DIY/Crafts

Monogram Stenciled Canvas Bag

Today I thought I’d share the easy details on how I made this adorable monogram stenciled canvas bag using a paper doily.

Learn how to stencil a personalized monogram canvas bag at TidyMom.net

I originally saw this fabulous bag over on ashleyannphotography before I got my Silhouette machine.  I quickly bookmarked her fabulous tutorial and picked up my supplies.

Learn how to stencil a personalized monogram canvas bag at TidyMom.net

How to Make Monogram Stenciled Canvas Bag

Supplies:

Canvas tote bag  (I chose white, but you could use the natural as well)

Soft Fabric Paint (I used black, but again, you could use any color)

Large Paper Doily (I used the 12″ size)

Adhesive Spray

sponge brush for paint (not pictured)

Directions:

• Spray one side of doily with spray adhesive (trust me, you don’t want to skip this step) then place doily on one corner of bag
  • Use fabric paint to paint over holes in doily
  • Carefully remove doily before paint dries
  • Monogram

Learn how to stencil a personalized monogram canvas bag at TidyMom.net
There are a few different way’s you can monogram your bag

1. I used my Silhouette and Freezer paper to cut a “C” stencil,  ironed the freezer paper stencil onto the bag, and painted.
  2. you can draw/trace a letter on, and paint by hand, like Ashley did
  3. Don’t have a die cut machine? to nervous to paint by hand?…..instructions for making a stencil with freezer paper here.

Learn how to stencil a personalized monogram canvas bag at TidyMom.net

So there you go~

Learn how to stencil a personalized monogram canvas bag at TidyMom.net

Super easy and Super cute huh?!  Again, I want to thank Ashley for this wonderful idea…..just think of what all you can do with these cute bags!

With the holidays quickly approaching, you can easily make these up ahead of time, and while your out shopping, pick up goodies to fill them, for neighbors, teachers, bus drivers, brides maids, girl friends……the possibilities are limitless!

Craving more? Sign up for the TidyMom newsletter to stay on top of what’s new right to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest for all of the latest updates

69 Responses to “Monogram Stenciled Canvas Bag”

1. CozyCoops Corner posted on November 22, 2008 at 12:29 pm (#

I love it ! You did a wonderful job !
    How neat to have all those pieces that your dad made. :-)Have a great weekend !
    Janae

2. everyday mom posted on November 22, 2008 at 12:45 pm (#

I totally agree with my SIL I love it. I am sad that when I moved from Australia I had to leave behind a lot of family heirloom furniture pieces, maybe if we move back one day I can reclaim them.

It is so special to have those pieces.

3. Dominika posted on November 22, 2008 at 12:56 pm (#

That looks fantastic! Love the bed too, beautiful :o)

4. Cindy B posted on November 22, 2008 at 2:35 pm (#

How fortunate it is to have some keepsake pieces lovingly made by your dad…Man..was he good at woodcrafts or what!! You follow in his steps i think…the night stand turned out so much like the finish on the bed..great job!

5. anenchantedcottage posted on November 22, 2008 at 3:13 pm (#

Cheryl, what a sweet post! Your dad was very talented! What a beautiful lingerie chest, and how special that you have so many pieces of furniture made by him. Yes, I think he would be/is very proud of you with your nightstand transformation – it looks like it’s a matching set! And thanks for visiting my Christmas card repurposing post. I’m glad you enjoyed it!…Donna

6. Emily posted on November 22, 2008 at 5:19 pm (#

Love it! You did a great job and he would definitely be proud. I love the lingerie chest he made you also.

your daughter’s room looks fabulous!

Emily@remodelingthislife

7. Joy posted on November 23, 2008 at 2:24 am (#

Look at you, your first piece of painted furniture and you’re already a pro at it!!!!
    It looks beautiful!

8. Farmhouse Primitives posted on November 23, 2008 at 2:14 pm (#

Cheryl,
    I LOVE THAT!! and the lingerie chest is just wonderful. I liked how your dad did the stained base with the painted chest…..Sunshine will be proud of her new pc. of furniture and it holds memories for her now of “you and her”. You guys did a fantastic job!
    Pammie

9. Farmhouse Primitives posted on November 23, 2008 at 2:59 pm (#

I’ve TAGGED you Cheryl!! Come over and pick it up to pass on.

10. Liz posted on November 24, 2008 at 11:06 am (#

Fabulous!

11. Kay posted on November 24, 2008 at 7:56 pm (#

Cheryl that is awesome!!! It looks like it matches perfect and the price makes it even better! I wish I was as talented. :)

12. Saucy posted on November 25, 2008 at 2:46 am (#

You girls did an awesome job of overhauling that little nightstand… it is perfect now, just perfection.

13. Amy from Texas posted on November 25, 2008 at 10:03 am (#

Great job! I tried that once… didn’t turn out near as nice! ha.

14. Sarah @ ThriftyDecorChick posted on November 25, 2008 at 5:54 pm (#

That really turned out beautiful and the dresser your dad made is beautiful too! Your dad would love what you did with the nightstand!!

15. Jen r. posted on December 1, 2008 at 10:58 am (#

It looks great!

16. Sarah @ ThriftyDecorChick posted on December 1, 2008 at 11:20 am (#

Thanks for joining the party. :) You know I love this…

17. Cherry's Jubilee posted on December 3, 2008 at 1:57 am (#

Hi there..so glad I came across your blog from Sarahs! Great redo…I love a before and after. Love the piece your Father built..very special. cherry

18. Angie posted on December 6, 2008 at 1:39 am (#

Love both pieces! They have just the kind of distressed look I like!

19. the pleasures of homemaking posted on June 1, 2009 at 3:01 pm (#

It turned out really good!

Manuela

20. Elizabeth (blue clear sky) posted on June 1, 2009 at 7:25 pm (#

Great makeover! How lucky you are to have all that great furniture made with love by your dad! Keepsakes for sure and heirlooms for the kids.

21. Jane posted on June 1, 2009 at 8:49 pm (#

From trash to family treasure! That is a special chest now!

22. Dawn posted on June 1, 2009 at 8:50 pm (#

Wow! Wow! Wow!!!! That lingerie cabinet is GORGEOUS!!!

23. Marie posted on June 1, 2009 at 9:16 pm (#

I love that piece your Dad made for you – how special and cherished it is. Your make-over of the little side table is great!
    Blessings,
    Marie

24. Anna See posted on June 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm (#

Great job! I’m sure he would be proud.

25. Jenny posted on June 7, 2009 at 8:01 pm (#

What a beautiful piece that your Dad made. My great grandfather also built furniture.

Great job on the nightstand redo. It looks perfect!

26. Jody posted on August 16, 2010 at 11:44 am (#

Very cute bag! I think they may be on my Christmas gift giving list!

27. Heather - Dollar Store Crafts posted on August 17, 2010 at 12:46 am (#

That’s super cute. LOVE it!! I’m gonna link up to it this week at DSC. Thanks for sharing, friend!

28. Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates posted on August 19, 2010 at 7:52 pm (#

I love that bag – it turned out so cute! Glad I stopped by! That will make the perfect teacher gift! Thanks!

29. Anne posted on August 23, 2010 at 9:41 am (#

Awesome monogram!!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

• TidyMom replied on August 23rd, 2010 at 12:30 pm

awwwe, Thanks so much Anne!

30. Bronwyn posted on August 25, 2010 at 5:58 am (#

Absolutely beautiful. So effective!

31. Mary Ely posted on August 25, 2010 at 9:14 pm (#

What a great idea! I definitely want to try this.

This might be a silly question, but does the doily really come off easily after having been adhered with the adhesive spray?

• TidyMom replied on August 26th, 2010 at 6:34 am

yes, the adhesive spray does not make it stick super good to the
      canvas……..so yes it comes off very easy

32. physical therapist posted on August 27, 2010 at 6:57 pm (#

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

33. QuiltStory posted on August 31, 2010 at 8:05 am (#

LOVE this! Turned out way cute, thanks for the tute! So glad you to have found your blog, really sweet.

We’d love if you came and linked your project up to our fabric linky party today!

34. hummingbird posted on September 3, 2010 at 11:34 am (#

How large did you make your letter stencils?

And this project is fantastic~thanks so much!

35. Tate posted on September 16, 2010 at 1:38 am (#

Hey, this is a great idea! I loved!
    Link you at my page, but it is in portuguese…
    So, just for you know, your page is awso!
    Sorry for my bad english, xoxo Tate

36. Melissa posted on November 4, 2010 at 12:52 pm (#

Thanks for sharing this, now my daughter has a gift for her Auntie this Christmas.

37. Missie posted on November 6, 2010 at 5:21 am (#

This is such a wonderful Christmas present idea! I found you via Sew Mama Sew. Thanks for the great tutorial!

38. Amy Kirchhoff posted on November 8, 2010 at 8:45 pm (#

What a fabulous & unique idea! I included this in my “Non-sewing Handmade Gift Ideas” list: http://www.amytriedit.com/2010/11/non-sewing-handmade-gift-ideas.html.

39. Amnah posted on January 3, 2011 at 3:59 pm (#

Very cute. I’ve had that project bookmarked forever. Hopefully this will be the year I actually get to it.

40. Jazmin posted on February 13, 2011 at 7:05 pm (#

Just made 2 of the totes! One for my mom and one for my daughter. I used my Cricut to cut cardstock paper for the letter stencil and adhesive spray instead of freezer paper (since I didnt have any) and it WORKED! Thanks so much for the tutorial. Now I have really cute personalized valentines gifts.

41. Sunni posted on May 5, 2011 at 11:34 am (#

I posted a link to this on my blog. I just love this idea. Thanks!

42. Shona posted on August 1, 2011 at 10:04 am (#

Awesome idea for a cute tote bag! Thanks for sharing! I thought about you yesterday – we went to St. Louis to go to the Cardinals game…..only to find out that the game had been moved to later in the p.m. But we still made a day of it and went to the arch and to Sam’s.

43. Pati @ A Crafty Escape posted on August 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm (#

I might have to make one of these for MYSELF. Hahaha love it!

1. Pingback: Make a Doily Monogrammed Tote Bag | Dollar Store Crafts

2. Pingback: Tutorial: No-sew monogram using spraypaint and a doily · Sewing @ CraftGossip

3. Pingback: Priceless Writers

14. Pingback: ilovetocreate

15. Pingback: Mothers day | The Given Thought

16. Pingback: Homemade Gift Idea | TidyMom

17. Pingback: Crafternoon « Handmade by Mikaiya

18. Pingback: Easy Crafts | TidyMom

19. Pingback: Monogrammed canvases | Bestpriceantiq

20. Pingback: DIY Teacher Appreciation Gift: Photo Flower Pens | Family Your Way

21. Pingback: End-of-Year Teacher Gift Ideas