DIY/Crafts

Thrifty Spring Centerpiece Craft from Kami of No Biggie

I think you’re going to LOOOVE my special guest this week!!  My friend Kami is a thrifty, crafty maven over at her blog, No Biggie.  She always has something fun up her sleeve like she’s sharing here today!………take it away Kami……..

Hi TidyMom fans!

I’m Kami, and I blog at NoBiggie, nobiggie.net. I love to share crafts – recipes – thrift store finds – quick tips and pictures of my kids :). With a name like NoBiggie, I can get away with it all. :)

I’m thrilled to be here. Cheryl’s recipes and food photography inspires me. I’m excited to make some Easter cookies in the next few weeks.

Today I’m sharing with you a simple thrifty craft that has the look of something you would buy at a boutique (don’t you love that?!) It’s a Spring centerpiece – a robin’s egg nest.

I still love the color combination of turquoise blue and chocolate brown, and this is a fun way to highlight those colors together.

DIY thrifty spring centerpiece at TidyMom.net

I love to thrift store shop and I’ve found some great finds…along with a bunch of things that I brought home that I now question “what the heck was I thinking?” :) Well, today I’m turning that purchase into something better. (thank goodness!)

Here is what you’ll need to make this Spring centerpiece:

wooden easter eggs: $2.00 – (the questionable thrift store find) turquoise ribbon: $2.00 DecoArt paint (2 – 2oz. bottles): $2.50 (Joann’s or Michaels craft stores) spanish moss: $2.50 grapevine wreath: $2.00 – thrift store apothecary jar: $12.00 (thrifted) – you could use big mason jars here too

Total cost – 11.00 plus glass jars (mason jars or apothecary jars)

Step 1: Take apart an old grapevine wreath. I have found that a soak in warm water in your sink can help loosen up the shape of the wreath. You only need a few thin branches from the wreath, but it helps to take it apart a bit to get what you need from it.

Step 2: Clean up those wooden easter eggs from the thrift store. These little eggs were meant to hang from one of those little easter trees, so they all had little strings hanging from the bottoms. I first chipped off the hot glue and pulled out those strings before I began painting.

Step 3: Paint the eggs. The first coat of craft paint I used here is Spa Blue by DecoArt. To hold the eggs up while they dry, I used toothpicks and floral foam.

Step 4: Speckle the eggs. With Dark Chocolate by DecoArt, I flicked bits of paint onto the blue eggs giving them that speckled look. You might want to do this step outside. It’s a bit messy.
Step 5: Clear gloss coat. This step is not shown here, but find a clear glossy top coat to give the eggs a shine.

Step 6: Tie a matching turquoise ribbon around the glass container. Finish off the edges of the cut ribbon by melting the edges with a candle. This is one of my favorite quick tips.

Step 7: Assemble everything together. Layer in pieces of the grapevine wreath, spanish moss and then the blue eggs.

Voila! There you have a fun Spring-y center piece. Inexpensive too!

Thanks for having me today, Cheryl!

35 Responses to “Thrifty Spring Centerpiece Craft from Kami of No Biggie”

1. Lynn from For Love or Funny posted on March 23, 2011 at 7:07 am (#

That is the perfect spring centerpiece! So cute!

2. bridget {bake at 350} posted on March 23, 2011 at 8:27 am (#

What a darling idea! And so good to see Kami here! :)

3. Amanda posted on March 23, 2011 at 8:51 am (#

So adorable!! What a neat idea!! Cant wait to stalk Kami’s blog now!

4. Paula posted on March 23, 2011 at 8:52 am (#

Love how Kami speckled the eggs and didn’t just leave the solid blue. Cute and yes, very thrifty Spring decoration. Thanks for introducing Kami to me!

• Sara Campbell replied on February 8th, 2012 at 12:05 am

Im so ready for spring to come back around for me to try this great idea!

5. Mique posted on March 23, 2011 at 9:14 am (#

So cute Kami! I love the colors you used. Perfect spring project!

6. Sandy @ Reluctant Entertainer posted on March 23, 2011 at 9:27 am (#

Love this, Kami!

Is it time to get the Easter stuff out? :)

Thanks for another great guest post today, Cheryl :)

7. Michell Kaul posted on March 23, 2011 at 9:30 am (#

I love it!!

8. Cassie posted on March 23, 2011 at 10:49 am (#

I love that centerpiece! So adorable. :)

9. Marisa posted on March 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm (#

Very cute! I love blue and brown. And I NEED an apothecary jar like that!

10. Angela S posted on March 23, 2011 at 2:43 pm (#

Thanks for the great idea!

11. Leanne posted on March 23, 2011 at 3:12 pm (#

SO cute Kami! I’m going to have to make these for a centerpiece. They’re so pretty and Springy.

12. angie {the arthur clan} posted on March 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm (#

This idea is so pretty Kami and would match my bedroom perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing!

13. april kennedy posted on March 23, 2011 at 3:35 pm (#

That cute little Kami is going to be my roommate in a few weeks at a conference. Lucky me!! What a great project. I love it…and love the speckled eggs.

14. jen @ tatertots and jello posted on March 23, 2011 at 5:20 pm (#

ADORABLE!!! I love it. And Kami is just darling. How fun to see her on one of my other favorite blogs!!!

xoxoxox
    Jen

15. Debbie posted on March 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm (#

Beautiful, I love those colors together too!

16. Niki posted on March 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm (#

I so, so, so LOVE this!! I am decorating for my MIL’s birthday party, and using a bird theme (one of her favorites). I can’t wait to make a matching version for the party…thanks so much for the idea!!!

17. Monica posted on March 23, 2011 at 6:53 pm (#

Soooo cute!!

18. Shauna posted on March 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm (#

So cute for an Easter table! Kami is too creative!

19. Jenny posted on March 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm (#

So cute!

20. Kami posted on March 23, 2011 at 10:51 pm (#

Thank you so much for having me today, Cheryl! That was fun!

21. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction posted on March 24, 2011 at 1:24 pm (#

What a fun idea :)

22. Jennifer posted on March 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm (#

That is extremely cute!

23. sweetsugarbelle posted on March 26, 2011 at 11:55 am (#

This is so so pretty! I’m on a speckled cookie kick myself. Made me want to.go.to hobby lobby today! I’m definitely making a.version.of.this!!!

24. Cassie posted on March 28, 2011 at 2:08 pm (#

What a fabulous project! I want to try it now!!!! =)

25. Brenda posted on March 30, 2011 at 5:36 am (#

this is a great project and I love that you covered frumpy looking eggs and made them fabulous! Thank you for sharing:)

26. Melinda Hileman posted on March 31, 2011 at 9:19 am (#

OMG! I saw something very similar at Cracker Barrel over the weekend and was going to re-create it next week!

27. Lani V. posted on April 24, 2011 at 7:36 pm (#

This is a great idea! Just perfect for spring!
    -Lani

28. Miami Foreclosure Defence posted on May 2, 2011 at 1:06 pm (#

Thats really cute!

29. Sara Campbell posted on February 8, 2012 at 12:05 am (#

i cant wait for spring to come again so i can decorate with this awesome idea!

1. Pingback: A Sunday Afternoon » Blog Archive » Sharing {great ideas} on Saturday #6! » A Sunday Afternoon

2. Pingback: {Fab Friday Finds} 6 Spring Inspired Centerpieces — The Plunge Project

3. Pingback: Egg-Cellent DIY Easter Party | HaveDeals

4. Pingback: 10 Ideas for Decorating with Apothecary Jars « perpetuallydaydreaming

5. Pingback: A Collection Of Centerpiece Crafts For Any Occasion | Rustic Crafts & Chic Decor