Recipes

Roasted Parmesan Asparagus

Do you know that I never ate Asparagus until I was in my 30’s….and then I never even cooked them until last year?

They are now one of my most favorite vegetables.

I found out at Easter my mom doesn’t like them, so she never fixed them when I was growing up.

They’re so simple to fix like this and packed with flavor! We will often eat them two or three nights a week!

I found these directions online a year or so ago, I believe the recipe came from ~ Ina Garten the Barefoot Contessa.

roasted parmesan asparagus at TidyMom.net

Roasted Parmesan Asparagus

Roasted Parmesan Asparagus

Ingredients

• Asparagus
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Parmesan cheese

Instructions

1. Preheat Oven to 400°
  2. Cut off about an inch from the bottom on the stalks.
  3. Lay asparagus in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
  4. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper.
  5. Place in oven to roast for approximately 10 min. - thinner asparagus may need less time.
  6. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and return to oven for one to two mins until the cheese melts and turns a little brown.

Notes

The thinner ones like above I only roast for about 7-8 mins. but when I get the big fat ones I roast them for the full 10 mins.

© TidyMom. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.

“Like this recipe? Add it to your personal recipe box to make later or add the ingredients to your online shopping list to make it this week. Just click the Save Recipe button to get started.”

Do you like Asparagus? If so, do you have a favorite way to fix them?

70 Responses to “Roasted Parmesan Asparagus”

1. Lynn from For Love or Funny posted on April 13, 2010 at 7:21 am (#

I agree – I used to hate asparagus, now I love it. I also used to hate brussel sprouts, but now I love 'em. I take the leaves off the sprouts, put them in a skillet with olive oil, garlic, and salt, and cook until bright green and tender. One option is to add bacon to the dish. Yum.

2. Lynn from For Love or Funny posted on April 13, 2010 at 7:21 am (#

3. Southern Gal posted on April 13, 2010 at 7:54 am (#

I make asparagus like this and even my picky eater boys will eat it! I like to roast them almost crunchy.

4. Southern Gal posted on April 13, 2010 at 7:54 am (#

5. Lisa posted on April 13, 2010 at 8:36 am (#

YUM! We just started roasting our asparagus this year – but never with parm. I'll have to try it this week.

6. Lisa posted on April 13, 2010 at 8:36 am (#

7. Gina/Rustown Mom posted on April 13, 2010 at 8:59 am (#

Asparagus are good – I have never been brave enough to buy them fresh and roast them, so I will try this. I'm really loving fresh brussels sprouts right now; another under-appreciated veggie!

8. Gina/Rustown Mom posted on April 13, 2010 at 8:59 am (#

9. Beverly posted on April 13, 2010 at 9:28 am (#

This is my favorite side dish for the spring! I could make myself sick eating this~

10. Beverly posted on April 13, 2010 at 9:28 am (#

11. kudoskookies posted on April 13, 2010 at 9:47 am (#

Roasting veggies (of any kind) is my new and favorite way to make them. Everybody in the family now eats their veggies without fail, so I have to make a ton! So good! My favorite thing to add are pine nuts to the veggies before roasting. You must try this, you'll never roast without them again. YUM!
    Renee

12. kudoskookies posted on April 13, 2010 at 9:47 am (#

Renee

13. Sherry posted on April 13, 2010 at 10:18 am (#

Oh, wow! I love asparagus and this sounds scrumptious! :D

Have a great day!
    Sherry

14. Sherry posted on April 13, 2010 at 10:18 am (#

Oh, wow! I love asparagus and this sounds scrumptious! :D

Have a great day!
    Sherry

15. kado! posted on April 13, 2010 at 10:19 am (#

we eat Asparagus at least once or twice a week…we all love it! I usually steam ours, or throw it in stir-fry! YUMMY!

16. kado! posted on April 13, 2010 at 10:19 am (#

17. Hallie posted on April 13, 2010 at 10:38 am (#

I love asparagus too! I cook it in a frying pan with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic salt. Even my little boys like it!

18. Hallie posted on April 13, 2010 at 10:38 am (#

19. Jen posted on April 13, 2010 at 10:48 am (#

I have never tried asparagus, but make it a lot. I cannot get past VeggieTales and you shouldn't eat your friends! **and that veggietales sold SEED packets last year shocked me to tears!**
    Anyhow.
    I throw them on my emeril cast iron grill with peppers, onions, mushrooms, EVOO, and tomato basil garlic Mrs. Dash. I haven't had a complaint yet about the flavor. Texture is a different story: one person likes them CRISP, another likes them softer.

20. Jen posted on April 13, 2010 at 10:48 am (#

Anyhow.

21. Shanade posted on April 13, 2010 at 11:32 am (#

I just started cooking asparagus last year since I didn't think I liked them. Once I tried them and realized that I do like them it became a veggie staple at our home. My favorite way to eat them is roasted with olive oil and kosher salt. Yummy!

22. Shanade posted on April 13, 2010 at 11:32 am (#

23. Grace's Mom posted on April 13, 2010 at 11:42 am (#

You had me at parmesan. ;) I usually just drizzle a little EVOO and sprinkle on some garlic salt, then bake until crispy. But what's REALLY popular in my area is…

FRENCH FRIED ASPARAGUS!

It's amazing. It's dipped in batter and then fried like a french fry. When you eat it, you have to dip it in fry sauce first. Delic!

24. Grace's Mom posted on April 13, 2010 at 11:42 am (#

FRENCH FRIED ASPARAGUS!

25. Teresa posted on April 13, 2010 at 11:55 am (#

Hey Sweet Girl!
    I'm not totally BIG on asparagus…(don't know why…I do love most greens) but Greg LOVES asparagus!
    In our house…
    cooking asparagus is like one of those….
    I love and adore you more dishes!
    If I cook it…
    he adores me more! ;o)
    I have always used this recipe from Ina!
    Have drenched it a bit too much with the olive oil at times and then it's greasy.
    I have asparagus in the fridge…
    think I will make it tonight…
    so he'll ADORE me more! ;o)
    Oh…and I saute bits of asparagus and put them in scrambled eggs…
    with fontina cheese…and serve a crunchy slice of sour dough bread with it….OH YUM!!!!!
    xxooxx

26. Teresa posted on April 13, 2010 at 11:55 am (#

Hey Sweet Girl!
    In our house…
    cooking asparagus is like one of those….
    I love and adore you more dishes!
    If I cook it…
    he adores me more! ;o)
    I have always used this recipe from Ina!
    I have asparagus in the fridge…
    think I will make it tonight…
    so he'll ADORE me more! ;o)
    Oh…and I saute bits of asparagus and put them in scrambled eggs…
    xxooxx

27. Jessica @ This Blessed Life posted on April 13, 2010 at 12:06 pm (#

I am so glad you shared this – I like asparagus but I made it last week and it was so gross. I'm definitely saving this one to try! Thanks! (Here from Jen's.)

28. Jessica @ This Blessed Life posted on April 13, 2010 at 12:06 pm (#

29. Terri posted on April 13, 2010 at 1:00 pm (#

I LOVE asparagus too and I make it this way all the time but I use my toaster oven so I don't have to heat up the whole kitchen. I just put it on broil. I have never tried the parmesan part….I will now!!!

30. Terri posted on April 13, 2010 at 1:00 pm (#

31. Amanda @ Serenity Now posted on April 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm (#

Ohhh…I love asparagus, but only when it's roasted like that. I usually just use olive oil and some kosher salt and some pepper…yum!

32. Amanda @ Serenity Now posted on April 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm (#

33. Passport To Savings And Food posted on April 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm (#

I make mine very similar. This recipe came from my brother-in-law (I think). Before I had asparagus this way, I too was a 'hater'. My whole family fights over this dish. http://couponpassport.blogspot.com/2009/10/baked-parmesan-asparagus-delish.html

34. Passport To Savings And Food posted on April 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm (#

35. Lesa McMahon posted on April 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm (#

I love asparagus. My mom made it all of the time when I was growing up. My parents had a huge garden, so what we ate came from there. This sounds delish, I'm going to add it to my list of recipes to try. …I didn't get my parents green thumb or knowledge of how to prepare food. These are things I'm working on learning now…

36. Lesa McMahon posted on April 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm (#

37. Andrea posted on April 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm (#

I love asparagus dont eat enough of it Im defenitley trying it this way.

38. Andrea posted on April 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm (#

I love asparagus dont eat enough of it Im defenitley trying it this way.

39. Sage posted on April 13, 2010 at 3:20 pm (#

I am crazy about asparagus; cook them all kinds of ways, but this looks fantastic!thanks so much!
    Rita

40. Sage posted on April 13, 2010 at 3:20 pm (#

Rita

41. Ashley Mason posted on April 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm (#

This sounds yummy. When I was first married and made asparagus for my husband he told me he wouldn't eat it because he thought all asparagus was disgusting. After some weifery persuasion I got him to try mine and now he loves it! I usually make asparagus by pouring on a little zesty italian salad dressing and adding a few cracks of pepper and a bit of kosher salt, then steaming it in the microwave (gasp!). I think next time will try it roasted and add the parmesan. Now if I can only get him to try brussel sprouts!

42. Ashley Mason posted on April 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm (#

43. Rachel posted on April 13, 2010 at 4:50 pm (#

We've been making it that way for YEARS! My husband had never had asparagus until we introduced him to it aobut 12 years ago ;-)
    SUPER easy and delicious.. drizzle with olive oil, garlic salt and pepper. steam.

Lay out on foil side by side.. top with roasted garlic, lemon slices.. close foil and grill on your grill.. roughly 15 minutes.

Wrap in bacon and broil in the oven ;-)

I LOVE asparagus

44. Rachel posted on April 13, 2010 at 4:50 pm (#

Wrap in bacon and broil in the oven ;-)

I LOVE asparagus

45. jennykate77 posted on April 13, 2010 at 5:05 pm (#

Mmmmmmm…parmesean and asparagus together! Sounds so so so yummy!! I love putting asparagus on the grill during the summer. I just toss it with olive oil, salt, and pepper…but now I'm going to have to add parmesean to that equation!

46. jennykate77 posted on April 13, 2010 at 5:05 pm (#

47. bridget {bake at 350} posted on April 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm (#

I do love asparagus, well, as much as I can love a vegetable…and you can't go wrong with a recipe from Ina! ;)

Thank for for sharing…I'll be sure to try it!

48. bridget {bake at 350} posted on April 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm (#

Thank for for sharing…I'll be sure to try it!

49. Jessi posted on April 14, 2010 at 9:44 am (#

I have tasted asparagus made this way and love, love, LOVED it, but didn't know how it was prepared. SOOO easy….I can't wait to make it myself. (My family will still probably hate it, but that will just mean more for me!!) :) Thanks for the post!!

50. Jessi posted on April 14, 2010 at 9:44 am (#