Holiday

Christmas Tree Peppermint Bark

Holiday baking season is in full swing!  I’ve made peppermint bark a few times in the past, and it’s always a huge hit!  It’s ridiculously easy to make yet an indulgent luxurious looking treat that’s great for gifting!

This time I decided to try something a little different rather than just breaking up piece of the bark…..I used cookie cutters! and made Christmas Tree Peppermint Bark

Christmas tree Peppermint bark

How to make Christmas Tree Peppermint Bark with Cookie Cutters

What You Need………

You can use many different variations on this, but here are  the basics:

• Cookie Cutters – Any cookie cutters will work.  The smaller metal ones work nice because you can clean them up and gift them along with the bark. (snowflakes, stars and gingerbread men would all be cute too)
  • Decorator Bag – I melted the chocolate right in the 12″ disposable decorator bag, then squeezed the chocolate into all the nooks and crannies of my cookie cutter.  You can find pastry bags at the craft stores, Amazon or Sweet Baking Supply.
  • Chocolate – For this project I used the Wilton Candy Cane Color Burst Melts and Ghirardelli Chocolate Baking Bar .  But you can use any kind of chocolate you like.  I like the Wilton Candy Cane Color Burst Melts because they’re already peppermint flavored, so no need to add peppermint oil. Again most of these can be purchased at the craft stores, Wal-Mart, Amazon or Sweet Baking Supply.
  • Crushed Candy Cane – you can buy a package of candy canes and crush them, or I found a bag of crushed candy cane pieces in the baking aisle of my grocery store.
  • Parchment or Waxed paper lined sheet pan
  • Clear Plastic Bags , Ribbon and tags– Clear cellophane bags, ribbon and a cute tag turn your peppermint bark into the perfect holiday gift!

Instructions for making Christmas Tree Peppermint Bark… (printable instructions)

• Place the cookie cutters in refrigerator until ready to fill.
  • Line your baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper.
  • Place Ghirardelli Chocolate pieces in decorator bag (filling about 1/2 way), twist top of bag, place in microwave on 50% power for 30 seconds.  Remove bag and “knead” chocolate.  Place bag back in microwave and repeat until chocolate is melted.
  • Remove cookie cutters from refrigerator and place on lined baking sheet.
  • Snip the tip off the end of the decorator bag
  • Use the chocolate filled bag to pipe the chocolate into the cookie cutters (*you may need to hold onto the cookie cutter while you do this).  Be sure to get into all of the corners.
  • Place pan of chocolate filled cookie cutters into freezer for about 10 mins. for chocolate to “set”.
  • Place Wilton Candy Cane Burst Melts into decorator bag, and repeat as you did for chocolate.
  • Remove pan from freezer, snip the tip of the decorator bag and pipe the Candy Cane Burst Melts on top of the Ghirardelli chocolate.
  • Sprinkle with Crushed Candy Cane pieces.
  • Place in freezer for about 10 mins. to set.
  • Once the chocolate has hardened, remove from the cookie cutters by gently pressing with your thumbs.
  • Wrap a few pieces of bark in a clear cellophane bag  tie with ribbon, attach clean cookie cutter and a cute tag!
  • If you’re using a decorative box or tin, put a piece of wax paper in that covers the bottom and sticks over the sides. Once you’ve filled the container, flip the wax paper over the top and cover. If you’re using a plate, or cute dish, like I found at Michaels, arrange the bark and cover with plastic wrap.
  • Will keep in fridge for 5-6 weeks.

*if you can’t find the Wilton Candy Cane Burst melts, you can follow my other recipe for Peppermint Bark using peppermint oil.

Wilton has a great video if you would like more “visual help” making these.

Amy of Living Locurto has some adorable Cardinal Holiday Printable Gift Pack in her shop. Or you can download the Season’s Greeting Bag Topper for FREE at Living Locurto

@TidyMom or scan my HR code with your camera

@TidyMom or scan my QR code with your camera

Yum

86 Responses to “Christmas Tree Peppermint Bark”

1. Amy | She Wears Many Hats posted on December 8, 2010 at 10:15 am (#)

These are darling! Want some!

2. Estela @ Weekly Bite posted on December 8, 2010 at 10:37 am (#)

These are super cute! I love them :)

3. Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} posted on December 8, 2010 at 10:46 am (#)

Super cute! I made chocolate gingerbread men over the weekend :) will have to make more, they are already gone….they must have run away!

4. Jamie @ Happy House, Happy Home posted on December 8, 2010 at 10:54 am (#)

Oh my gosh I LOVE this! Peppermint Bark is my faaaaavorite, and my husband just mentioned the other day that I should pick up some the next time I’m at Costco, but this is soooo much more fun! Especially with the cookie cutters! Thanks for the fabulous idea & tutorial… you’re awesome!!

5. Krystle posted on December 8, 2010 at 11:13 am (#)

Adorable! love the idea of using cookie cutters for these :)

6. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles posted on December 8, 2010 at 11:13 am (#)

LOVE the use of the cutters! So much fun!

7. Shaina posted on December 8, 2010 at 11:43 am (#)

I love that you made them Christmas trees.

8. Lisa Brown posted on December 8, 2010 at 11:51 am (#)

These are adorable and can you say, “yum” ? :)

9. teresa posted on December 8, 2010 at 11:54 am (#)

Okay!
    I just passed out!
    I honestly think I hurt myself…no kidding!
    This is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen!
    How on EARTH did you think to do this!
    OMG!
    And your pics…are lovely!
    I know I’ve said it before…but I will say it again!
    Girl…YOU HAVE GOT IT GOING ON OVER HERE!
    I’m amazed!
    xo

10. Diana @ The Girl Creative posted on December 8, 2010 at 12:16 pm (#)

I’m doing this too. :) I wonder if I can use just a regular zip lock bag though instead?? I’m going to make mine with crushed M&M’s since it’s what I have on hand. :)

11. Robyn | Add a Pinch posted on December 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm (#)

Such a cute idea with the cutters!!!

12. Rhondi posted on December 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm (#)

These are so cute! I can’t wait to make some for our neighbors.

13. Julie {Angry Julie Monday} posted on December 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm (#)

Those look delicious and I love the tree shapes.

14. bridget {bake at 350} posted on December 8, 2010 at 1:46 pm (#)

This is SO clever, Cheryl!!! I want some Christmas Tree Bark! No seriously, you have my address! :)

15. Jenny posted on December 8, 2010 at 5:56 pm (#)

These are so pretty!

16. Jamie | My Baking Addiction posted on December 8, 2010 at 6:15 pm (#)

Cheryl-
    So pretty! I used snowflake cookie cutters this year for my bark! I love how festive these look!

17. Paula posted on December 8, 2010 at 7:19 pm (#)

Cheryl this is a wonderful idea and so much more pleasing to the eye than chunks of broken bark. Bagged and tied with a bow is a great little item to include on top of a Christmas gift.

18. Wenderly posted on December 8, 2010 at 7:43 pm (#)

So loving the cookie cutter idea! Think I may call you…. “Clever Mom” in addition to Tidy Mom! :)

19. jodi posted on December 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm (#)

How clever! Great idea!

20. Kami posted on December 8, 2010 at 11:59 pm (#)

Those look so good, Cheryl!

What fonts are you using in that top image? They are darling!

21. Kristen posted on December 9, 2010 at 10:22 am (#)

Those are the cutest little things, ever. So festive!

22. christine *sumthinsnazzi* posted on December 9, 2010 at 11:26 am (#)

What a great idea… to put them into cookie cutters! This is an idea I might have to try. My daughter would absolutely LOVE doing this with me! Thanks! ?

23. Pink Martinis and Pearls posted on December 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm (#)

Wow! Great idea! I think I’ll use stars because I have tons of those cutters but I really like the trees. Have a terrific day. :)

24. naomi posted on December 9, 2010 at 1:58 pm (#)

So darn cute and they would make such great gifts.

25. Amy posted on December 9, 2010 at 3:05 pm (#)

Oh my! These look amazing! Not surprised though!! You are amazing!

26. Alina posted on December 9, 2010 at 3:48 pm (#)

Awww how pretty :) I wish I had more time to bake Christmas gifts, but that’s quite complicated with a 2-month old :) Beautiful pictures, they really caught my eye on Foodgawker!

1. Pingback: Tidymom

2. Pingback: Amanda

3. Pingback: kellie

4. Pingback: The Sugar Tree

5. Pingback: Amber

6. Pingback: Brenda Score

7. Pingback: Lisa Brown

8. Pingback: Mique Provost

9. Pingback: Sammy Russo R.

10. Pingback: jennifer hadfield