DIY/Crafts

Fabric Covered Switch-plate Tutorial

You may remember last week I showed you how I made some easy fabric covered wall artfor my bathroom.

After I hung them, I decided to make a fabric covered switch-plate match!

How to make a Fabric Covered Switch Plate cover tutorial at TidyMom.net

How to make a fabric covered switch plate

It’s super easy, but I took a few pictures along the way to show you!

Fabric Covered Switch plate

Supplies:

How to make a Fabric Covered Switch Plate cover tutorial at TidyMom.net

1. Start with your average outdated switch plate cover.
2. Cut fabric just a little bigger than your switch plate.
3. Cover the switch plate with Mod Podge.
4. Lay your piece of fabric on top of the Mod Podge, and press down all surfaces. Be sure to smooth out any creases or bubbles.

How to make a Fabric Covered Switch Plate cover tutorial at TidyMom.net

5. After the fabric and Mod Podge sit and dry a bit, trim the excess fabric around the edge of the switchplate.
6. Use an X-acto knife to cut out the slots where your switch thingies will go(I left one side attached- see next step)! – you can also use the X-acto knife to punch a whole where the screw holes are.

7. Flip switchplate over and use a little Mod Podge to glue down the pieces you cut for the opening.

8. Turn the switchplate back over and cover with 2 coats of Mod Podge.

Hang your beautiful new switchplate!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’m Grilling Pizza’s today over at Living Locurto!! come check it out
~ I’m linking this up to the following parties ~

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

Photobucket

71 Responses to “Fabric Covered Switch-plate Tutorial”

1. Vivobello posted on May 11, 2010 at 12:27 pm (#

LOVE it! do you think it would work with a vinyl or thin pleather?

2. Vivobello posted on May 11, 2010 at 12:27 pm (#

LOVE it! do you think it would work with a vinyl or thin pleather?

3. vanillabeanbaker posted on May 11, 2010 at 1:09 pm (#

I loved your fabric *picture* idea and now the switch plates! I have extra fabric from a queen size quilt and wall hanging I made for our bedroom. Just may do the switch plates now, thanks Cheryl.

4. vanillabeanbaker posted on May 11, 2010 at 1:09 pm (#

5. Lara Harris posted on May 11, 2010 at 1:58 pm (#

Looks great! :)

6. Lara Harris posted on May 11, 2010 at 1:58 pm (#

Looks great! :)

7. Amy @ Living Locurto posted on May 11, 2010 at 2:55 pm (#

Great idea Cheryl! Those turned out really pretty.

8. Amy @ Living Locurto posted on May 11, 2010 at 2:55 pm (#

Great idea Cheryl! Those turned out really pretty.

9. Chrissy @ Home.Kids.Life. posted on May 11, 2010 at 3:55 pm (#

So pretty! I'm especially fond of the fabric! I just recovered a lamp in that exact pattern. Thanks for the how-to!

10. Chrissy @ Home.Kids.Life. posted on May 11, 2010 at 3:55 pm (#

11. Sherry posted on May 11, 2010 at 8:57 pm (#

Great Idea! I could make one for my sewingroom as I am in the middle of a spruce up. Thanks for sharing.

12. Sherry posted on May 11, 2010 at 8:57 pm (#

13. Lorie posted on May 11, 2010 at 9:22 pm (#

It is very cute!!

14. Lorie posted on May 11, 2010 at 9:22 pm (#

It is very cute!!

15. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} posted on May 11, 2010 at 10:22 pm (#

Super cute!! Great tutorial.

16. Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} posted on May 11, 2010 at 10:22 pm (#

Super cute!! Great tutorial.

17. Jenny posted on May 11, 2010 at 11:08 pm (#

Those pizzas look so yummy! For some reason I'm hungry right now, but I shouldn't be!

18. Jenny posted on May 11, 2010 at 11:08 pm (#

19. Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique posted on May 12, 2010 at 4:50 am (#

Gorgeous love the fabric and the end result!
    Thanks for the tutorial!

20. Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique posted on May 12, 2010 at 4:50 am (#

Gorgeous love the fabric and the end result!
    Thanks for the tutorial!

21. Amy posted on May 12, 2010 at 5:33 am (#

Oh goodness – love, love, love it! Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

22. Amy posted on May 12, 2010 at 5:33 am (#

Oh goodness – love, love, love it! Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

23. Lynn from For Love or Funny posted on May 12, 2010 at 6:10 am (#

This is a great idea! I never thought of using fabric to jazz up my switchplates!

24. Lynn from For Love or Funny posted on May 12, 2010 at 6:10 am (#

25. NorCalMom posted on May 12, 2010 at 12:46 pm (#

What a great idea. I look forward to reading you posts and get inspired to try new things. This I think I can do.

I have a "Sweet Blog" award for you. Stop by when you get a chance.

26. NorCalMom posted on May 12, 2010 at 12:46 pm (#

I have a "Sweet Blog" award for you. Stop by when you get a chance.

27. Shelley posted on May 12, 2010 at 2:09 pm (#

So Cute! I love it. Why didn't I think of that!? ;)

28. Shelley posted on May 12, 2010 at 2:09 pm (#

So Cute! I love it. Why didn't I think of that!? ;)

29. Pink and Polka Dot posted on May 12, 2010 at 7:30 pm (#

That is adorable! I can't stand how cute it is! Thanks!

30. Pink and Polka Dot posted on May 12, 2010 at 7:30 pm (#

That is adorable! I can't stand how cute it is! Thanks!

31. bridget {bake at 350} posted on May 13, 2010 at 7:36 am (#

I would NEVER have thought to do this! What a great idea!!!

32. bridget {bake at 350} posted on May 13, 2010 at 7:36 am (#

I would NEVER have thought to do this! What a great idea!!!

33. Tina @ www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com posted on May 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm (#

I love this idea. I would have never thought of it. Thanks for sharing.

34. Tina @ www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com posted on May 13, 2010 at 6:17 pm (#

I love this idea. I would have never thought of it. Thanks for sharing.

35. Darla posted on May 14, 2010 at 7:15 pm (#

How am I just NOW finding your blog. Sometimes my ignorance surprises even ME. Is this the switch plate that matches the rest of the items your (and I together in Facebook-land) bought at Kohls? Is there a picture of the bathroom complete? I need to search.

36. Darla posted on May 14, 2010 at 7:15 pm (#

37. Andi's English Attic posted on May 15, 2010 at 3:18 am (#

This is such an inspired idea. Thanks for showing us how. xx

38. Andi's English Attic posted on May 15, 2010 at 3:18 am (#

This is such an inspired idea. Thanks for showing us how. xx

39. Melissa posted on May 15, 2010 at 5:07 am (#

great idea! And those pizzas look so yummy! I just love your blog! Sending you the sunshine blog award. Pop over to http://www.lissyinitaly.blogspot.com if you are interested.
    Melissa

40. Melissa posted on May 15, 2010 at 5:07 am (#

Melissa

41. Bethany posted on June 20, 2010 at 2:46 am (#

Love this idea. I was looking for a project like this to give a little kick to my boring places… Now I have the perfect excuse to buy some new fabric! Thank you!!

42. Bethany posted on June 20, 2010 at 2:46 am (#

43. Mod Podge Amy posted on June 25, 2010 at 9:24 am (#

Of course I love this one!

44. Mod Podge Amy posted on June 25, 2010 at 9:24 am (#

Of course I love this one!

45. Ally posted on January 17, 2011 at 7:27 am (#

So cute!! Maybe we will try them, too!

46. Piamarianne posted on July 30, 2011 at 12:17 pm (#

Wow, i need to do that! All my switchplates are so old and ugly, but i never thought of this! Thanks so much for sharing!

47. Caren Hammer posted on January 16, 2012 at 12:44 pm (#

Great way to add a little something to a room.

48. Caren Hammer posted on January 16, 2012 at 12:46 pm (#

Cute.

49. Nicole posted on January 30, 2012 at 1:16 pm (#

Be careful ladies!

Modge Podge and Fabric? On an electrical switchplate? Fire hazard!!!

• TidyMom replied on January 31st, 2012 at 8:35 am

I just spoke to Amy, from Mod Podge Rocks and here’s what she had to say:

It’s absolutely not a fire hazard. If you are just wrapping the front of the switch plates, it’s not coming into contact with any wires. Plus Mod Podge is non flammable. PLUS if switch plates were that hot they wouldn’t be made of plastic. Mod Podge should never come in direct contact w flame b/c it will melt, but it will not catch on fire.

50. Rachel posted on February 7, 2012 at 11:22 am (#

I love this! The switch plates in my kitchen are so ugly and we were going to buy new ones, but now I’ll just cover them in fabric! Also, I absolutely love your wall paint color? We’ve probably spent $50 on paint samples in the last week trying to find the perfect tan! What color did you use??

1. Pingback: Jennie

2. Pingback: διακόσμηση τοίχου με ύφασμα « Manina

3. Pingback: My Squirrel World » Blog Archive » Little touch

4. Pingback: Daughter's Room: DIY Projects (and LAST post, I promise) | Life Is But A Drink

5. Pingback: Craft Craze: Mod Podge Obsessed | preppy obsessions

6. Pingback: How to make a Fabric Covered Switch Plate cover via @TidyMom | nikiavannrr5850

7. Pingback: DIY Gallery Wall | misscraftyengineer