follow TidyMom on Pinterest

Fabric Covered Switch-plate Tutorial

You may remember last week I showed you how I made some easy fabric covered wall artfor my bathroom.

After I hung them, I decided to make a fabric covered switch-plate match!

How to make a Fabric Covered Switch Plate cover tutorial at TidyMom.net

How to make a fabric covered switch plate

It’s super easy, but I took a few pictures along the way to show you!

Fabric Covered Switch plate

Supplies:

How to make a Fabric Covered Switch Plate cover tutorial at TidyMom.net

1. Start with your average outdated switch plate cover.
2. Cut fabric just a little bigger than your switch plate.
3. Cover the switch plate with Mod Podge.
4. Lay your piece of fabric on top of the Mod Podge, and press down all surfaces. Be sure to smooth out any creases or bubbles.

How to make a Fabric Covered Switch Plate cover tutorial at TidyMom.net

5. After the fabric and Mod Podge sit and dry a bit, trim the excess fabric around the edge of the switchplate.
6. Use an X-acto knife to cut out the slots where your switch thingies will go(I left one side attached- see next step)! – you can also use the X-acto knife to punch a whole where the screw holes are.

7. Flip switchplate over and use a little Mod Podge to glue down the pieces you cut for the opening.

8. Turn the switchplate back over and cover with 2 coats of Mod Podge.

Hang your beautiful new switchplate!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’m Grilling Pizza’s today over at Living Locurto!! come check it out
~ I’m linking this up to the following parties ~

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

Photobucket

If you’re new to TidyMom, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed or Email. I would also love to connect with you on Facebook and Twitter! Thanks for visiting!
About TidyMom

Comments

1. 1
    Vivobello says:

LOVE it! do you think it would work with a vinyl or thin pleather?

2. 2
    Vivobello says:

LOVE it! do you think it would work with a vinyl or thin pleather?

3. 3
    vanillabeanbaker says:

I loved your fabric *picture* idea and now the switch plates! I have extra fabric from a queen size quilt and wall hanging I made for our bedroom. Just may do the switch plates now, thanks Cheryl.

4. 4
    vanillabeanbaker says:

5. 5
    Lara Harris says:

Looks great! :)

6. 6
    Lara Harris says:

Looks great! :)

7. 7
    Amy @ Living Locurto says:

Great idea Cheryl! Those turned out really pretty.

8. 8
    Amy @ Living Locurto says:

Great idea Cheryl! Those turned out really pretty.

9. 9
    Chrissy @ Home.Kids.Life. says:

So pretty! I'm especially fond of the fabric! I just recovered a lamp in that exact pattern. Thanks for the how-to!

10. 10
    Chrissy @ Home.Kids.Life. says:

11. 11

Great Idea! I could make one for my sewingroom as I am in the middle of a spruce up. Thanks for sharing.

12. 12

13. 13

It is very cute!!

14. 14

It is very cute!!

15. 15
    Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} says:

Super cute!! Great tutorial.

16. 16
    Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} says:

Super cute!! Great tutorial.

17. 17

Those pizzas look so yummy! For some reason I'm hungry right now, but I shouldn't be!

18. 18

19. 19
    Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique says:

Gorgeous love the fabric and the end result!
    Thanks for the tutorial!

20. 20
    Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique says:

Gorgeous love the fabric and the end result!
    Thanks for the tutorial!

21. 21

Oh goodness – love, love, love it! Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

22. 22

Oh goodness – love, love, love it! Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

23. 23
    Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

This is a great idea! I never thought of using fabric to jazz up my switchplates!

24. 24
    Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

25. 25
    NorCalMom says:

What a great idea. I look forward to reading you posts and get inspired to try new things. This I think I can do.

I have a "Sweet Blog" award for you. Stop by when you get a chance.

26. 26
    NorCalMom says:

I have a "Sweet Blog" award for you. Stop by when you get a chance.

27. 27
    Shelley says:

So Cute! I love it. Why didn't I think of that!? ;)

28. 28
    Shelley says:

So Cute! I love it. Why didn't I think of that!? ;)

29. 29
    Pink and Polka Dot says:

That is adorable! I can't stand how cute it is! Thanks!

30. 30
    Pink and Polka Dot says:

That is adorable! I can't stand how cute it is! Thanks!

31. 31
    bridget {bake at 350} says:

I would NEVER have thought to do this! What a great idea!!!

32. 32
    bridget {bake at 350} says:

I would NEVER have thought to do this! What a great idea!!!

33. 33
    Tina @ www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com says:

I love this idea. I would have never thought of it. Thanks for sharing.

34. 34
    Tina @ www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com says:

I love this idea. I would have never thought of it. Thanks for sharing.

35. 35

How am I just NOW finding your blog. Sometimes my ignorance surprises even ME. Is this the switch plate that matches the rest of the items your (and I together in Facebook-land) bought at Kohls? Is there a picture of the bathroom complete? I need to search.

36. 36

37. 37
    Andi's English Attic says:

This is such an inspired idea. Thanks for showing us how. xx

38. 38
    Andi's English Attic says:

This is such an inspired idea. Thanks for showing us how. xx

39. 39
    Melissa says:

great idea! And those pizzas look so yummy! I just love your blog! Sending you the sunshine blog award. Pop over to http://www.lissyinitaly.blogspot.com if you are interested.
    Melissa

40. 40
    Melissa says:

Melissa

41. 41
    Bethany says:

Love this idea. I was looking for a project like this to give a little kick to my boring places… Now I have the perfect excuse to buy some new fabric! Thank you!!

42. 42
    Bethany says:

43. 43
    Mod Podge Amy says:

Of course I love this one!

44. 44
    Mod Podge Amy says:

Of course I love this one!

45. 45

So cute!! Maybe we will try them, too!

46. 46

Wow, i need to do that! All my switchplates are so old and ugly, but i never thought of this! Thanks so much for sharing!

47. 47

Great way to add a little something to a room.

48. 48

Cute.

49. 49

Be careful ladies!

Modge Podge and Fabric? On an electrical switchplate? Fire hazard!!!

• 50

I just spoke to Amy, from Mod Podge Rocks and here’s what she had to say:

It’s absolutely not a fire hazard. If you are just wrapping the front of the switch plates, it’s not coming into contact with any wires. Plus Mod Podge is non flammable. PLUS if switch plates were that hot they wouldn’t be made of plastic. Mod Podge should never come in direct contact w flame b/c it will melt, but it will not catch on fire.

50. 51

I love this! The switch plates in my kitchen are so ugly and we were going to buy new ones, but now I’ll just cover them in fabric! Also, I absolutely love your wall paint color? We’ve probably spent $50 on paint samples in the last week trying to find the perfect tan! What color did you use??

Trackbacks

1. [...] και ο διακόπτης με ένα καταπληκτικό δίχρωμο ύφασμα: tidymom.net aneraida.blogspot.com Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

2. [...] You can find the tutorial here. [...]

3. [...] turned out really great.  I’d originally seen a variation of this idea on Pinterest (see here) and had been contemplating giving it a go in my daughter’s room. And I’m so glad that [...]

4. [...] This is a canvas frame that I bought at Hobby Lobby. I took the canvas out and painted this pattern onto it. I was inspired by a Pinterest post of a fabric-covered switch plate. Here’s the link to the blog that was featured on the pin: http://tidymom.net/2010/fabric-covered-switch-plate-tutorial/ [...]

I’d love to hear from you, leave a comment