Home and Garden

Using your camera to decorate!

I have a little tip to share for “Works-For-Me Wednesday”

I’m a bit of a creature of habit. I can decorate, but when I come up with something I like, I don’t like to change it.

Part of my anxiety about decorating for Christmas is undoing displays in my house and coming up with ways to decorate with all of my Christmas decor.

A few years ago it dawned on me……..Take pictures of my Christmas displays! and then the following year I went a step farther and took a picture of my home BEFORE I put out Christmas, so when I take it all down, I know how to put it back. LOL

I printed my pictures, and I put them away with my Christmas decorations, so now when I pull all of my Christmas out, I just start building my displays like I did last year. If I get new items, I make sure to take new pictures of new things I did each year.

This may not work for everyone, but our house is a little tight on space and I have a lot of Christmas to put out, so this little tip has taken some of the stress off of me when I’m putting it all out AND when it’s time to take it all down.!

Be sure to check out other great Works-For-Me Wednesday tips at Rocks in My Dryer.

post signature

36 Responses to “Using your camera to decorate!”

1. Susan posted on December 10, 2008 at 12:26 pm (#

I love that idea! I read somewhere else about packing up Christmas stuff by room it will go in. If I combine that idea with yours about the photo, I should have a much easier time next Dec. Thank you!

2. Susan posted on December 10, 2008 at 12:26 pm (#

3. Steph posted on December 10, 2008 at 12:34 pm (#

What a great idea!

4. Steph posted on December 10, 2008 at 12:34 pm (#

What a great idea!

5. tidymom posted on December 10, 2008 at 12:36 pm (#

Susan, that’s another great idea too! thanks!

Steph, thanks it’s come in really handy, I just had to share!

~Tidymom

6. ilovemy5kids posted on December 10, 2008 at 12:36 pm (#

What a neat site! I’m glad I stumbled upon it! :)

7. tidymom posted on December 10, 2008 at 12:36 pm (#

Susan, that’s another great idea too! thanks!

Steph, thanks it’s come in really handy, I just had to share!

~Tidymom

8. ilovemy5kids posted on December 10, 2008 at 12:36 pm (#

What a neat site! I’m glad I stumbled upon it! :)

9. Wani posted on December 10, 2008 at 1:00 pm (#

Great idea! If I did real decorating that’d be really helpful. I’m lucky we got our tree up without anything breaking(yet)!

10. Wani posted on December 10, 2008 at 1:00 pm (#

11. Jenn posted on December 10, 2008 at 1:20 pm (#

I do this!! Well, I dont print them out, Ive got them on a disc and refer back to last yr to see how I had everything placed:)

Great mindssssssss!!!

12. Jenn posted on December 10, 2008 at 1:20 pm (#

Great mindssssssss!!!

13. whoopsadasie posted on December 10, 2008 at 4:07 pm (#

What a good idea! I hate having to figure out where everything goes every year! Thanks for sharing!!

14. whoopsadasie posted on December 10, 2008 at 4:07 pm (#

15. Pam at Antique or Not posted on December 10, 2008 at 4:12 pm (#

Cheryl, what a terrific idea! Thanks so much for sharing.

16. Pam at Antique or Not posted on December 10, 2008 at 4:12 pm (#

Cheryl, what a terrific idea! Thanks so much for sharing.

17. tidymom posted on December 10, 2008 at 4:54 pm (#

ilovemy5kids- glad you stumble IN! LOL

Wani -at least you have your tree up! we’re still working on ours! LOL

Jenn – you’re right -GREAT MINDS!!

Whoopsadaise – you’re welcome

Pam- I used to do that in the shop all the time if I we sold a piece of furniture with a display I liked I’d take a picture so I could recreated it on another piece!

18. tidymom posted on December 10, 2008 at 4:54 pm (#

ilovemy5kids- glad you stumble IN! LOL

Wani -at least you have your tree up! we’re still working on ours! LOL

Jenn – you’re right -GREAT MINDS!!

Whoopsadaise – you’re welcome

19. CJ, the Purple Diva posted on December 10, 2008 at 9:18 pm (#

WOW, how did you get so smart? Can you teach me? ?
    I loved this idea and by golly I am going to use it! THANKS!

20. CJ, the Purple Diva posted on December 10, 2008 at 9:18 pm (#

WOW, how did you get so smart? Can you teach me? ?
    I loved this idea and by golly I am going to use it! THANKS!

21. Totallyscrappy posted on December 10, 2008 at 9:53 pm (#

Now, why didn’t I think of that? :)

22. Totallyscrappy posted on December 10, 2008 at 9:53 pm (#

Now, why didn’t I think of that? :)

23. Buzzings of a Queen Bee! posted on December 10, 2008 at 10:53 pm (#

This is a great idea! It does seem so stressful to redecorate for just one month…at least if you have a photo you know how to put it all back together!
    Carrie

24. Buzzings of a Queen Bee! posted on December 10, 2008 at 10:53 pm (#

Carrie

25. linda posted on December 11, 2008 at 7:03 pm (#

Just stopping by and thought I’d leave a comment…hope you don’t mind.

I’ve too have thought of taking pictures and plan on doing so this year. I’ve gotten so many new decorating ideas since I’ve started blogging, I want to remember next year all of the new ideas that I’ve incorporated this year. You’re right, taking pictures is just the way to do it!

Hope your having a great week.

Linda

26. linda posted on December 11, 2008 at 7:03 pm (#

Just stopping by and thought I’d leave a comment…hope you don’t mind.

Hope your having a great week.

Linda

27. Jerri - Simply Sweet Home posted on December 12, 2008 at 8:32 am (#

Great idea.

28. Jerri - Simply Sweet Home posted on December 12, 2008 at 8:32 am (#

Great idea.

29. Shannon posted on December 12, 2008 at 12:22 pm (#

I do this too and it helps so much! In fact, I do it for every season that I redecorate for.

30. Shannon posted on December 12, 2008 at 12:22 pm (#

31. tidymom posted on December 12, 2008 at 2:29 pm (#

CJ – not SMART – just resourceful! LOL

Totallyscrappy – give it a try!!

Carrie – yes, anything I can do to reduce stress! LOL

Linda- I’m right there with you! LOTS of ideas this year with blogging- I’ll have to start in July next year!!

Jerri- Thanks!!

Shannon – it sure helps doesn’t it?

32. tidymom posted on December 12, 2008 at 2:29 pm (#

CJ – not SMART – just resourceful! LOL

Totallyscrappy – give it a try!!

Carrie – yes, anything I can do to reduce stress! LOL

Jerri- Thanks!!

Shannon – it sure helps doesn’t it?

33. ~Billie~ posted on December 12, 2008 at 7:28 pm (#

What a cool tip! Definitely, not something I would have come up with on my own. =)

34. ~Billie~ posted on December 12, 2008 at 7:28 pm (#

35. Belinda posted on December 18, 2008 at 3:34 am (#

Too have some fantastic home decor ideas for Christmas to share with you.

36. Belinda posted on December 18, 2008 at 3:34 am (#

Too have some fantastic home decor ideas for Christmas to share with you.