Red White & Blue Cupcakes!
with recipe video
If you are looking for patriotic cupcakes for your next party, these Red White and Blue Cupcakes are sure to spark their attention and earn salutes at any Memorial Day and 4th of July celebrations.
Some people like to celebrate the 4th of July with barbecues and fireworks….I say,”Let’s celebrate with Red White and Blue Cupcakes!!”
If you are looking for an impressive treat for your 4th of July celebration, look no further. These patriotic cupcakes are too cute, a box cake mix makes it easy and they are sure to be a hit with the kids. Disclaimer- yes, I’ve heard all the “evil” about food coloring in food…..if this bothers’s you, please just close this post.
I’ve seen these cupcakes around the web for a while, like here and here and I’ve been looking forward to trying them myself! I will to say that I was thrilled with the results! They turned out even cuter than I had hoped for.
Let’s Make Red White and Blue Cupcakes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Mix up a batch of white cake batter, using The Perfect Cupcakes (using a mix)
Divide your white cake mix into 3 bowls.
I highly recommend using the gel-paste food coloring. The color is concentrated, so it does not require a lot to achieve the hue you’re going for. The liquid food coloring from the grocery store will “water down” your batter.
Spoon a little of each color into your cupcake liners, filling about 1/2 full.
Bake at 350° for 20 mins. and let cool.
Next I made a batch of Glory’s Frosting
To make tricolor frosting
I then filled the bag with my white frosting and piped my cupcakes using my Wilton 1M tip.
I did add some fun patriotic sprinkles to some, that I found in the Dollar Spot at Target a while back, and topped all of them with these little red pin-wheel toppers I picked up at WalMart.
See how fun they look when you bite in!
CHECK OUT HOW EASY THESE RED WHITE AND BLUE CUPCAKES ARE TO MAKE! WATCH THE VIDEO!
click to see more of my recipe videos
I’m going to make these again this weekend as our family all gather’s at our family log home.
Red White and Blue Cupcakes
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line cupcake pan with cupcake wrappers.
- Divide prepared white cake mix into 3 bowls. Add red gel coloring to one, and blue color to another.
- Spoon a little of each color batter into your cupcake liners, filling about 1/2 full.
- Bake 20 mins. and let cool.
- For frosting: Place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat slightly. Add cream cheese and blend until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add vanilla and sugar and blend on low until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy. (*I use clear vanilla and bright white gel color to keep my frosting nice and white)
- Slowly add the cream a little at a time until desired consistency is met. (Don’t add too much if you want the frosting to stay in place when piped on cupcakes.)
- Place a 1M tip in a 16-inch pastry bag.
- Using a small paint brush, lined the inside of the pastry/decorating bag with 2 stripes of each, red and blue gel color.
- Fill the bag with white frosting and pip on to cupcakes
- top with sprinkles
Making this recipe? Share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #TidyMom so we can see what you're creating in the kitchen!
Want more great recipes like this? Follow my TidyMom Easy Recipes Pinterest Board
While we celebrate with yummy food, I cannot help but think about the life of freedom we have today that is due to all of the people who gave (and are still giving) the ultimate sacrifice in order to protect our country. I appreciate their dedication and sacrifices from the bottom of my heart. It is because of them and their families that we can fly our flags high and be thankful that we live in the U.S.A.
Click here to find more Red White and Blue ideas for 4th of July.
Like this Red White and Blue Cupcake Recipe? Pin It!