Spring Cleaning Carpets | Rug Doctor
Since spring is officially here and we’ve been discussing the inevitable “spring cleaning” season , I thought it would be a good time to talk about carpets!
Several months ago I had the opportunity to visit the Rug Doctor Factory, which just so happens to be right here in St. Louis! Being a mom and family to four dogs, I was ALL over that!
We learned a few eye opening facts about carpets:
- 80 percent of the dirt in your house walks in through the door on people’s feet
- bacteria can live after four weeks on the carpet
- The carpet in your home could be seven times dirtier than a city street
- A carpet that appears beautiful and clean can actually hide as much as a pound of dirt per square yard
- 2,000 dust mites can live on one ounce of carpet dust
Is carpet cleaning on your Spring cleaning list now?
How often do you clean your carpets? If you’re like many people I bet you’re lucky if you clean your carpets once a year, but did you know you should clean your carpets every few months? Not only will it keep your home cleaner, but will extend the life of your carpet.
For most carpets the best cleaning comes from hot-water extraction. It’s the method recommended by most major carpet manufacturers and used by professional carpet cleaning services. Continued, regular deep-cleaning not only removes allergens, dirt, and grime, but can add years of life to your carpet by removing the abrasive grit that harms carpet fibers.
The Rug Doctor is the most popular, convenient, compact and powerful carpet cleaning machine on the market. This power horse uses a vibrating brush instead of a rotating brush, allowing the dirt to break up better and be extracted from the carpet fibers.
During our Rug Doctor tour, we got to try out the machine for ourselves (yes, they got a bunch of bloggers together at The Legends Country Club to clean their carpets for them……how smart was that! HA!)
I’ve rented the machines in the past and love how truly easy they are to maneuver and use! But what I really loved is, The Rug Doctor not only cleans your carpets, but has attachments to clean your upholstered furniture and even the carpet in your car!!
Here I am using the attachable Hand Tool, which is perfect for upholstery, as well as stairs and hard to reach places!
I don’t know about you, but we’ve had our house open for weeks, with all of the beautiful spring weather we’ve been having. But, I’ve also been seeing a lot of yellow pollen on my furniture when I clean, so you know that pollen and other allergens are in the carpet. Rug Doctor has new Anti Allergen Carpet Cleaner. This carpet cleaner helps to provide a healthier home environment, especially for to allergy sufferers, year round! The Anti Allergen Carpet Cleaner uses a unique formulation to help remove and refresh carpet fibers, remove pollen, pet dander and dust mites!
Since we have several fur balls in our house, having a Rug Doctor on hand is a savior for spot cleaning. I’ve been using the Anti-Allergen cleaning formula and our house smells so fresh! My carpet is clean and it’s really motivated me to continue on with spring cleaning the rest of my house!
Rug Doctor can be found in over 30,000 supermarkets, and home improvement centers in the United States. You can rent them for a 24 hour period or longer! We also learned that each Rug Doctor machine in a retail location is 100% maintained and cleaned by Rug Doctor!
Since spring cleaning can be very time consuming and tedious, Rug Doctor has put together a few tips to tackle those chores:
- Make a Checklist: To help get organized, make a checklist of each room in your home and all the items in that room that need to be cleaned or organized, from the ceiling to the floor. No item or area is too small for some TLC. Don’t forget the windows and blinds, light bulbs, ceiling fan, bedding and curtains and even inside appliances, such as refrigerators and ovens.
- Prioritize Your Checklist: Now that you know what needs to be done, what can you accomplish today? Each day will vary depending on your schedule with work, family, but having a list prepared will help keep you on track. Make the most of spring cleaning by not exhausting yourself in the process. If you have two hours to straighten up one day and 20 minutes the next, don’t get discouraged or feel defeated – you’re still making progress!
- Clear the Clutter: Before you begin deep cleaning, remove the clutter and items you don’t use or need any more from rooms, closets and even your garage. This will help you get organized and will make the cleaning process easier once the clutter is no longer around and taking up unnecessary space.
- Organize, Organize, Organize: Along with de-cluttering, remember this is the perfect opportunity to organize the things you are tidying up – especially when it comes to the ‘black holes’ in your home like closets or underneath beds. Ask yourself: “Do I use this item? Do I need this item?” If the answer is “no” to both, it might be a good opportunity to donate the item(s) to charity.
- Stock Your Supplies: Take an inventory of your cleaning supplies and do some shopping to stock up on all the items you need to have on hand. While you make your shopping list, think about all the various surfaces in your house and needed products for fabrics, furniture, counter-tops, glass and tile, as well as the tools you need to do the scrubbing, such as paper towels, sponges and brushes.
- Family Fun: Cleaning the entire house can be difficult and take a long time if you’re trying to do it on your own. Get your family involved in the process by assigning people to different rooms or particular tasks. Don’t forget to reward your fellow cleaners after all of their hard work.
- Deep Clean Carpets: Carpet that appears clean can hide as much as a pound of dirt per square yard. If you haven’t deep cleaned your carpets recently, this is the perfect time to do so. Rug Doctor machines and products are easy to use and can be picked up at your local supermarket or home improvement store. Use our simple online Cost Savings Calculator to determine the products that are best for your cleaning needs.
Be sure to “Like” Rug Doctor on Facebook to pick up some rental coupons!
What’s the only thing that could be better than RENTING a Rug Doctor? Did you know, for as little as the cost of one visit from a professional carpet cleaning service you can now OWN the Rug Doctor Mighty Pro® for your home?! I was SO excited to learn that I can clean my carpets any time I want, and best yet, I don’t have to feel like I have to clean my whole house in 24 hours!
Mighty Pro is the same in construction as the red Rug Doctor rental machine that withstands daily, often punishing use yet lasts for years, so you can imagine, it could be the only carpet-cleaning machine you’ll ever need to buy. Every Rug Doctor comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, plus a five-year manufacturer’s warranty.
GIVEAWAY has Ended
Grand Prize comment#459 Jerri
Runner up comment # 616 Carrie
The awesome people at Rug Doctor gave me a blue Mighty Pro and nice product bundle to for my home and they would like to give one lucky TidyMom reader a Rug Doctor Mighty Pro® Blue Machine (value $500.00) along with the winners choice of one 96 oz. cleaning product: Anti Allergen ($22.99), Pet Formula ($20.99), or Oxy-Steam ($18.99)
Rug doctor would also like to send one lucky runner up a few Rug Doctor cleaning Products: one Urine Eliminator ($9.99) and one Spot & Stain Remover ($6.99).
To Enter REQUIRED: Leave a comment on this post telling me when was the last time you cleaned your carpets. (if you are reading this post via email, you must leave a comment on the blog post to enter) Want extra entries? (be sure to leave a separate comment for each)
- Tweet: Spring clean your carpets and enter to #win a @RugDoctor Mighty Pro from @TidyMom http://ow.ly/9VELS #springcleaning
- Follow TidyMom on Pinterest
- Let me know if you Like TidyMom and Rug Doctor on Facebook
Official Rules: No purchase necessary. Must be over 18. Giveaway will end on April 5, 2012 at 5:00 pm CST. Winners with a valid entry will be selected at random using random.org. Winners will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to claim their prize or another winner will be selected. TidyMom and Rug Doctor are not responsible for lost or undelivered emails.
Disclaimer: I attended a Rug Doctor Blogger Event and received a Rug Doctor Machine, to learn more about the company and their products. Rug Doctor is providing giveaway prizes to two TidyMom readers. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
@TidyMom or scan my QR code with your camera