replied on August 4th, 2012 at 5:03 am

it’s definitely an experience! lol

2. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking posted on August 2, 2012 at 8:41 pm (#

Sounds and looks like you had a fantastic time in NYC. we’re thinking of visiting again, but when the weather cools down a little so it doesn’t feel like 192F :))
    Have a great rest of the week Cheryl!

• TidyMom replied on August 4th, 2012 at 5:03 am

yes!! it’s just a little cooler here now and more tolerable, but fall would be BEAUTIFUL!

3. Lyuba posted on August 2, 2012 at 8:56 pm (#

Thank you so much for a great weekly party! Have a great week!

• TidyMom replied on August 4th, 2012 at 5:04 am

thanks for joining Lyuba!

4. Mary Beth|Cupcakes and Crinoline posted on August 2, 2012 at 9:02 pm (#

Thanks for hosting, Cheryl. I loved seeing the pictures of you and your girls…. : ) hugs, mb

• TidyMom replied on August 4th, 2012 at 4:56 am

thanks so much Mary Beth!

5. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on August 2, 2012 at 10:17 pm (#

I love seeing your pictures on Instagram! Feels like I’m on vacation with you :) Hope you and the ladies are having fun at the BlogHer. One of these days, I hope to get there.
    Thanks for another great party! Have a super time!

• TidyMom replied on August 4th, 2012 at 4:57 am

Thanks Karyn. and I’m having a wonderful time at BlogHer!

6. Lisa posted on August 2, 2012 at 11:02 pm (#

You are ONE LUCKY girl! I’ve always wanted to visit NYC!! It looks amazing.

7. Kimberly Sneed posted on August 3, 2012 at 12:43 am (#

Thanks for hosting Cheryl! I’m loving the NYC Instagram Pics!

• TidyMom replied on August 4th, 2012 at 4:57 am

Thanks Kim!

8. tanya Schroeder posted on August 3, 2012 at 5:49 am (#

Looks like you are having fun in NYC!!! Great pics! Thanks for hosting!

9. Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes posted on August 3, 2012 at 6:31 am (#

NYC is on my list of places to visit one of these days :) Looks like you’re having a great time! Have a safe trip. Thank you for hosting, Cheryl!

10. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on August 3, 2012 at 6:33 am (#

Thanks for hosting Cheryl. Looks like you girls are having a fabulous time!!!

11. Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} posted on August 3, 2012 at 8:25 am (#

Looks like you had a great time! :)
    Thanks for hosting another fun party!
    xo! Vanessa

12. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on August 3, 2012 at 9:30 am (#

Looks like you girls had lots of fun! Love the pics! Thanks for sharing!

13. Melissa @jonahbonah posted on August 3, 2012 at 10:08 am (#

Lovin that you had a girls weekend with your beautiful daughters! And, your post almost has me convinced the iPhone isn’t so great….. :0)

• TidyMom replied on August 4th, 2012 at 4:58 am

HAHA!! the Window’s phone has some really cool features doesn’t it?

14. Kristy Life-n-Reflection posted on August 3, 2012 at 10:26 am (#

Love your NY collage!

15. domonique posted on August 3, 2012 at 11:13 am (#

I’m so happy to have found your blog recently. am really enjoying it.
    I am pretty new to blogging and would love to know how to post a collage like the one from your trip to new york!
    love it. looks like so much fun even if super hot!

• TidyMom replied on August 4th, 2012 at 4:59 am

Thanks so much Domonique. Some times I use Photoshop, but this one I used an online free site called ipiccy.com it’s great, free and easy! Wonderful for collages

16. Heather@French Press posted on August 3, 2012 at 11:16 am (#

I really wish I was there now! LOVE NYC

• TidyMom replied on August 4th, 2012 at 5:00 am

me too, but I have to say…..my feet, aren’t loving it as much! haha!

17. Janet posted on August 3, 2012 at 11:50 am (#

What a wonderful trip! And how fun to be back there already. Thanks for hosting!

• TidyMom replied on August 4th, 2012 at 5:01 am

kinda of cool to visit so close together, because I feel like I know where I am a bit this time.
      Have a great weekend Janet!

18. Marialuisa posted on August 3, 2012 at 11:59 am (#

These are the best plans ever!!!.
    I love to go with my daughter anywhere!!!.
    Love from Spain
    Marialuisa

• TidyMom replied on August 4th, 2012 at 5:02 am

oh how I’d love to visit Spain some day Maialuisa!!! thanks for stopping by!

19. Jenni@MomEssentials.Net posted on August 3, 2012 at 9:18 pm (#

Hi!
    Thanks for letting me share my own recipe of helathy, tasty and delicious Nourishing cocoa bars!

20. Shannon at madiganmade posted on August 4, 2012 at 7:35 am (#

I’m late to the party, but I wanted to link up and look around. Thanks for hosting and enjoy the conference!

21. bridget {bake at 350} posted on August 6, 2012 at 9:37 am (#

Such great pictures, Cheryl! I know you and the girls had a visit you’ll never forget! I really want to take kiddo back someday! Love this!

1. Pingback: Vintage Sunset Starburst Mirror & a Guest Host! –

2. Pingback: It: New York City with – TidyMom | HelloBlvd Cities | Hello Blvd | HB | HBC

3. Pingback: Sweet Dessert Recipes | TidyMom

4. Pingback: Copy Cat Challenge {Painted Outdoor Floor Cloth} | An Extraordinary Day | A Place of Joy and Inspiration

5. Pingback: Pistacchio Gelato | TidyMom