DIY/Crafts

How to Make a Scarf

You may know that scarves are the hot accessory trend right now!   And anyone who knows me,  knows I’m a huge scarf lover!  I must own at least 20 scarves and I wear them with almost everything.

So when I saw Kim and Kris of DIY Dish make scarves from t-shirts, I just couldn’t get it out of my mind!

How to make a scarf using a t-shirt! no sewing required at TidyMom.net

How cute is THAT?!  Can you believe I made that scarf  from a t-shirt…..and the best part, no sewing required!!

I bet this took me all of 15 mins to make.

Supplies:

• 1 XL or XXL t-shirt
  • 9″ paper plate
  • Scissors
  • decorative pin/flower (optional)
  1. How to make a scarf using a t-shirt! no sewing required at TidyMom.netlay t-shirt out flat (make sure you can get 8-12 circles)
  2. Use paper plate to trace 8-12 circles on t-shirt (4-6 on each side of the shirt)
  3. cut out circles
  4. cut each fabric circle into a spiral (*see how to do this in the video)
  5. stretch each piece of fabric and lay all pieces together
  6. tie around your neck and place a pretty flower pin to dress it up!

Click here to watch Kim’s video tutorial to see more detail how to make this scarf and 2 others. *Kim suggests gluing 2 pieces together, I did not do that, so I just got a shorter scarf.

I love how light weight this scarf is, I can wear it with a sweater or a t-shirt.

How to make a scarf using a t-shirt! no sewing required at TidyMom.net

I can’t wait to make more!  I’d love to hear if you give this a try!

I'm linking up with these parties.......please visit them!

162 Responses to “How to Make a Scarf”

1. Elecia posted on March 7, 2011 at 6:19 am (#

I love love LOVE this scarf! I went and checked out the diy dish, and I love the other two she makes as well. I think i may owe my husband some new shirts when i am done haha!

2. Judy @ In His Grip posted on March 7, 2011 at 6:48 am (#

This is so clever and great for Spring. I am going to look for a t-shirt right away and make one of my own. Thanks for the inspiration.

3. Debbi Does Dinner Healthy posted on March 7, 2011 at 6:51 am (#

I’m trying to figure the directions out, so each circle is a couple of inches thick? They aren’t actually together so there is like 6 different pieces of fabric around you? Right? I just wanted to make sure, it looks really fun!

• TidyMom replied on March 7th, 2011 at 6:58 am

yes that right!!……..if you watch the video it makes more sense

4. Amanda posted on March 7, 2011 at 7:00 am (#

Look at GORGEOUS YOU!!! Love the scarf… its quite beautiful!! I would never have known its from a Tshirt!!!

5. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen posted on March 7, 2011 at 7:21 am (#

How adorable, and what a great use for old tee shirts that are still in good condition but that you’ve gotten tired of wearing. I’m a scarf fanatic too, maybe because I’m cold all the time, but my family always jokes that no matter what time of year it is you can usually find me with a scarf around my neck!

• TidyMom replied on March 7th, 2011 at 7:23 am

Me too Sylvie, and I never realized how warm they do keep you, until I’m out shopping and start sweating in the stores lol…….then I have to take it off.

6. shelly (cookies and cups) posted on March 7, 2011 at 7:25 am (#

You are the cutest and I want to make one now!! How fun!

7. ClassiclyAmber posted on March 7, 2011 at 7:35 am (#

How cute ‘n sweet ‘n simple!! And it matches your blog, too! Love that!! =-D

• TidyMom replied on March 7th, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I didn’t realize that until I was editing the pictures the other day! lol

8. Theresa posted on March 7, 2011 at 7:52 am (#

Hi! New follower here. :) I love how you made this- so creative! And the fact that no sewing is required… I am sooo gonna try this. Thanks!

(found you through Made by You Monday)

9. bridget {bake at 350} posted on March 7, 2011 at 7:53 am (#

You are SO CUTE!!! I love that you love scarves! And when you come to Texas, you’ll have to show me all the different ways to tie them! I am a scarf dummy! ;)

LOVE these pictures of you! ?

• bridget {bake at 350} replied on March 7th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Hey, that ? was supposed to be a HEART symbol! Are my hearts not working?!?!? Waa!

10. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies posted on March 7, 2011 at 8:11 am (#

That is really really adorable! So are you!

11. Karly posted on March 7, 2011 at 8:33 am (#

That is so stinkin’ cute! That might just be my daughter’s art project for the week! :)

12. Paula posted on March 7, 2011 at 8:36 am (#

Turning another year older certainly agrees with you Cheryl. You look fabulous! This T-scarf is the neatest little thing and your two crafty buttons you’ve shown with it go so well. Thanks for the tutorial.

13. Cookbook Queen posted on March 7, 2011 at 8:50 am (#

LOVE THIS!! And you picked out such a gorgeous color…it really makes your outfits pop!!

14. Laura posted on March 7, 2011 at 8:51 am (#

Yours turned out REALLY CUTE! I still need to make me one.

15. Sarah posted on March 7, 2011 at 8:53 am (#

I love this idea! Thanks for sending the link via StumbleUpon.

16. SweetSugarBelle posted on March 7, 2011 at 9:00 am (#

I am waiting for this one =) I like it…I think my mom will like it too…not that she needs anymore scarves, but she’ll like it!!!

17. Maria posted on March 7, 2011 at 9:04 am (#

I love this tutorial! I am not crafty, but maybe I can make a scarf:) Thanks for sharing!

• TidyMom replied on March 7th, 2011 at 5:21 pm

that’s what’s so great about this!!! even the un-crafty can do it! lol

18. teresa posted on March 7, 2011 at 10:58 am (#

How TOTALLY CUTE are YOU!
    Love that orange scarf with the grey sweater!
    What a HAPPY SMILE you have!
    LOVE it!
    This scarf is adorable!
    You ROCK Sweet Girl!
    Did your girls make one to?
    I know you girls have so much fun TOGETHER!!!!!!!!
    And I know they think they have the COOLEST~hippest MOM ever!
    xo

19. sally posted on March 7, 2011 at 11:09 am (#

Oh, those bright colors together! I love turquoise. Gorgeous scarf. :)

20. sally posted on March 7, 2011 at 11:09 am (#

Sorry, posting error. Trying again. :)

21. naomi posted on March 7, 2011 at 11:21 am (#

Too darn cute! I love how easy it is as well-no sewing machine is always good with me!

22. heidi posted on March 7, 2011 at 11:31 am (#

You look darling wearing your scarf. Great job and i will have to try it.

23. Barbara posted on March 7, 2011 at 11:39 am (#

Do you take requests? LOL

24. Emily@SoDomesticated posted on March 7, 2011 at 11:51 am (#

How cute… and it looks very simple to make!

25. Susan Crane posted on March 7, 2011 at 11:58 am (#

I have a gazillion old tshirts, can’t wait to try this. My oldest daughter lives in scarves and I can’t wait to make her one. Thanks.

26. cccris posted on March 7, 2011 at 12:16 pm (#

wonderful idea!

27. jen @ tatertots and jello posted on March 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm (#

That is just adorable Cheryl!! I love the color and the pin. So cute!!

I hope you had a wonderful birthday weekend!!!

xoxox
    Jen

28. Christine Staiduhar posted on March 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm (#

I ? this idea!!!!!

29. Kim Williams posted on March 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm (#

I started making one yesterday after seeing it on another blog (not DIYDish). But I haven’t gotten to the flower part. I made a black one, but now seeing your orange one, I am so jealous! I’m glad a got a sale on tee shirts at AC Moore on Saturday… Thanks Cheryl. I love this blog so much. Keep up the good work.

30. MarytheKay posted on March 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm (#

I really REALLY love this idea!!! I love it so much I am going to try to run out and get some fun colored t-shirts today–so that my friend and I can each make a scarf tonight as we’re watching The Bachelor. Doesn’t that sound FUN? :-)

Also–I just really LIKE the look of your blog! Every time I hop over here, it makes me want to change my blog design to a white background, with cheery colors, like your aqua blue and orange-red. The look of your blog is just CHEERFUL. LOVE.

31. bianca posted on March 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm (#

This is adorable! I love the bright color – it’s definitely a welcome to Spring! I’m totally gonna try this soon, thanks for sharing & inspiring : )

32. Lisa@Pickles and Cheese posted on March 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm (#

Thanks so much for this. I just love it! Picked up a couple of gray Men’s Tshirts from the Salavation Army today and they are in the washing machine as we speak. I’ll be making one tonight! Thanks!

33. Mandy posted on March 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm (#

fabulous idea …. you got me at the “no sewing” required bit! M

34. Cha Cha posted on March 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm (#

So cute, I am not a huge fan of scarves, but I think you may have won me over with this one. It is th perfect mix if whimsy and chic. Thanks for showing us how to make it.

Cha Cha

35. Amanda posted on March 7, 2011 at 8:22 pm (#

So pretty Cheryl, I love it!

36. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted on March 7, 2011 at 10:00 pm (#

Fun, fun, FUN! My daughter would want to raid her dad’s t-shirt drawer, should she see your post!! Yours is lovely!

37. Donene Jones posted on March 8, 2011 at 8:50 am (#

I saw these and thought they were so adorable! Your version is super cute, I really will have to try these.

38. beckie posted on March 8, 2011 at 8:52 am (#

Ok I love orange! But you look stinking adorable Cheryl. So beautiful you are!

39. Jess posted on March 8, 2011 at 10:55 am (#

I love it – the color is stunning!! I had a similar reaction when I saw it on DIY Dish – I had to make one!

40. Tracy posted on March 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm (#

Super cute; I love it!!

41. Lisa Brown posted on March 8, 2011 at 3:40 pm (#

LOVE it! Thanks for the tutorial!

42. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction posted on March 8, 2011 at 4:02 pm (#

I wear scarves a lot, too! I need to give this a try. Love it!

43. Robin~All Things Heart and Home posted on March 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm (#

That is so adorable! I’ve never seen that technique! And Cheryl your photos are amazing.
    xo
    Robin
    (I’m stumbling this :)

44. sue posted on March 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm (#

Gorgeous scarf; love the colour combination or orange & blue!

Sue @ Beach Bungalow
    xo

45. Kristen posted on March 8, 2011 at 7:23 pm (#

I can’t believe how simple this is. Love this scarf!

46. Claire @ Claire K Creations posted on March 8, 2011 at 7:48 pm (#

So simple! I wish I’d read this before I went to the shops. Next time I’ll be picking up an XXL shirt!

47. this blessed nest posted on March 8, 2011 at 8:20 pm (#

you look stickin’ adorable sporting that super cute scarf!

how fun is this. man, you could do this in ANY color…my mind is thinking about all the possibilities!

thanks for linking up to the SPRING FLING!

xo
    kellie

48. SouthernScraps posted on March 9, 2011 at 5:35 am (#

Those are on my to do list. I love how your’s turned out. Great job!

49. Megan posted on March 9, 2011 at 8:17 am (#

That turned out adorable!:)

50. Brandy posted on March 9, 2011 at 8:42 am (#

I’m new to your blog (came from All Things Heart and Home) and love it! This is FANTASTIC!! Thanks for the awesome tutorial and inspiration.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Need That Something Green? | ThriveWomen

2. Pingback: Weekend Update « Clapping On The Down Beat

3. Pingback: Easy Crafts | TidyMom

4. Pingback: Fall Fashion Trends | TidyMom

5. Pingback: 10 Pretty Ruffle Scarf Tutorials | The New Home Ec

6. Pingback: 8 simple to make no sew variations of the T-shirt scarf, including links and tutorials « pureandsimplelife

7. Pingback: T-Shirt scarf |

8. Pingback: DIY Scarf – we know, we know… « alicecorrine

9. Pingback: A quick ruffle scarf | gainingMOMentum

10. Pingback: Festive and Frugal Gift Idea - No Sew Scarves | The Budget Diet

11. Pingback: Stacy Sews - Diary of a Fabric Junkie » Blog Archive » Linky Thursday

12. Pingback: diy holiday gifting: 2011 |

13. Pingback: The Good Life Blog | Tutorial: T-shirt Scarf

14. Pingback: Piquing My Pinterest / Sunday Session | lookfindinspire

15. Pingback: Uses for Old T-Shirts | a project at a time

16. Pingback: Don’t Just Wear A Shirt, Use It As Accessory! | Rock Bottom T-Shirts Blog

17. Pingback: DIY No-Sew Ruffle Scarf « Inspire & Indulge

18. Pingback: DIY Scarves- Create and Share

19. Pingback: AliLily – Gorgeous DIY Scarves Round Up and Link Party

20. Pingback: T-shirt Scarf | Giving Homemade

21. Pingback: » Clever Thinking Stilettos or Pajamas

22. Pingback: The 99% Christmas | | Jen on the EdgeJen on the Edge

23. Pingback: Top 20 Easy Holiday Gifts to Make this Season | Laura Polk — All Southern. No Belle.

24. Pingback: Great Ideas -- Spring {1}

25. Pingback: Blog Link Party with T Shirt Refashions

26. Pingback: Christmas is almost here – Homemade Christmas Gifts «

27. Pingback: Christmas is almost here – Handmade Christmas Gifts «

28. Pingback: 40 Ways to Wear a Scarf? | a beautiful captivation

29. Pingback: t-shirt scarf

30. Pingback: Unwrapping the Gift of Monday | a beautiful captivation

31. Pingback: Top 10 DIY Scarfs

32. Pingback: Top 10 Best DIY Scarfs - Top Inspired

33. Pingback: 20 Inexpensive Homemade Gift Ideas | The Thrifty Frugal Mom

34. Pingback: October 19, 2013 ‘Dirt & Hurt are Not Words for Me’ | DaughtersoftheLivingWord

35. Pingback: 10 Different Homemade Shirt Scarf Tutorials - Thifty Sue