Home and Garden

Unexpected Uses for Toothpaste

Toothpaste is not just for brushing your teeth.  It has many uses around the house, from cleaning jewelry to unfogging mirrors and much much more.

Unexpected Uses for Toothpaste at TidyMom

I’m participating in The Switch & Save Challenge, trying a variety of Arm & Hammer products and sharing my experiences with you!

I bet you thought toothpaste was just for brushing your teeth didn’t you?

Well, we recently talked about all the uses for baking soda around our home…but did you know tooth paste has many uses too?

Household Uses for Toothpaste

Mirror and Goggle Defogger

Coat a bathroom mirror with a little (non-gel) toothpaste, then wipe with a dry cloth, before stepping into the shower.  When your finished with your shower, you will have a clear mirror to see in.  Same method applies to goggles, smear inside of goggles with toothpaste, then wipe clean, to avoid fogged-up goggles.

Clean Jewelry

My mom told me this little trick years ago.  Put a little toothpaste on an old toothbrush and use it to make your diamond ring and silver jewelry sparkle. Clean off the residue with a damp cloth.

Clean your Clothes Iron

Apply the toothpaste to the cool iron, scrub with a rag, then rinse clean.

Deodorize baby bottles

No matter how well you clean them, baby bottles can get that sour-milk smell. Toothpaste can be your secret weapon. Just put some on your bottle brush and scrub away. Be sure to rinse thoroughly.

Remove crayon from walls

Grab a rag or, better yet, a scrub brush. Squirt non gel toothpaste on the wall and start scrubbing. The fine abrasive in the toothpaste will rub away the crayon every time. Rinse the wall with water.

Remove watermarks from furniture

To get rid of watermark rings left by sweating beverages, gently rub some non-gel toothpaste on the wood with a soft cloth. Then wipe it off with a damp cloth and let it dry before applying furniture polish.

I would love to hear any other ways you have found to use toothpaste around your home.

This is a sponsored post for Church & Dwight Co., Inc, the maker of ARM & HAMMER branded products, who is paying me to try different products. Sign up for a free sample of Advance White Brilliant Sparkle Toothpaste. And then head over to The Switch & Save Challenge to keep up with all of the bloggers and enter to win $25,000

24 Responses to “Unexpected Uses for Toothpaste”

1. Diane@InMyOwnStyle posted on September 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm (#

Can use it to Spackle up holes in your walls.

2. Jody posted on September 9, 2011 at 3:31 pm (#

I use it to remove sharpie marker. Unbelievably…it works! Use paste, not gel, test a small area first (may bleach, but never has anything of mine).

3. Kristen posted on September 9, 2011 at 4:31 pm (#

I love that toothpaste picture! Such helpful tips. Thanks for sharing them!

4. Marie B posted on September 9, 2011 at 5:12 pm (#

We keep it handy to put on fire-ant bites. It helps with pain and swelling, also a must have for wasp or bee stings.

5. Paula posted on September 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm (#

I’ve heard of some of these tips but not all of them. Thanks for posting.

6. marla posted on September 10, 2011 at 8:24 am (#

I think you just need to move in with me. Great toothpaste tips!

7. Ami w/AliLilly posted on September 10, 2011 at 10:15 am (#

BOOO! Diane beat me! It closes up TAC holes in yours walls PERFECTLY! I never heard of the iron cleaning! I’m gonna have to try that! :)

8. Hetal posted on September 10, 2011 at 10:44 am (#

Toothpaste (not the gel kind) provides great after burn relief. I just smear some tooth paste on the burned area and it gives good relief from the burning sensation.

• Naluh replied on September 11th, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Er… sorry to get into this, but, as a First Aid/ CPR instructor, I have to advice you not to use toothpaste or any other paste or cream on burns. The relieve is fake, is an feeling from the peppermint. In the reality, covering any burn with toothpaste will keep the warm inside of it, not allowing the burn to cool down and intensifies the burn!

9. Sara posted on September 10, 2011 at 11:15 am (#

So….do I really want to put that in my mouth?

• Dina replied on September 10th, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Haha I like this thought… hmmm.. :P

10. Katy Lunsford posted on September 10, 2011 at 11:33 am (#

Great ideas, thank you for sharing.

11. Shona posted on September 10, 2011 at 12:03 pm (#

Awesome! A few of them I had heard before, but needed a reminder! I LOVE the watermarks on furniture one!! I am def going to try this one! Thanks so much for sharing!

12. susan posted on September 10, 2011 at 12:16 pm (#

Thanks for all the reminders on household! I use mostly for personal care-dot a little on that first sign of a zit or cold sore,let dry, sleep with it,and rinse off when you wash your face in the morning. Gone! :) use as gentle abrasive on nails when your polish leaves a little stain (unless u use straight acetone). Just buff your nails&rinse. Works well on white leather with old toothbrush,too.

13. Dina posted on September 10, 2011 at 12:45 pm (#

How often do you clean your jewelry? Just cleaned my rings with it and.. fabulous! I was going to buy jewelry cleaner, now I don’t think I need to!

14. Erika posted on September 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm (#

Miitary uses it to clean their brass.

15. Rachel posted on September 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm (#

Sweet! Thank you for sharing. I just washed my wedding ring and a silver bracelet that was extremely tarnished and now they’re both sparkly clean!

16. Wayne posted on April 3, 2013 at 10:05 am (#

Another use no one mentioned, is to wipe it on your headlights with a damp cloth and then wipe it off and polish your headlights. This helps when the lenses are discolouring, I have done this many times over the years on my headlights and it has always worked to clear the lens. Cheaper than buying the headlight restoration kits!

• TidyMom replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 10:25 am

I love that! – going to try it on our daughter’s Jeep Liberty!

• wayne replied on April 3rd, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I have tried colgate and crest, (not gel), and they both work.

17. Sue posted on April 3, 2013 at 11:10 am (#

Use to clean white shoes. It gets the scuff marks of,esp children’s shoes.

18. Waco Bayless posted on April 3, 2013 at 6:46 pm (#

Toothpaste works great to remove greasy stains from clothes. Just work it in gently with a soft,wet toothbrush and launder as usual.

19. Diane posted on January 22, 2014 at 2:42 am (#

I use toothpaste to remove hard water stains on the kitchen and bathroom chrome fixtures & stainless steel. Best jewelery cleaner there is but afraid to use it on pearls.

1. Pingback: dryer sheet uses | TidyMom