DIY/Crafts

Guest Blogger – Amy from The Idea Room {How to make Slime}

I’m so lucky to have such crafty and creative friends, and even more lucky when they offer to come over and share some of their creativity with my readers!  My friend Amy, of The Idea Room, is no exception!  She’s a stay at home mother of five and ideas and creativity are something she is never short on……and she’s here to share a fun one that your little ones are sure to enjoy!!

Hey there! My name is Amy and you can normally find me over at The Idea Room.
I love Tidy Mom and so it is very exciting to be able to be here today and share one of my kids favorite activities with Cheryl’s amazing readers.

Summer is just around the corner and the kids are going to be home all day long and looking for something to entertain them. At our house when the boredom hits, we like to pull out the Borax and make some slime…Glow-in-the-dark slime! And it is so simple and easy that anyone can do it! All you need are a few household supplies.

How to make homemade slime

You will need the following items:
Borax
Elmer’s Clear School Glue (you can also use Elmer’s White School Glue)
*I have tried glues other than Elmer’s and have not had as good of results so I would stick with the Elmer’s brand
Food Coloring
Empty bottle (soda bottle)
Glow in the Dark Paint (optional)
water
2 disposable cups
stir stick

We follow the directions shared in this You Tube video but added the glow in the dark paint as well.
We also used clear glue instead of the white Elmer’s glue. I loved the feeling and texture the clear school glue gave the slime.

The more borax solution you add, the stiffer your slime will become. If you want runny slime go easy on the borax solution. We wanted our a little stiffer so we added a bit more Borax solution. Ours turned out really nice. You can roll it into a perfectly round sphere, that slowly flattens when left alone. It really does glow. But I was not smart enough to figure out how to take a picture of it. The version I made is “mom-friendly”. It will not stick in carpet because it is fairly solid. I cannot make any guarantees though if you choose to go with the runnier slime version.

I hope you enjoy this and that you and your kids love it. I have had some people who are concerned about the “toxicity” of the Borax. If this is a concern to you there are other versions of slime recipes that don’t include the Borax but in my opinion but do not turn out as good. You can also let your kids wear thin latex gloves while they are playing with it. And as always be sure your kids wash their hands after playing with and handling their slime.
Thanks for having me. I would love to have you stop by The Idea Room anytime and see the other fun stuff we are sharing!

Amy Huntley- The Idea RoomAmy is a stay-at-home mom of five and former science teacher . She loves to blog about fun crafts, recipes and things to do with your family.  When she’s not blogging, she’s outside with her family: camping, hiking, and even running when she gets a free moment.

Website: The Idea Room
Twitter: @TheIdeaRoom
Facebook: The Idea Room

23 Responses to “Guest Blogger – Amy from The Idea Room {How to make Slime}”

1. staci posted on May 10, 2011 at 6:39 pm (#

This is a great idea (and seems pretty simple).
    Thanks so much for sharing this Amy!!

2. bridget {bake at 350} posted on May 10, 2011 at 6:48 pm (#

mom of five!!! I didn’t know that!

And my son will be ALL over this….or should I say it will be ALL over HIM! He’ll love it!

3. Amanda posted on May 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm (#

Oh. My. Gosh. I think you just made my kids whole day. WOW!!! Thank you Cheryl for introducing me to a wonderful and creative mom!! Cant wait to stalk her site!

4. Robyn | Add a Pinch posted on May 10, 2011 at 9:21 pm (#

We love, love, love to make homemade slime. It is so much fun!!! Love this post.

5. Kara posted on May 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm (#

LOVE this!! And I especially love the last picture :) Way cute. Can’t wait to make this with my 3 yr old over summer break!! I am going to share this on my facebook and link back :)

6. Lynn from For Love or Funny posted on May 11, 2011 at 4:54 am (#

I LOVE Amy and her blog, The Idea Room! It’s nice to see her here today!

7. Crystal & Co posted on May 11, 2011 at 7:39 am (#

I love Amy’s site! Great tutorial. Sharing this with my readers on Facebook!

8. Sharon at Momof6 posted on May 11, 2011 at 7:45 am (#

I love this idea! I don’t think that I have even seen the neon food coloring before- so that is something that I will be on the lookout for! I love Amy and her blog… and I am so glad that she guest posted here so that I could meet you too!

9. Susan posted on May 11, 2011 at 9:34 am (#

SLIME!!!! How fun!

10. sweetsugarbelle posted on May 11, 2011 at 10:13 am (#

This is AWESOME…you just became my kids HERO…STumbled!

11. Paula posted on May 11, 2011 at 12:32 pm (#

What fun! A great project for me to do with my grandkids while visiting, then I’ll send them all home to their Mom’s with it. LOL

Great visiting with you here Amy!

12. Katie | GoodLife Eats posted on May 11, 2011 at 1:34 pm (#

We are totally going to do this over the summer. My kids will LOVE it!

13. Amy @ A Little Nosh posted on May 12, 2011 at 9:42 am (#

Awesome! My son will love this!

14. Amy {The Idea Room} posted on May 12, 2011 at 8:31 pm (#

Thanks Cheryl for having me! Thanks everyone for the fun comments!

15. Michelle posted on May 14, 2011 at 10:01 am (#

Can you use another product besides Borax? I can’t find this in my area.

16. Cat Davis posted on May 16, 2011 at 11:10 am (#

That’s a fun idea! I actually have a box of Borax hanging out in my garage that I was just gonna get rid of.

17. Marie posted on August 4, 2011 at 10:33 am (#

I love activities like these! Kids like them and it actually keeps them occupied in a good and creative way.

18. misteriouse posted on August 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm (#

it was a good project for my 6 kids

19. Tara posted on November 30, 2012 at 6:15 am (#

Does anyone know how to slime out of a fuzzy, fleece blanket?

20. Lisa posted on March 6, 2013 at 8:15 am (#

Thank you for the recipe(and video)! My son has sensory issues so this was a great project to do with him because his curiosity overrode his fear of unusual textures:)

21. John R. posted on May 24, 2014 at 2:09 pm (#

How much of the glow in the dark paint did you add to it? I assume that you made the same amount as the first pictures shows… a red Solo cup full. I’m planning on doing this as a project for a class of 20-25 3rd and 4th graders, so I’m trying to figure out how much of each item I’ll need. Thanks!

1. Pingback: Surfin’ Saturday- 5/14/2011 | Cooking Traditional Foods