Blog News

WFMW-Make your Blog Recipes Printer Friendly

I have another blogging tip this week.
I thought I’d share for Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family.

Making the recipes I post here on my blog printer friendly has been one of the most useful blogging tips I’ve found.

Since I’ve been working on making my recipes printer friendly(I’m still working my way thru my archives), I’ve been getting more and more emails asking how I do it.

Sometimes when blogging about a recipe, I break the directions up with pictures, and some times people don’t want to print all the pictures with a recipe – I know I don’t. I wanted to find a way for my readers to enjoy reading my blog and directions, yet be able to easily print out only what they need – the recipes.That’s when I found out about Google Docs. It’s so quick and easy to use, and you don’t need to know html, coding or anything else scary.

First you need to have a Google account, and then go to Goole Docs and get started.

Your page will look like this (you can click each of these pictures to view larger)

The first thing you want to do is click “Create New” in the upper left corner – you will get a drop down menu – choose “Document”

Now you have a blank document page.

From here I copy and paste my recipe as well as one picture at the top, just because I like a visual for my recipe, but I always size it down to a small picture. Copy and paste the picture then use the little boxes to pull the picture size down about 200×300.

After I paste my recipe and picture, I always make sure I put the name and link to my blog on the recipe so anyone who has the recipe, will know where the recipe came from.

When your recipe looks the way you want it…………go to the upper right corner and click “Share”

You will see a drop down menu – choose “Publish as a Web Page”

Now you want to click “Publish Document”

Now you have a link to your recipe! There’s no need to click anything else.

Copy that link and use it on our blog for your “printable recipe” link

That’s it! It’s that easy

If you have any question……….just leave a comment
- I’ll try and answer in the comments!

Hope this makes sense and helps!!

102 Responses to “WFMW-Make your Blog Recipes Printer Friendly”

1. Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:06 am (#

That is so helpful, but now I have to go back and reread it since I got lost…LOL. I added the printer friendly button at the bottom of my posts. I love that cuz you can choose the option without the pictures, but yours looks so much more professional. :)

2. Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:06 am (#

3. Nikki posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:26 am (#

I'm going to have to save this and re-read it when children aren't screaming. Fantastic tutorial. :)

4. Nikki posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:26 am (#

5. Marsha posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:37 am (#

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try it.

6. Marsha posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:37 am (#

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try it.

7. Angela posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:44 am (#

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have this daunting task on my to-do list, but I haven't sat down to figure out exactly how to do it! You saved me hours of trial and error! Now I just need hours to get it done! EEK!

8. Angela posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:44 am (#

9. Milehimama posted on February 17, 2010 at 1:13 am (#

Oh, thank you thank you thank you for this!

10. Milehimama posted on February 17, 2010 at 1:13 am (#

Oh, thank you thank you thank you for this!

11. a little bit of everything posted on February 17, 2010 at 1:14 am (#

That is so cool. I just tried it on a recipe and will be converting older recipes to this printable version. Thank you for posting the how-tos!
    Now, can you tell me why I have to leave mozilla and go to AOL to be able to post a comment on a number of blogs, including yours?? Perplexing.

12. a little bit of everything posted on February 17, 2010 at 1:14 am (#

13. Ally posted on February 17, 2010 at 1:55 am (#

Ah…awesome! Thanks for sharing! I use google docs all the time but didn't know about the website option! This will come in handy for me!

14. Ally posted on February 17, 2010 at 1:55 am (#

15. Allie posted on February 17, 2010 at 2:27 am (#

Thank you so much! I have had readers ask for printer friendly versions but had no idea how to do it. Thank you! I am going to try this…

16. Allie posted on February 17, 2010 at 2:27 am (#

17. Teresa posted on February 17, 2010 at 2:47 am (#

Cheryl…this is AMAZING!!!!
    I am DELIGHTED to know that I can go back and PRINT all of your great recipes!! Yeah!
    This will be fabulous!
    How on earth did you ever figure this out?
    And holymoly…how in the world did you make that hightech VIDEO?!
    TidyMOM…you have got it going on over here!!!!
    I'm just amazed!
    I'm such a complete AIRHEAD…I could have never figured any of this out!!
    You rock girl…and I ADORE having you as a great resource for so many things…but best of all I adore having you for a FRIEND!
    xxooxx

18. Teresa posted on February 17, 2010 at 2:47 am (#

Cheryl…this is AMAZING!!!!
    This will be fabulous!
    How on earth did you ever figure this out?
    And holymoly…how in the world did you make that hightech VIDEO?!
    TidyMOM…you have got it going on over here!!!!
    I'm just amazed!
    I'm such a complete AIRHEAD…I could have never figured any of this out!!
    xxooxx

19. Sage posted on February 17, 2010 at 6:14 am (#

So happpy to have found you on Foodlog.com. I have been using Google site to transfer my recipe and it works but I end up with the a long add; will work at this and get back to you.
    Thanks,
    Rita

20. Sage posted on February 17, 2010 at 6:14 am (#

Thanks,
    Rita

21. Robin posted on February 17, 2010 at 6:23 am (#

This is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you a million times over :)
    xoxo

22. Robin posted on February 17, 2010 at 6:23 am (#

This is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you a million times over :)
    xoxo

23. Kim... and Her Coffee posted on February 17, 2010 at 9:20 am (#

I LOVE fun tips/tricks like this. It makes me feel like I may have a (slight) chance at being somewhat technical. :-) Thanks a bunch for sharing this!!!!

24. Kim... and Her Coffee posted on February 17, 2010 at 9:20 am (#

25. Amanda posted on February 17, 2010 at 9:23 am (#

That is so cool! Thanks!!!

26. Amanda posted on February 17, 2010 at 9:23 am (#

That is so cool! Thanks!!!

27. Jenny86753oh9 posted on February 17, 2010 at 10:54 am (#

I can't believe I never thought to use Google Docs for that. Perfect…thanks!

28. Jenny86753oh9 posted on February 17, 2010 at 10:54 am (#

I can't believe I never thought to use Google Docs for that. Perfect…thanks!

29. Sherry posted on February 17, 2010 at 11:18 am (#

Suh-weet! Thank you for posting how to do this! :D

30. Sherry posted on February 17, 2010 at 11:18 am (#

Suh-weet! Thank you for posting how to do this! :D

31. SnoWhite posted on February 17, 2010 at 11:42 am (#

Wonderful! I just sat down last night to determine how I would do this :) Perfect timing! Thanks.

32. SnoWhite posted on February 17, 2010 at 11:42 am (#

33. Laura aka LaLaGirl posted on February 17, 2010 at 11:42 am (#

That is such an excellent idea – and one I never would have even thought to do. I'm sure it makes life easier for people! I'm going to try that in the future!

34. Laura aka LaLaGirl posted on February 17, 2010 at 11:42 am (#

35. Full Contact, Savior-centric Livin posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:09 pm (#

LOVE your blogging tips! Adding you to my blog links!

36. Full Contact, Savior-centric Livin posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:09 pm (#

LOVE your blogging tips! Adding you to my blog links!

37. Liz@HoosierHomemade posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm (#

Thanks for the great info! I have a print friendly button, but it doesn't do this. I think I will check into it.
    ~Liz

38. Liz@HoosierHomemade posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm (#

~Liz

39. Mary Ann posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:49 pm (#

Thank you for the instructions!

40. Mary Ann posted on February 17, 2010 at 12:49 pm (#

Thank you for the instructions!

41. Young Wife posted on February 17, 2010 at 1:04 pm (#

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

42. Young Wife posted on February 17, 2010 at 1:04 pm (#

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

43. Bull City Food posted on February 17, 2010 at 2:43 pm (#

Thanks so much for this tip! I've had people ask for printer friendly versions and I didn't know how to do it.

44. Bull City Food posted on February 17, 2010 at 2:43 pm (#

45. I Heart Faces posted on February 17, 2010 at 3:11 pm (#

Whoah! I need to go through and read this in detail. Looks very cool. Thanks for the TIP!

-Amy

46. I Heart Faces posted on February 17, 2010 at 3:11 pm (#

-Amy

47. Lois posted on February 17, 2010 at 3:25 pm (#

Thanks for that info. I'm gonna do mine this way!

48. Lois posted on February 17, 2010 at 3:25 pm (#

Thanks for that info. I'm gonna do mine this way!

49. Sage posted on February 17, 2010 at 3:35 pm (#

I am back to say you are so nice. It really works. This is my way of thanking you.
    Rita