follow TidyMom on Pinterest

Mod Podge Frame tutorial

So, I’m not usually very crafty.

I stick with SIMPLE projects.

But I learned something this week…….

***I CAN be crafty!***

I have found a new SIMPLE project that I had a lot of fun with over the weekend!

I made some fun easy Valentine picture frames!

DIY easy Mod Podge Frame Tutorial.  Great gift idea!  Learn how to make these frames in no time at TidyMom.net

and NON-Valentinesy (yes, I made up that word lol) frames

I can’t wait to make more of these (and I will certainly be doing these for Christmas this year!)

Like I said, these are really easy (and cheap).

But since some of you may be a little “crafty challenged” like I am, and like “visuals”, I made a tutorial to so you can make your own!

Mod Podge Picture Frames Tutorial

Supplies:

Frame(s) – I got these for $1.00 each at Michaels

Scrapbook paper

Mod Podge

Stain Ink

sand paper

sponge applicator/brush

Exacto knife

Instructions

1) gather your unfinished wood frames

unfinished frames

2) Stain the parts that will not be covered by paper. That means, the back, the inside and outside edges and the little doll rod.

Let the stain dry.

stained frames

3) I forgot to take a picture of the next step – but you want to cover the front of the frame with a nice layer of ModPodge using your sponge brush. Let it “set” for about 30 seconds, then apply another layer of Mod Podge. Next place your scrapbook paper on top and smooth out bubbles.

DIY Scrapbook paper frames

I used a card to smooth out the bubbles really good.
Rub the card all over the frame.

DIY Scrapbook paper frames

4) Now you want to lay the frame face down and cut the paper around the frame, and the center.
Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be perfect – we’re going to sand the edges next.

cut paper DIY frames

Here you can see how rough my cut edges are.

DIY frame

5) Now use your sandpaper to smooth out all of the sides/edges. For the inside corners I fold my sandpaper and rub up and down to get the corners sanded.

Frame Craft

6) Next you want to use your ink/stain pad to cover up all of the white edges you got from sanding.
Run the stain pad over the edges, you can play with this part and stain as much or as little as you wish. If you tilt the pad, you will get more stain on the frame.

frame diy craft

You can use a cloth or paper towel to get into the corners or to spread the stain over the paper.
I like to dab my cloth in the ink and wipe the whole paper with ink.

DIY frames

I then take the pad and wipe it on some spots and corners to make the ink darker in sporadic spots.
See how it’s dark and “worn” looking in some spots?

DIY frame tutorial

7) The final step, cover your frame, including sides, with 3 more layers of Mod Podge. Let it dry about 10-15 mins. between each coat.

Then……there you go! some great lookin’ frames! Easy Peasy!

DIY Frame tutorial at TidyMom.net

These only took about an hour and 15 mins to do 2 of them, that includes the drying time between coats.

If you’re new to TidyMom, I would love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe via RSS feed or Email. I would also love to connect with you on Facebook and Twitter! Thanks for visiting!
About TidyMom

Comments

1. 1

Thanks for sharing – that is something I can totally do. Would make cute teacher gifts…for any occasion.

2. 2

3. 3

what a great craft! Thanks for sharing.

4. 4

what a great craft! Thanks for sharing.

5. 5

Cute!

6. 6

Cute!

7. 7
    Musings of a Housewife says:

Omigosh. From one craft-challenged gal to another, I am SO impressed. I don’t think I’d dare tackle that one, but those are GORGEOUS. What fun and lovely and yet practical gifts!

8. 8
    Musings of a Housewife says:

9. 9
    Emily@remodelingthislife says:

I LOVE these!! I am going to try this out! I love *simple* projects!

10. 10
    Emily@remodelingthislife says:

I LOVE these!! I am going to try this out! I love *simple* projects!

11. 11

What fun it is to click over here and get a TUTORIAL too!

Those frames are awesome! I will definitely be making some soon.

12. 12

What fun it is to click over here and get a TUTORIAL too!

Those frames are awesome! I will definitely be making some soon.

13. 13

those are great! I am going to try this myself;)

14. 14

those are great! I am going to try this myself;)

15. 15

those are so pretty! Way to go! And by the way, the puppet thing would have sent me off my rocker!

Off to read more.

Terra

16. 16

Off to read more.

Terra

17. 17

Those are incredible. I’ll have to look at that better later. I am so impressed.

18. 18

19. 19
    Bella Casa says:

Love those, very pretty! Thanks for the directions, too!

Last year I painted a frame and added a “Princess” sign to it and some fluffy fringe and framed my great-niece’s photo in it…but when I turned the frame around it was still bare…with black paint drops and smudges on it…very tacky! lol I’m so amateur when it comes to crafts! ;)

I am going to stumble this post for you, too :)

20. 20
    Bella Casa says:

Love those, very pretty! Thanks for the directions, too!

I am going to stumble this post for you, too :)

21. 21

Gorgeous frames! Love the papers you used.

22. 22

Gorgeous frames! Love the papers you used.

23. 23

What a beautiful idea! You crafty types always amaze me. I love it!

24. 24

What a beautiful idea! You crafty types always amaze me. I love it!

25. 25

Those are really pretty! Great job! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

26. 26

Those are really pretty! Great job! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

27. 27
    Eli's Lids says:

I love love love this idea!! I’ll be doing these to match my living room in the near future!!

28. 28
    Eli's Lids says:

29. 29
    whoopsadasie says:

How cute are those! I love that you gave the tutorial for us! I haven’t done anything crafty in a while…but I think I will try these. Thanks for sharing!

30. 30
    whoopsadasie says:

31. 31
    CozyCoops Corner says:

Those frames are gorgeous ! I love them and how simple to do ! I’ve never seen a stain pad like that. Where do you get them ?

32. 32
    CozyCoops Corner says:

33. 33

Cheryl~
    That is very clever! I love the way those turned out.
    I would like to know where you picked up your stain pad too. I have never seen those before either.
    Great job by someone who claims not to be crafty!

34. 34

Cheryl~
    That is very clever! I love the way those turned out.
    Great job by someone who claims not to be crafty!

35. 35

I got the ink pad at Michaels

Thanks everyone!!

~Tidymom

36. 36

I got the ink pad at Michaels

Thanks everyone!!

~Tidymom

37. 37
    livinginagirlsworld says:

OMG! That you so much for sharing what you learned! I have the supplies to do this. It sounds perfect for the kids to help.

38. 38
    livinginagirlsworld says:

39. 39
    Megan (mommyesquire) says:

I am beyond impressed. I wasn’t even sure what Mod Podge was before reading this! :)

40. 40
    Megan (mommyesquire) says:

41. 41
    He And Me + 3 says:

Beautiful! I will take one of each! Those turned out awesome!

42. 42
    He And Me + 3 says:

Beautiful! I will take one of each! Those turned out awesome!

43. 43
    Valarie Lea says:

These are super cute!!!

44. 44
    Valarie Lea says:

These are super cute!!!

45. 45
    CJ, the Purple Diva says:

Love them! I’m linking ya!

46. 46
    CJ, the Purple Diva says:

Love them! I’m linking ya!

47. 47

Me…not so crafty either, but this I think I can handle! Thanks for the great directions.

Any particular stain I should use?

48. 48

Any particular stain I should use?

49. 49
    Sheeptwirls says:

How pretty! The frame on the left at the bottom of your tutorial is the paper I used for my wedding invitations, which my sister and I made. Very beautiful!! And how wonderful it would be to make a frame in that one and put a wedding pic in it!!! See if DH catches the significance!! Wait…never mind…he’s a man, he won’t notice!

Take care,

Teresa

50. 50
    Sheeptwirls says:

Take care,

Teresa

Trackbacks

1. [...] Here are some of my projects from 2009Easy Mod Podge Frame Tutorial [...]

2. [...] get ready, get set…..I am making these! Already have everything I need, just waiting until I have [...]

3. [...] I saw Tidy Mom’s tutorial for Mod Podge frames on Pinterest, I knew that I had to try [...]

4. [...] fabulous. All is forgiven. Except for PInterest. Cause it’s evil. Here is the how-to from TidyMom and she rawwks the vintage [...]

5. [...] has a great how-to on faux-tiquing your frames like these. Go check it out, too. Super adorable, doesn’t even begin to describe [...]

I’d love to hear from you, leave a comment

Current day month ye@r *