DIY/Crafts

T-Shirt Scarf Tutorial {no sew}

You may know that scarves are the hot accessory trend right now!   And anyone who knows me,  knows I’m a huge scarf lover!  I must own at least 20 scarves and I wear them with almost everything.

So when I saw Kim and Kris of DIY Dish do a no sew T-Shirt Scarf Tutorial I just couldn’t get it out of my mind!

How to make a scarf using a t-shirt! no sewing required. 15 min DIY T-Shirt Scarf Tutorial at TidyMom.net

How cute is THAT?!  Can you believe I made that scarf  from a t-shirt…..and the best part, no sewing required!!

How to Make a No Sew T-Shirt Scarf Tutorial

I bet it took me all of 15 mins to make a scarf from a t-shirt.  I used a t-shirt my husband had, but only wore once or twice.

Supplies Needed:

• 1 XL or XXL t-shirt
  • 9″ paper plate
  • Scissors
  • decorative pin/flower (optional)

How to make a scarf using a t-shirt! no sewing required at TidyMom.net

DIRECTIONS

1. lay t-shirt out flat (make sure you can get 8-12 circles)
  2. Use paper plate to trace 8-12 circles on t-shirt (4-6 on each side of the shirt)
  3. cut out circles
  4. cut each fabric circle into a spiral (*see how to do this in the video)
  5. stretch each piece of fabric and lay all pieces together
  6. tie around your neck and place a pretty rosette flower pin to dress it up!

Click here to watch Kim’s video tutorial to see more detail how to make this scarf and 2 others.  *Kim suggests gluing 2 pieces together, I did not do that, so my scarf is just a little shorter than her t-shirt scarf.

I love how light-weight this scarf is, I can wear it with a sweater or a t-shirt. So fashionable! these scarves are perfect for dressing up an outfit for any season!

How to make a scarf using a t-shirt! no sewing required at TidyMom.net

I can’t wait to make more!  I’d love to hear if you give this a try!

This simple t-shirt scarf tutorial has been pinned over 80,000 times!!

pinterest-image

Have the latest fashion accessory!! Learn how to turn t-shirts into scarfs in just minutes - no sewing required!  15 minute DIY  T-Shirt Scarf Tutorial at TidyMom.net

@TidyMom or scan my HR code with your camera

@TidyMom or scan my QR code with your camera

Yum

164 Responses to “T-Shirt Scarf Tutorial {no sew}”

1. Wenderly posted on March 10, 2011 at 3:10 pm (#)

Darling! I know what my girls and I are doing this weekend!

2. nicole posted on March 11, 2011 at 7:08 pm (#)

That’s so cute! Can’t wait to try that out!

3. jeanna posted on March 11, 2011 at 7:14 pm (#)

I’m in love with this scarf. It is so bright and fun.

Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.blogspot.com

4. Alison posted on March 11, 2011 at 10:18 pm (#)

You make this look so easy! Love that bright red… adorable!!

5. Sarah @ Sarahndipities posted on March 12, 2011 at 9:00 am (#)

This so awesome!! I love the colors!!! I’m sooooo going to make this!!

6. Mel posted on March 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm (#)

Thanks for posting the great instructions as well as the link.

I ran to my sons drawer and made one right away. Easy and cute.

7. Rachel posted on March 12, 2011 at 8:57 pm (#)

That is adorable! Great job, Cheryl!

8. Juliette posted on March 13, 2011 at 9:53 am (#)

Love this! – great blog photos and layout, so nice to see a well-done craft blog!

Question: I tried making another variation of a T-shirt scarf the other day and found that it just sheds a ton. This was from an old T-shirt that’s been washed tons, so I know the shedding is only from the cutting of the fibers, but I’m wondering how you deal with this?

9. Claire @ Claire K Creations posted on March 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm (#)

I made a green one of these for my grandma and she loved it. I bought cheap jersey fabric instead of using a tshirt and it was so easy!

10. Julie posted on March 14, 2011 at 4:21 am (#)

I love this! I’d love for you to link up at Inspire Me Mondays @ Singing Three Little Birds.

11. marifetli kadin posted on March 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm (#)

wow very nice and easy i like it :)

12. fblinil posted on March 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm (#)

into the hands of a very good health:))

13. Kim and Kris posted on March 15, 2011 at 12:08 pm (#)

Soooooooooooooo cute Cheryl!!! Not just cute…gorgeous! We love the orange!! We’re so glad you liked the tutorial – thank you for sharing it on your blog!

14. Becky Mcwhorter posted on March 19, 2011 at 7:29 am (#)

I love this! I can’t wait to try it! Thank you for this!
    Becky :-)

15. Rachel Bilson posted on April 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm (#)

a very good site

16. Dusti posted on July 30, 2011 at 7:54 am (#)

This is now my favorite scarft. I wrote about it on my blog: http://wanttogetcrafty.blogspot.com/2011/05/imitation-flattery-t-shirt-scarf.html

Thanks for the great idea.

17. Shona posted on August 1, 2011 at 10:08 am (#)

I LOVE, Love, love this! You really look beautiful in that color! Thanks so much for sharing!

18. Blissful Babe posted on August 1, 2011 at 11:21 am (#)

I am hopelessly smitten with this!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I love your blog!!! FAB-U-LOUS!!

19. Claygirlsings posted on August 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm (#)

I’m SO glad you posted this, because I saw that video tutorial, but then lost the link! I made one out of one of my school’s t-shirts and I followed Kim’s idea of gluing two together. It was sort of cute – too long and gangly – plus I see all the flaws. I’m now motivated to try again and make it shorter. Thanks!

20. Renee posted on August 1, 2011 at 7:52 pm (#)

I just made one of these :) My middle daughter is going to be 11 this month, and she loves to wear scarves with things, I thought this would be something cool for her. I’m going to give it to her when she returns from her trip to Norway on Aug. 14, I can’t wait to see her again!

21. Anna posted on October 12, 2011 at 6:27 am (#)

Great choice of colors. :)

22. kim posted on October 12, 2011 at 10:06 am (#)

Love these scarves and the tubular ones. People have asked me to make some for them. Have you sold any? Wondering what to charge.

23. Sarah posted on October 17, 2011 at 2:07 pm (#)

LOVE THIS!!! What do you do with the part around the neck to secure it? Am I missing a step or do you just keep it as all the “pieces” and tie around the neck?? Such a great idea!

24. Shelly Scott posted on October 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm (#)

I totally saw the same tutorial on DIY Dish and made one of these! I LOVE it. It is so light and fun.

25. Toni posted on October 25, 2011 at 7:43 pm (#)

Super cute!

26. Lily posted on October 27, 2011 at 10:31 am (#)

Oh very cute! I think I want a grey one with a big sparkly pin instead of the flower. Thanks!

27. SueLuan posted on October 29, 2011 at 9:55 pm (#)

Made this scarf tonight! It was super easy and looks fabulous! I made a pink one to wear to Bunco for breast cancer tomorrow! Thanks!

28. Heather posted on November 23, 2011 at 12:35 am (#)

I tried this tonight! Turned out great, I love it! Just wish there was a quicker way to cut, gets so tiring!

29. Kayla posted on November 28, 2011 at 9:41 pm (#)

I thought this would be difficult, but it is so easy! I have already made 4. They will make awesome Christmas gifts for my family & friends! :) Thanks!

30. cassandra posted on December 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm (#)

im sorry how would u cut it into a spiral

31. Barb Johnson posted on December 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm (#)

Love your scarves, but your directions are not very good…you need to be more specific

• TidyMom replied on December 6th, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Not sure how I could be any more specific

It’s very very simple – cut circles, then cut the circles in a spiral…….tie them around your neck

I also have step by step photos and a link to the video where I got the idea from……you can watch it to SEE how to do it

32. Fishy posted on December 6, 2011 at 8:31 pm (#)

THIS IS BRILLIANT!!!! this is going to be my christmas presents to everyone!!! omg. you genius..

33. Arlys posted on December 29, 2011 at 9:48 pm (#)

Love this~! Just made a deep purple one! Saw on Pinterest and couldn’t wait to dig in at the trift store for colorful t-shirts!

34. Arlys posted on December 29, 2011 at 9:49 pm (#)

Love this! Just made one out from a deep purple t-shirt! Will be making more!

35. Denise Wilson posted on January 12, 2012 at 8:37 pm (#)

Just finished mine! LOVE IT! Thanks for the great idea! I will be making more for me, as well as gifts. :)

36. Maggie posted on January 15, 2012 at 8:44 pm (#)

How did you make the cute flower that you have pinned on the scarf?

1. Pingback: Need That Something Green? | ThriveWomen

2. Pingback: Weekend Update « Clapping On The Down Beat

3. Pingback: Easy Crafts | TidyMom

4. Pingback: Fall Fashion Trends | TidyMom

5. Pingback: 10 Pretty Ruffle Scarf Tutorials | The New Home Ec

6. Pingback: 8 simple to make no sew variations of the T-shirt scarf, including links and tutorials « pureandsimplelife

7. Pingback: T-Shirt scarf |

8. Pingback: DIY Scarf – we know, we know… « alicecorrine

9. Pingback: A quick ruffle scarf | gainingMOMentum

10. Pingback: Festive and Frugal Gift Idea - No Sew Scarves | The Budget Diet

11. Pingback: Stacy Sews - Diary of a Fabric Junkie » Blog Archive » Linky Thursday

12. Pingback: diy holiday gifting: 2011 |