DIY/Crafts

Mod Podge Frame tutorial

So, I’m not usually very crafty.

I stick with SIMPLE projects.

But I learned something this week…….

***I CAN be crafty!***

I have found a new SIMPLE project that I had a lot of fun with over the weekend!

I made some fun easy Valentine picture frames!

DIY easy Mod Podge Frame Tutorial.  Great gift idea!  Learn how to make these frames in no time at TidyMom.net

and NON-Valentinesy (yes, I made up that word lol) frames

I can’t wait to make more of these (and I will certainly be doing these for Christmas this year!)

Like I said, these are really easy (and cheap).

But since some of you may be a little “crafty challenged” like I am, and like “visuals”, I made a tutorial to so you can make your own!

Mod Podge Picture Frames Tutorial

Supplies:

Frame(s) – I got these for $1.00 each at Michaels

Scrapbook paper

Mod Podge

Stain Ink

sand paper

sponge applicator/brush

Exacto knife

Instructions

1) gather your unfinished wood frames

unfinished frames

2) Stain the parts that will not be covered by paper. That means, the back, the inside and outside edges and the little doll rod.

Let the stain dry.

stained frames

3) I forgot to take a picture of the next step – but you want to cover the front of the frame with a nice layer of ModPodge using your sponge brush. Let it “set” for about 30 seconds, then apply another layer of Mod Podge. Next place your scrapbook paper on top and smooth out bubbles.

DIY Scrapbook paper frames

I used a card to smooth out the bubbles really good.
Rub the card all over the frame.

DIY Scrapbook paper frames

4) Now you want to lay the frame face down and cut the paper around the frame, and the center.
Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be perfect – we’re going to sand the edges next.

cut paper DIY frames

Here you can see how rough my cut edges are.

DIY frame

5) Now use your sandpaper to smooth out all of the sides/edges. For the inside corners I fold my sandpaper and rub up and down to get the corners sanded.

Frame Craft

6) Next you want to use your ink/stain pad to cover up all of the white edges you got from sanding.
Run the stain pad over the edges, you can play with this part and stain as much or as little as you wish. If you tilt the pad, you will get more stain on the frame.

frame diy craft

You can use a cloth or paper towel to get into the corners or to spread the stain over the paper.
I like to dab my cloth in the ink and wipe the whole paper with ink.

DIY frames

I then take the pad and wipe it on some spots and corners to make the ink darker in sporadic spots.
See how it’s dark and “worn” looking in some spots?

DIY frame tutorial

7) The final step, cover your frame, including sides, with 3 more layers of Mod Podge. Let it dry about 10-15 mins. between each coat.

Then……there you go! some great lookin’ frames! Easy Peasy!

DIY Frame tutorial at TidyMom.net

These only took about an hour and 15 mins to do 2 of them, that includes the drying time between coats.

104 Responses to “Mod Podge Frame tutorial”

1. One More Equals Four posted on January 28, 2009 at 9:03 am (#

Wow, so cute! What a great idea!

2. One More Equals Four posted on January 28, 2009 at 9:03 am (#

Wow, so cute! What a great idea!

3. P.S.He loves you.. posted on January 28, 2009 at 11:17 am (#

What an adorable idea!

Came by the way of twitter..so now the “stalking/tweeting” begins…glad to have found you as your blog and cleverness can be very helpful to this sahm!

4. P.S.He loves you.. posted on January 28, 2009 at 11:17 am (#

What an adorable idea!

5. Carol @SheLives posted on January 28, 2009 at 11:24 am (#

Well, how crafty are you! Those are great. And your photo tutorial is so professional!

Love it!

6. Carol @SheLives posted on January 28, 2009 at 11:24 am (#

Love it!

7. Lisa posted on January 28, 2009 at 11:27 am (#

I’M NOT USUALLY A “CRAFTY” GAL, BUT THIS IS ONE I’M GOING TO DO! THANK YOU!!! HUGS FROM MAINE http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

8. Lisa posted on January 28, 2009 at 11:27 am (#

9. Cindi posted on January 28, 2009 at 12:11 pm (#

Very Cute! My best friend and I started a “Mom’s Craft Night Out” once a month and I’m in charge of the craft…because I’m crafty. I have to be careful of what I plan because the other Moms are not crafty and if I pick something too complicated, I’ll be finishing all of theirs. Here is what we did for January’s craft. You could so do this. VERY easy!

10. Cindi posted on January 28, 2009 at 12:11 pm (#

11. Misti of Studio M Designs posted on January 28, 2009 at 7:24 pm (#

These frames are awesome! I paint these frames all the time, but have never done this. I will be now! My mother’s bday is Friday….
    Thanks for the tutorial!
    ~Misti

12. Misti of Studio M Designs posted on January 28, 2009 at 7:24 pm (#

Thanks for the tutorial!
    ~Misti

13. Kim @ Forever Wherever posted on January 28, 2009 at 8:29 pm (#

Thanks for the tutorial! I’ll have to try it! Cheap and easy works for me!
    -Kim

14. Kim @ Forever Wherever posted on January 28, 2009 at 8:29 pm (#

Thanks for the tutorial! I’ll have to try it! Cheap and easy works for me!
    -Kim

15. Phyllis@Aimless Conversation posted on January 29, 2009 at 11:40 am (#

As easy as this looks, I’m sure I could mess it up…

16. Phyllis@Aimless Conversation posted on January 29, 2009 at 11:40 am (#

As easy as this looks, I’m sure I could mess it up…

17. islandgirl posted on January 29, 2009 at 5:18 pm (#

Those papers you used were beautiful too! TFS!

18. islandgirl posted on January 29, 2009 at 5:18 pm (#

Those papers you used were beautiful too! TFS!

19. everyday mom posted on January 31, 2009 at 11:44 pm (#

Thanks you inspired me and I had a go, I didn’t use the mod podge though but next time I will. You can check mine out if you like at http://everydaymomofone.blogspot.com. Thanks for the great idea I never would have thought of it.

20. everyday mom posted on January 31, 2009 at 11:44 pm (#

21. SimplyHappyMe posted on February 9, 2009 at 9:14 am (#

Hi TidyMom! nice tutorial! makes me want to try it out though i’m not very good in crafts. hehe.

I saw your nails and they look like they were professionally done! The French tips look great =)

22. SimplyHappyMe posted on February 9, 2009 at 9:14 am (#

23. Pajama Mama posted on April 8, 2009 at 2:19 pm (#

I’ve always wondered how the smudged ink effect was done! Thanks,
    kristen

24. Pajama Mama posted on April 8, 2009 at 2:19 pm (#

I’ve always wondered how the smudged ink effect was done! Thanks,
    kristen

25. BrooklynAlizabeth posted on April 20, 2009 at 1:41 pm (#

SOO glad i found your blog. Love it! Found you on twitter. Following you. (@monogramgifts)
    Paige

26. BrooklynAlizabeth posted on April 20, 2009 at 1:41 pm (#

Paige

27. Angie posted on April 20, 2009 at 1:50 pm (#

This is waaaay cute! I love it and it does look really easy!
    Thanks for sharing.

28. Angie posted on April 20, 2009 at 1:50 pm (#

This is waaaay cute! I love it and it does look really easy!
    Thanks for sharing.

29. Anonymous posted on August 25, 2009 at 4:48 pm (#

I have been wanting to try this and now thanks to your step by step instructions i feel ready to do so….the ones that you made are so cute, i hope mine will turn out as well!

30. Anonymous posted on August 25, 2009 at 4:48 pm (#

31. Christina posted on August 31, 2009 at 11:23 pm (#

Visiting from Today's Creative Blog. THIS IS SOMETHING I COULD DO! Thank-YOU! I'm not super creative… and this is somethign I could do… YAY! THanks!

32. Christina posted on August 31, 2009 at 11:23 pm (#

33. Carrie posted on September 4, 2009 at 12:02 pm (#

So cute! And easy….

34. Carrie posted on September 4, 2009 at 12:02 pm (#

So cute! And easy….

35. melissa posted on September 5, 2009 at 12:13 am (#

Cheryl~I love these~they would be so cute in my girls' room! Great pics and great tutorial!

36. melissa posted on September 5, 2009 at 12:13 am (#

37. Amy {The Red Chair Blog} posted on September 5, 2009 at 2:04 pm (#

These are adorable! Thanks for the tutorial!

38. Amy {The Red Chair Blog} posted on September 5, 2009 at 2:04 pm (#

These are adorable! Thanks for the tutorial!

39. KK posted on November 29, 2009 at 10:45 am (#

Is there a certain type of Modge Podge that is best to use for paper to wood projects? Finish–Matte or Gloss? I've never used the stuff before. I'd love to make some of these up for Christmas. I have a bottle of the Paper Matte Modge Podge. Will it work for this project?

Thanks!

40. KK posted on November 29, 2009 at 10:45 am (#

Thanks!

41. TidyMom posted on November 29, 2009 at 11:26 am (#

KK – either should work fine – Gloss will just give it more luster/shinny finish

42. TidyMom posted on November 29, 2009 at 11:26 am (#

43. Angie posted on October 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm (#

The tutorial was here this morning and gone this afternoon! I just got back from Michael’s and can’t get the site to show anything but the comments. HELP!!! I have to do this. I just bought all the stuff :(

44. Erika posted on January 25, 2012 at 10:00 am (#

I LOVE this idea!! I am definitely going to try it. Are those standing frames that you used or did you add something to them?

Thanks:)

45. Kristin posted on February 18, 2012 at 11:31 pm (#

I made a few frames using this tutorial! I didn’t stain the wood though, instead I spray painted it and I didn’t add any distressed look with the ink because I liked how they looked.

46. Courtnei posted on April 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm (#

Really cute gift idea. How did u get the frames to stand up? U didn’t mention if the frames came with stands. Thanks!!!

47. Sky posted on July 12, 2012 at 4:22 pm (#

i just got finished making this and i love them! i made 6 (make great gifts) and it took me forever.. but it was worth it! i couldnt find ink anywhere so instead i just used some more stain with a sponge brush. they still have that worn look. thanks so much for the great idea!

48. Tai posted on July 30, 2012 at 7:12 am (#

When you bought the wood frames did it come with the back or how do it make it