Holiday

13 Must Have Kitchen Gadgets for Mom

13 Gift Ideas for Mother's Day

Still wondering what to get Mom for Mother’s Day?  Show her how much you appreciate all of her slaving in the kitchen, by spoiling her with a new kitchen gadget.

Who better to ask for kitchen ideas than food bloggers

13 food bloggers share their favorite tools in the kitchen

Mother's Day Kitchen Gift ideas

1.  Blendtec High-Speed Blender -  I adore my high-speed blender , it makes the creamiest soups and smoothies.  I use it every day.  I put all sorts of vegetables into the blender and turn them into soup by adding vegetable stock or water.  It also makes silky smooth nut milks like my Chocolate Hazelnut Milk or my Honey Cinnamon Cashew Milk. ~ Sylvie, Gourmande in the Kitchen

2.  Egg Slicer – My egg slicer. Use all the time for strawberries, mushrooms, eggs! It’s awesome. ~ Sandy,  Reluctant Entertainer

3.  Kitchen Shears –  I wouldn’t want to do without kitchen shears. They are used daily by everyone in our family. From cutting pizza, raw chicken, herbs, opening up packaging, etc. … definitely a multi-purpose tool around here. ~Amy, She Wears Many Hats

4.  Citrus Juicer – We use lemon juice and lime juice a lot in our cooking, but I never feel like I’m getting all the juice out when I squeeze them by hand. My hands are somewhat small, and I always feel like they’re inadequate. I reach for the citrus juicer at least every other day to make sauces, add citrus to salad dressings, to make marinades, cocktails and more. ~ Shaina, Food for My Family

5.  Tongs – Perhaps one of the most useful kitchen tools ever, I refer to my chef’s tongs as my third hand because I reach for them so often during the day. I use my tongs to loosen boiling spaghetti, toss a salad, turn cubes of browning stew meat or kebobs and do virtually anything that is too hot or icky to do with my bare hands. ~ Aimee, Simple Bites

6.  Silpats – I don’t bake cookies without my Silpat baking mats. I love that you can use the baking mats over and over again, they help the cookies bake evenly, and clean up is a breeze! Perfect for baking Triple Chocolate Chunk Oreo Cookies.  ~ Maria, Two Peas and Their Pod

Kitchen Gift ideas for Mom

7.  Pot Strainer – I am one of those people who uses about every pot and pan in the kitchen when I cook.  My mom always had pot strainers around when I was a kid because they were bank freebies.  These days they are much cuter and definitely better than washing a colander ~ Callye, Sweet Sugar Belle

8.  Le Creuset cast iron skillet – Right now I would have to say that my favorite kitchen item is my Le Creuset cast iron skillet. I use it all the time and for so many different dishes. It’s very versatile and I like the way cast iron has such an even heat distribution while cooking. I love cast iron skillets for making frittatas. ~ Katie, Good Life Eats

9.  Bread Machine – Mine is my bread machine – I love making homemade bread, specifically using the dough cycle of my bread machine. I enjoy kneading dough but also love being able to just throw the ingredients into my ABM and let it do the work. There is nothing quite like fresh, homemade bread! ~ Kristen, Dine and Dish

10.  Good Quality Chef’s Knife – A good chef’s knife is probably the single most important and useful tool in a kitchen, the Henckels 8″ Chef knife has become my favorite kitchen tool! My only regret is that I waited so long to get one.  If you can only have one good knife, a chef’s knife is what you want. It can be used for slicing, dicing, chopping, mincing, disjointing large cuts of meat and even smashing garlic. Very handy to have when making something like Creamy Bacon Potato Soup. ~Cheryl, TidyMom

11.  Prep Taxi Food Scoop- This stainless steel scoop gets whatever I’ve chopped where it needs to go. From savory to sweet it’s my #1 go~to gadget.  I can’t imagine baking and cooking without it! ~Teresa, Blooming on Bainbridge

12.  Bench Scraper – One of my very favorite kitchen tools is my bench scraper!  Yes, it can be used to scrape dough off of the counter, or “bench,” but what I use it for regularly is to cut brownies, blondies, and goodies like Kahlua-Coffee Ice Cream Dream Cake.  I can’t live without it! ~ Bridget, Bake at 350

13.  Solid Spatula – I cant live without my solid spatula.  I am so tough on mine that they often fall apart or separate at the seem.  This bad boy never fails me, especially when I’m whipping up a batch of my favorite butter cream! ~ Amanda, i am baker

Hopefully these ideas will inspire you to stock Mom’s kitchen (or your own) with a few key quality items that will prove themselves to be invaluable for cooking and will last the test of time.

I’d love to hear about your kitchen “favorites” or “must haves” in the comments

42 Responses to “13 Must Have Kitchen Gadgets for Mom”

1. Jenny posted on May 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm (#

My favorite is also the one piece spatula. I was always disgusted by the 2 piece ones. What’s really hiding in there?

Dave does most of the cooking here and I’d say he loves his Le Creuset french oven.

• TidyMom replied on May 10th, 2012 at 6:57 am

The Le Creuset French Oven has been on my wish list!!………I will say though, I do use and love my LC braiser a LOT!

2. teresa posted on May 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm (#

WOW!
    First of all….how much do I LOVE those BIG FUN RED flowers!!!!
    Fabulous post Cheryl!
    I hardly have any of these GADGETS!
    Love the Blendtec!
    Would die to have that Bread Machine!
    Happy Mother’s Day to one of the FUNNEST mom’s I know!
    Alison and Heather are two lucky girls!
    xoxoxoxoox

3. Diane {Created by Diane} posted on May 10, 2012 at 12:25 am (#

what a great list of items…I’m a gadget girl and have lots of drawers full of fun items for the kitchen and I use them..even better :) I hang my white coated metal strainer on a hook as I use it daily and I’m with Amanda on the spatula thing…LOVE my spatulas! Also tongs. I use tongs for everything.

4. Notyet100 posted on May 10, 2012 at 1:45 am (#

Silpat is on my wish list since long,..luved the lit

5. Brian @ A Thought For Food posted on May 10, 2012 at 6:49 am (#

These are all fabulous! Couldn’t agree more with this selection!

6. Aimee @ Simple Bites posted on May 10, 2012 at 6:54 am (#

Loved seeing what the other girls selected. Thanks for the round-up, Cheryl!

7. Marty posted on May 10, 2012 at 7:01 am (#

Stop right there! This is a trap! NEVER EVER EVER give a woman kitchen gadgets, appliances, tools or whatever for Mother’s Day!!! You might as well buy her a vacuum cleaner for Mother’s Day. You will pay dearly for it, until the next Hallmark Holiday comes around and you will be forced to buy her that $3000 piece of overpriced jewelry that she has secretly wanted.
    Ha!

• TidyMom replied on May 10th, 2012 at 8:01 am

HAHA Marty – personally, I’m not a jewelry girl, and would LOVE something new for my kitchen or a Dyson Vacuum cleaner! lol

• Katelyn replied on May 10th, 2012 at 10:26 am

Haha! But in all seriousness you just really have to know the person. I asked for a pizza stone for Mother’s Day and I’m considering asking for a bread machine for Christmas. I don’t wear much jewelry chasing a toddler around all day. I’d much rather have a gift I use, but that’s me.

8. Rachel Cooks (formerly Not Rachael Ray) posted on May 10, 2012 at 7:02 am (#

Fun post and great picks–I agree with nearly every single blogger!

9. Sandy @ RE posted on May 10, 2012 at 7:05 am (#

You make everything so fun! I don’t have all of these tools, so I’m going to check them out. Thanks for the linky love today and Happy Mother’s Day, Cheryl. You have 2 beautiful daughters, so much to be thankful for! :)

• TidyMom replied on May 10th, 2012 at 8:07 am

awe, thanks so much Sandy……….you do too!

10. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more posted on May 10, 2012 at 7:19 am (#

I love kitchen gadgets so many thing to play with.

11. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. posted on May 10, 2012 at 7:23 am (#

I want all of these !

12. Anne @ Domesblissity posted on May 10, 2012 at 7:32 am (#

Cheryl, I love my ice cream scoops in a couple different sizes for scooping cookie dough or muffin/cupcake batter. A uniform scoop everytime. Also, I couldn’t get by without my stick blender. It doesn’t take up hardly any room and it’s great for smoothies, soups, whipping cream and I used to make the kid’s baby food when they were young.

Anne @ Domesblissity xx

• TidyMom replied on May 10th, 2012 at 8:07 am

oooh, I need a stick blender!!

13. Michele N posted on May 10, 2012 at 8:21 am (#

I have 7 of the 13, or 8 if you count my cast iron skillet which I don’t use much in the kitchen, it’s not a pretty one, old camping style one. I love my egg slicer, I also use it for olives. I really, really want a Silpat or three. My favorite item is probably my tomato shark/strawberry huller.

• Michele N replied on May 10th, 2012 at 8:22 am

Oh & my scoops for cookie dough, etc although I haven’t been able to find the perfect sized one yet.

14. Carolyn posted on May 10, 2012 at 8:41 am (#

Of these items, I have about 5. Love that lemon juicer! I think I should forward this to my husband… ;)

15. Kristen posted on May 10, 2012 at 8:51 am (#

I would add that my second and third would be Amy and Bridget’s mentions… couldn’t live without those in my kitchen!

16. bridget {bake at 350} posted on May 10, 2012 at 9:03 am (#

Now, why have I never tried those pot strainers that Callye mentioned? Hmm…

Oh, and ditto to #3 and #5. Use those all the time as well!

• TidyMom replied on May 10th, 2012 at 9:05 am

oh you must get the pot strainer Bridget!! it was one of the first things I got when I got my own place! lol

17. Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch posted on May 10, 2012 at 9:22 am (#

So many great ideas!!! I love them all!

18. Amanda posted on May 10, 2012 at 9:26 am (#

What a fantastic list!!! I want everything on here!

19. Kristin Thomas posted on May 10, 2012 at 9:55 am (#

love my pampered chef garlic press and food chopper- use them daily!

20. Maria posted on May 10, 2012 at 9:57 am (#

Fun post! I want to go shopping now:)

21. Shaina posted on May 10, 2012 at 9:58 am (#

What a great round-up of products!

22. Stephanie posted on May 10, 2012 at 10:08 am (#

I can’t live without my rice cooker!

Thanks for some great ideas for kitchen gadgets!

• TidyMom replied on May 10th, 2012 at 11:34 am

haha! Stephanie…..Shaina had a hard time deciding between her juicer and her rice cooker – she uses her’s all the time too.

23. Heidi @foodiecrush posted on May 10, 2012 at 10:30 am (#

I don’t know if I could cook another meal without 2 things: my tongs and my kitchen shears. I think I could go to war and win with those two things!

24. Auntiepatch posted on May 10, 2012 at 11:08 am (#

I have/had all except the egg slicer. We’re not much for hard boiled eggs. I had a bread maker but didn’t use it so I gave it to Salvation Army. I’d rather do it myself with my hands.

Great List. I can’t do without my K.A.F. (made in the USA) cookie sheets, muffin pan, & loaf pan! Great products!

25. Robin @ Bird On A Cake posted on May 10, 2012 at 11:32 am (#

I love my bench scraper too…but I use mine to get smooth frosting on the sides of my cakes! Thanks for all the ideas! :0)

26. Vicki Bensinger posted on May 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm (#

I’m definitely a gadget gal. With so many it’s hard to choose a favorite but I do love my microplane and my corn stripper and Mandoline both from OXO. Great gadgets make cooking easy and effortless.

27. Lisa@BlessedwithGrace posted on May 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm (#

Great kitchen gadgets. I am having some gadget envy right now. :-)

28. Heather @ What Does She Do All Day? posted on May 11, 2012 at 6:32 am (#

I second the Silpat!!! I never bake with out it!!

29. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective posted on May 11, 2012 at 6:51 am (#

Cheryl, I need those food scoops. I keep meaning to buy myself one!

30. Jamie | My Baking Addiction posted on May 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm (#

Great roundup, Cheryl! I must agree with Sylvie – the Blendtec is amazing!

31. Jenny posted on May 12, 2012 at 8:56 am (#

I can’t cook without my KitchenAid mixer. I use if ALL the time. I also love my tongs and kitchen shears. But, the most important item I think for anyone in the kitchen is a good chef’s knife. Great list. I’m going to be looking for a pot strainer!

32. Julie posted on May 12, 2012 at 9:29 pm (#

I absolutely love my mini food processor. I use it all the time to mince and chop onions and garlic. It also makes quick work of grinding nuts to use for my tart crusts. The Le Creuset Braiser is at the top of my wish list!

33. Bev posted on May 17, 2012 at 7:23 pm (#

I have 6 of those, and I would have to add a “whisk” to that list! It is the perfect tool for mixing so many things. I have 3, and use one nearly every day. Probably the thing I use a whisk for most, is mixing pancake/waffle batter. Works great!

1. Pingback: 13 Must Have Kitchen Gadgets for Mom | YooCustomize.com