Gigi Salad and Bush’s Beans Giveaway
While I was in Napa with Bush’s Beans for a day of Flavors from Around the World cooking at the CIA, Connie Guttersen shared her culinary expertise and dietary knowledge by showing us how we can build flavors around the goodness of beans with a salad.
A tasty and tangy salad that would definitely make a beautiful presentation at any holiday table!
Did you know that beans are one of nature’s healthiest foods?! – they are naturally low in total fat, contain no saturated fat or cholesterol, and provide important nutrients such as fiber, protein, calcium, iron,
folic acid and potassium. And according to the Mayo Clinic, beans are packed with phytonutrients that may help prevent chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease and cancer? Yep!! just one more great reason to add more beans to your diet!
We got to enjoy this salad for lunch, and let me tell you………….it’s even MORE delicious than it is GORGEOUS!!
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or honey
- 1 pinch chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups hearts of palms
- 2 cups orange segments (approximately 2 oranges)
- 1 cup jicama, juilenne
- 1 lb shrimp, cooked
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, arials
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup scallions, cut thin on bias
- 2 cups butter lettuce, cut into strips
- 1/2 can Bush’s Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoon slivered almonds, toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk (or in a mason jar and shake). Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine hearts of palm, orange, jicama and cooked shrimp in large bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Dress salad with 4 tablespoons of citrus dressing.
- Gently mix in pomegranate seeds, avocados, scallions, lettuce and beans.
- Taste for salt and pepper and additional dressing.
- Garnish with toasted almonds.
**This giveaway has ended. Congratulations to #25 Gailanne!
Bush’s Beans has provided some kitchen goodies for one (1) TidyMom winner
- Bush’s Beans items: apron, coupons, bean strainer and mints, recipe bookmark
- Spices/ingredients for recipes: Tahini paste, cumin, smoked paprika
- Culinary Institute of America/Napa items: Spoon rest, dish towel, Olive Press citrus olive oil
1. Visit Bush’s Beans and leave a comment here, telling me what your favorite beans are and how you like to use them
Get Extra Entries by: (leave a separate comment for each)
- Become a subscriber to TidyMom by doing one of the following: subscribe via RSS, email or Google Friends connect (see widget at bottom of page) Already subscribe? AWESOME!… but be sure to let me know in the comments so your extra entry will count.
- Follow TidyMom and Bush’s Beans on Twitter
- join TidyMom and Bush’s Beans on Facebook (tell them hello and TidyMom sent you!)
Giveaway will end on Dec 9, 2010 at 5 pm CST. One winner with a valid entry will be selected at random using random.org. I will email the winners and they will have 48 hours to claim their prize.
All photography in this post provided by Faith Ectermeyer.
REMINDER– I’m Lovin’ It will be back this week………..come link up what you are loving, party will go live just after 9pm CST tonight!
*Thanks to Bush’s Beans for supplying the gift pack for this giveaway.