Recipes

Rise and Shine Breakfast Burritos

Rise and Shine Egg and Bean Breakfast Burrito at TidyMom.net

Now that school is about to start back up, I like to make sure I have some good breakfast ideas to offer, other than cold cereal.  Breakfast burritos provide a ton of protein and staying power, perfect before school or work.

We had out of town family come stay with us last weekend, and I made these Egg and Bean Breakfast Burritos for everyone.  Seriously, one of the easiest things to make and you can customize to everyone’s liking!  I wrapped them in foil and everyone grabbed one, or two as they got up!  You can also make a large batch and freeze, then during the morning rush trying to find last nights home work, you just pull one out of the freezer and microwave for a few minutes and you’ve got breakfast to go!!  Wrap each one in plastic wrap, remember to mark the outside if the ingredients inside differ.

How to make Rise and Shine Burritos at TidyMom.net

I usually make breakfast burritos with what ever I have on hand.  This week we used seasoned black beans,with a few veggies and cheese.

I simply heated the black beans in a small sauce pan, while I chopped some tomato, mushrooms and red peppers (green pepper would have been more colorful, but I only had red).

Next I scrambled a few eggs in my cast iron skillet, then added the beans and veggies; heated the tortillas, then topped the tortillas with the egg mixture and sprinkled with a little cheese, rolled and  done!  How simple is that?!

If you are making them for a crowd, wrap them in aluminum foil so they stay warm for your guests!

Rise and Shine Burrito at TidyMom.net

Rise and Shine Breakfast Burritos

Yield: 8 burritos

Serving Size: 1 burrito

Rise and Shine Breakfast Burritos

This delicious, filling breakfast can be enjoyed around the table at home or wrapped and enjoyed on the go. Recipe adapted to what I had on hand, from Bush's Beans Rise and Shine Burritos

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) can BUSH’S® Seasoned Black Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 8 small eggs, lightly beaten
  • 8 (6 inch) flour tortillas
  • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar and Mexican cheese
  • 1/2 tomato, diced
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 red or green pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup fresh tomato salsa
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Heat beans in a medium sauce pot. Set aside.
  3. Heat a nonstick large pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and eggs. Using a spatula, cook and stir until eggs are scrambled. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Add black beans and vegetables to eggs
  5. Spread egg mixture in the lower section of the tortilla; top with cheese.
  6. Fold the outer 1/2-inch left and right sides of the tortilla in. This will help keep the filling inside once you roll your tortilla into a burrito.
  7. Cut in half and enjoy immediately. Serve with salsa
  8. If serving a crowd, wrap each burrito in foil to keep warm, or warm completed burritos in the oven for 5-10 minutes
  9. To Freeze:
  10. Wrap each burrito in plastic wrap then, mark the outside if ingredients differ.
  11. Place in a freezer zip lock bag, remove excess air and seal tightly and freeze.
  12. When ready to eat, remove burrito from freezer, discard plastic wrap.
  13. Wrap burrito in paper towel, and microwave for 1 1/2-2 minutes, or until hot. Enjoy breakfast!
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

I’d love to hear what you like in a breakfast burrito!

If you like these Breakfast Burritos, you might also like:

I grew up in a house who used Bush’s Beans, I am now proud to be a brand ambassador for them. All opinions and views are my own.

32 Responses to “Rise and Shine Breakfast Burritos”

1. Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama posted on August 13, 2012 at 7:34 am (#

LOVE breakfast burritos. These look like the perfect way to start my busy mornings when School starts next week!

2. Brian @ A Thought For Food posted on August 13, 2012 at 7:44 am (#

These look absolutely fabulous, Cheryl! I’m thinking about what I want for breakfast and now I can’t get these off my mind!

3. megan @ whatmegansmakin posted on August 13, 2012 at 8:33 am (#

I’ve been wanting to make breakfast burritos for awhile now – thanks for a recipe to get started with! :)

4. Maria posted on August 13, 2012 at 8:43 am (#

Great way to start the day!

5. Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch posted on August 13, 2012 at 9:06 am (#

Such a great start in the mornings! Love this.

6. Anita posted on August 13, 2012 at 9:14 am (#

These look yummy. I’ll have to give them a try.

7. Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies posted on August 13, 2012 at 9:14 am (#

I completely agree about having protein at breakfast. I struggle to find some variety in my breakfast proteins! These burritos look delicious. I love the idea of putting them in the freezer, because you never know when you’re going to have a rushed morning.

8. HeatherChristo posted on August 13, 2012 at 9:41 am (#

I just love a breakfast burrito Cheryl! they are so filling, they always hold me off until late afternoon. Love it!

9. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on August 13, 2012 at 9:50 am (#

We love breakfast burritos! It’s perfect if you can make a batch ahead and freeze them!

10. marla posted on August 13, 2012 at 9:54 am (#

Oh how I would LOVE to wake up to these burritos any day!

11. JulieD posted on August 13, 2012 at 10:00 am (#

I love breakfast burritos!! Love that you added black beans!

12. Russell at Chasing Delicious posted on August 13, 2012 at 10:29 am (#

I loveeee breakfast burritos! It’s pretty much the go-to Texas breakfast. I’ve never made them at home though – probably because we have breakfast burrito trucks on every corner. I need to change that though!

13. Jeanette posted on August 13, 2012 at 10:43 am (#

What a fun fantastic breakfast idea for school – great for on the run mornings!

14. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies posted on August 13, 2012 at 11:45 am (#

People don’t often think of it, but beans and eggs are a match made in heaven. I *adore* refried beans and scrambled eggs together, and those usually go into my burritos or breakfast tacos, and also pico de gallo and fried potatoes.

15. Amber {Sprinkled With Flour} posted on August 13, 2012 at 11:58 am (#

What a great way to start the day! These look amazingly good. :)

16. Carla @ Carlas Confections posted on August 13, 2012 at 12:34 pm (#

What a great idea! I think I will be making and freezing some of these really soon! I think I would love to have some chorizo in mine. Yum! These look really fantastic though too!

17. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar posted on August 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm (#

Such a great hearty breakfast! Yum!

18. Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] posted on August 13, 2012 at 7:07 pm (#

I am a huge fan of breakfast burritos! This looks fantastic.

19. cindy posted on August 13, 2012 at 7:31 pm (#

We do love breakfast burritos at our house. Ours usually include sausage and hasbrowns along with the eggs and veggies. Beans would be a great addition–I’ll add some next time. Thanks.

20. nest of posies posted on August 13, 2012 at 8:10 pm (#

i LOVE anything with black beans.

21. Carolyn posted on August 14, 2012 at 5:22 am (#

Mmm, mmm. I may have to get ahold of some low carb tortillas to make these!

22. Amanda posted on August 14, 2012 at 10:49 am (#

YUM!! What a gorgeous breakfast burrito, and I love your step-by-step collage!! :)

23. Lisa | With Style and Grace posted on August 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm (#

I’m all for a breakfast burrito!

24. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on August 14, 2012 at 6:10 pm (#

Love breakfast burritos. We freeze them and bring them camping, just stick em on the hot fire!

25. Deliciously Organic posted on August 15, 2012 at 11:46 am (#

These are the perfect way to start a busy school day. Thanks!

26. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted on August 16, 2012 at 9:21 am (#

Mmmmm…my kind of breakfast!!

27. astro posted on December 2, 2013 at 8:52 pm (#

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following.
    unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

1. Pingback: 100 Healthy, Delicious and Easy Lunchbox Snack Ideas on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking

2. Pingback: The Greatist Table: 5 Healthy On-The-Go Breakfast Recipes from Around the Web | Greatist

3. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - 100 New Lunchbox Ideas To Try